Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times

Advertisements

Here in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, Canadians consider it a very sunny spot even though it only gets 1800 to 1900 hours of sunshine per year. Therefore, if parts of the UK get similar, I would think that by Canadian standards, that isn't too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 04:00 PM

607 posts, read 649,007 times
The SE of England is atypical in a way because of its summer temperatures: while most of the UK struggles to top 21C as an average high, London is like 23-24. Also it gets far more days over 25 and 30 than the rest of the country, a tendency that has seemed even more pronounced in the last 10-15 years. Nowhere in the UK really escapes the damn cloud though, even the warmest parts have no guaranteed sunny season like Vancouver/Seattle gets.

In terms of land area, anywhere in Australia that doesn't have a Koppen A, B or Cs climate is unusual and very little of the country doesn't, however a lot of the population lives in these areas. Probably only 5% of the land area.

The best case I can think of where a capital has a climate untypical of the country is Oslo in Norway: Cold, dry winters where the rest of the country is mild and wet or cold and snowy; almost continental summers with lots of sun but also a summer rainfall maximum: very untypical of a country where the prevailing climate is oceanic or subarctic, depending on latitude and elevation.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,184,193 times
Excluding mountainous areas, the most impressive to me are:
- Sochi: warm temperate in a very cold continental country
- Green Spain: cloudy and rainy with cool summers, in a dry and hot country
- Northern Florida: authentic cold snaps and freezes in the country where it is summer even in wintertime

SE England is a bit different from the rest of the country but still not that far from England's stereotype...the climate is the same cool oceanic, with frequent rainfall, cloudy and windy.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's very striking how much of the flat countryside of southern Finland resembles the flatter rural areas of eastern Canada. And as you go further central-north there are also areas of Finland that resemble many parts of central-north Ontario and Quebec. You don't have black spruce I believe but there are trees that are skinny spruce-type in your videos and photos that are very similar to the vegetation here.

Very interesting.
Indeed. I watched a video from highway 41 in Ontario west of Ottawa, and the scenery looked very familiar in many places.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:46 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kautokeino

Possibly the only town in Norway that has a continental subarctic climate.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
Places like these in CA:

Kirkwood, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gasquet, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as pretty much everywhere in Washington east of the Cascades.
I would also add Bodie, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crazy climate... not something most people think of when they think of California. No wonder it's a ghost town :P

Also, maybe this is just me, but as a child I always imagined Ethiopia to be exceptionally hot. Definitely not the case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addis_Ababa#Climate

Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Indeed. I watched a video from highway 41 in Ontario west of Ottawa, and the scenery looked very familiar in many places.
Sweden is also very similar I found.

This is about 15 minutes from my house:

http://goo.gl/maps/ELTc3

Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I want to add infamous Moorehead Minnesota for a dew point in the mid 80s. Most people don't associate Minnesota with heat and humidity.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 AM

19 posts, read 27,802 times
Here's a good one: the balmy south coast of Sweden. Warm sunny summers with VERY long days, and not all that much snowfall in the winter with temps within a few degrees above or below the freezing point most of the winter. Very much a temperate, balanced four-season climate, despite being more than 55 North.

I THINK there are even a few fan palm trees (almost certainly some form of Trachycarpus) that somebody planted on Sweden's south coast, that are thriving reasonably well! And the summers there are significantly warmer than on the coast of, say, England or Ireland due to this area's greater proximity to the interior of central and eastern Europe, which has the warmest summers of the upper midlatitudes.

Last edited by Karl Bonner; 03-29-2014 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: quick changes of mind

Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bonner View Post
Here's a good one: the balmy south coast of Sweden. Warm sunny summers with VERY long days,

I THINK there are even a few fan palm trees (almost certainly some form of Trachycarpus) that somebody planted on Sweden's south coast, that are thriving reasonably well! And the summers there are significantly warmer than on the coast of, say, England

What is your definition of "warm"? Looks like temps of 71-72F(22C) and low temps of 55-56F (13-13.5C). London and SE England are warmer than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather