Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,971 times

Advertisements

I have generally seen Japan depicted or portrayed as a wet climate. Japanese gardens are very lush and generally include elements that evoke a well-watered environment, like moss. The primary grain grown and eaten in Japan too is rice, which implies a wet environment.

If anyone has experience with Japanese climates and could compare them to similar climates on other continents, does it "feel" particularly wet?

It appears they do have a bit more rain over the year in amount (it seems humid subtropical Japanese climates have perhaps a third more than comparable mid-Atlantic climates). However, by looking at the stats, it seems like some Japanese climates don't seem that much rainier in rain days than say, American East coast climates. Tokyo seems to have fewer days of rain than Washington, D.C or New York City. Does it mean most fall in thunderstorms, or heavy showers, rather than drizzle like British or Pacific Northwest climates, which are cooler?

Also, it seems there are less sunshine hours in Japan than in the US coastal cities with similar climates. Does it make Japan feel cloudier? Does it seem the streets are wet more? Or is it really all not too different.

If you lived in Japan's climate, could you tell that it feels different than a similar US Mid-Atlantic or Northeast climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Yes, Japan is overly cloudier than the East Coast.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,971 times
I wonder though if the gloominess/cloudiness is on the scale of Britain's reputation though with drizzle (probably not, right, the climate type isn't alike). But not as sunny as mid-Atlantic US either. Japan isn't as high latitude as Britain or the Pacific northwest or actually even much of non-Mediterranean Europe, so the sun should be brighter than those places even with cloud.

I wonder too if the cloudy days are necessarily full overcast or partially cloudy.

Why is Japan not particularly rainy in rain days but has less sun that the US East, I wonder. How would that feel? Many cloudy, dry days but still humidity in the air?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
The two weeks I spent in Okinawa one June was the most humidity I've ever felt. Worse than NYC, Florida, SC, New Orleans, Houston etc. Qatar was bad too but it was always windy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather