Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 08:48 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
You do realise how big London is right?

Whatever you say does not alter the fact that the actual Met Office averages completely disagree with everything you say

And as has been pointed out Colchester does not have a Met Office weather station that records temperatures, there is one that only records rainfall. The Wikipedia climate box for Colchester says it is using estimated 1981-2010 averages, most likely from an amateur weather station.
London isn't that big an area actually .

Check out the individual stations dotted around East anglia - most read around 22.6 to 23.0 (i've now been told)

reference this with stations in the south east and around the London area and they are lower - typically 22.5.

All i have seen so far is a London average of 23.16 that doesn't take account of UHI - and i'm pretty sure there are genuine readings higher than that around East Anglia - wiki notes at least 2 - .

if you stuck boxes here there and everywhere all over East Anglia ,on the law of averages ONE would come out higher than 23.16

If i had my way ,readings would be adjusted for UHI anyway

Old 05-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
East Bergholt is in a more favourable position for warming climates than London because it is on the threshold of the continent and at a greater distance from the Atlantic low-pressure systems that moderates summer temps. It's certainly not as warm as London right now, but over time I think it may well be the first UK station to pass a 24.0C avg high for 30 years sometime this century.
Thanking you Lommaren

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The Kew Gardens averages are 81-10. The summer highs are the same as Heathrow but are warmer in every other month.

Ok, but do you agree that the UHI will increase the high temps as well even if by only a small amount?

Quote:
. According to the EPA, many U.S. cities have air temperatures up to 10°F (5.6°C) warmer than the surrounding natural land cover. This temperature difference usually is larger at night than during the day and larger in winter than in summer, and is most apparent when winds are weak.
https://scied.ucar.edu/longcontent/urban-heat-islands

Quote:
Characteristics of UHI
As a result of urban development, urban areas have experienced a more rapid increase in temperature than the surrounding rural, agricultural, and wildland areas (Figure 3)2. Some general characteristics of the UHI are as follows.

Average minimum temperatures increase more than maximum temperatures.
Average nighttime temperatures increase more than the average daytime temperatures.
Urban areas experience year-round increases in the minimum daily temperatures.
The UHI causes longer daily warm periods and shorter daily cool periods.
Compared to rural areas, the duration of the hot season is extended in urban areas.
Temperatures can substantially vary between urban neighborhoods—the amount of vegetation plays a significant role in damping the UHI.3
Urban Heat Island: Raising City Temperatures | Southwest Climate Change Network

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
If i had my way ,readings would be adjusted for UHI anyway
Why would you adjust? The whole point of weather readings is to inform people of the conditions, regardless of the factors behind them.

If you had your way weather would read like: 32C in NYC DISCLAIMER - This doesn't count because of UHI effect.

And: 35C in Miami - This doesn't count because it's at a southern latitude

Old 05-13-2017, 08:53 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
The North Sea has its own Low Pressure systems.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Why would you adjust? The whole point of weather readings is to inform people of the conditions, regardless of the factors behind them.

I realise that Razza . Same applies to all large cities .

But all that concrete robs outer zones like East Anglia of it's maximum . Next they will be looking to claim the driest spot .

All those glass skyscrapers reflect the suns rays onto the street as well you realise , and warm them up too ?
It was like the Bahamas when i walked around London in March . Some bloke said ' yeah ,we are having a UHI heatwave due to the position of the sun. '

Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
East Bergholt and Writtle are 23.0 and 22.8 respectively.

Levington is 22.4c. Othet than those, most stations in the southern part of East Anglia barely reach 22c. Wattisham (the closest station to Colchester) has an average high of 21.9c in July.

Lol, robbing East Anglia? Nonsense. If anything, a strong UHI would lead to warmer temps downwind (which in England would be to the NE).

Nobody has ever said London is the driest place in England. Infact, just a couple of weeks ago I said that the driest place is St Osyth near Clacton, averaging 503mm per year.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post

If you had your way weather would read like: 32C in NYC DISCLAIMER - This doesn't count because of UHI effect.

And: 35C in Miami - This doesn't count because it's at a southern latitude

ermm, there is a difference between Latitude and a load of man made obstacles pushing up the temps - albeit mainly overnight .

UK

warmest winter max - Isles of Scilly
warmest non assisted summer max - East Bergholt ,Essex/Suffolk
Sunniest - Sussex and Isle of Wight (4 towns )
Driest - Colchester area/ Essex

London - nothing of note

Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
I think you are exaggerating. London is not Manhattan.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:12 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
I think you are exaggerating. London is not Manhattan.
Is that your mum in the blue shirt? Sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather