Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
How strong was the wind at your place? I've seen a lot of video about the damages caused by the wind at the TV news, it should have been a really strong wind!

Here on the North instead it rained a lot, and the real snow in most cases was above 1000 m (I live at 600 m of altitude and we get some cm of snow on Saturday night, for the rest of the time it has rained). In practice only the Cuneo province should have received a good amount of snow also at low altitudes.

About my place, I've found a video made by the site "Ilmeteo.it" in which it is showed how much it snowed just above my place (altitude 1000-1800m)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da5Yw-ruLfU
^the real video starts at 00:10
That one is the road that goes in the direction of the Mont Cenis Pass, on the French borderline.
This one was probably the most intense snow event this winter (at least at high altitudes).
It hit 77 km/h on Sunday evening but the recording station is in the midst of the city center although it's not really sheltered from buildings (as it should be), i guess that winds are still slower than somewhere in the outskirts of the city.

The amount of snow on Mont Cenis looked impressive. By the way, it seems that the North is in for new snowstorms.

Here are the areas at sea level that should be involved:

Old 03-02-2016, 10:06 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
snow in march ? what's the point ?

also, here it is only more rain in the forecast, it should not go below 3c or the like.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:08 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
It hit 77 km/h on Sunday evening but the recording station is in the midst of the city center although it's not really sheltered from buildings (as it should be), i guess that winds are still slower than somewhere in the outskirts of the city.

The amount of snow on Mont Cenis looked impressive. By the way, it seems that the North is in for new snowstorms.

Here are the areas at sea level that should be involved:
Looking at my weather forecast it looks like we are going to have a "late winter". There are a lot of below freezing lows and possibility of snow in the weather forecast for the next week...
The predicted altitudes for snow are also lower than last time, maybe this time we will manage to have snow (without any rain over it) even here in the bottom of the valley.

About the snow video, actually the video was taken some Km before the Pass of Mont Cenis (I specify it only because there is a difference of nearly 300 m between the altitude of the highest point present in the video and the Pass, and because Mont Cenis is on the French side of the border line and so I have some problem at calling it "my place").

Anyway this is not a so high amount of snow. For a single snow event it was not bad at all, but in here during a normal winters the snow manages to accumulate all along the winter reaching the height of a couple of meters in correspondence of the places shown at the end of the video and at higher altitude (this winter instead has been much drier than usual until beginning of January, and also January and February were drier than usual).
The highest amount of snow I've ever seen along that road is 150 cm or so in the correspondence of the places shown in the first part of the video, and a couple of meters in the place shown at the end.
My dad brought me and my sister a couple of times in that place for playing with the snow and with our sleds, it was really funny (there is a really easy slope over there) Once instead we went in the proximity of the border line (altitude just below 2000 m), and I remember that I had to climb the snow next to the road to reach the top (over there temperatures are really low at night, so there were a couple of meters of cold and hard snow). It was really funny too

Old 03-04-2016, 04:31 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
https://twitter.com/MarkVogan/status/705716311729545220

Old 03-04-2016, 09:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Can we get some pics of snow covered Alps? Maybe Rozenne as the French Alps are my favorite.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:14 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Could get as low as 0c here overnight. Improvements in about a week with highs of 15-17c.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:22 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Could get as low as 0c here overnight. Improvements in about a week with highs of 15-17c.
"As low as 0C". You're saying it as if it's some freak temperature, when in fact it's only a couple of degrees below average, then follow that up with the temperatures from the daft weather online 2 week 'forecasts'.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:34 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Can we get some pics of snow covered Alps? Maybe Rozenne as the French Alps are my favorite.
Not Rozenn or France here, but this was Zugspitze (the highest point in Germany, 2962 metres) last Saturday. I'd never been to the Alps in winter before so had never experienced how blindingly bright the sun can be reflecting off the snow. At the actual summit it was about -9C and exposed to the wind so unpleasantly cold, but slightly lower down where the third picture was taken it was about -6C and sheltered, and felt oddly warm in the direct sunshine.

No snow in Garmisch though at 700 m, the lower slopes were having to use artificial snow. Can anybody explain why there would be so many little huts dotted all over the field like that?

Old 03-04-2016, 09:40 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
"As low as 0C". You're saying it as if it's some freak temperature, when in fact it's only a couple of degrees below average, then follow that up with the temperatures from the daft weather online 2 week 'forecasts'.
That forecast looked a bit sensationalist as if we were going to get snow and hard frosts, when in actual fact we will barely get a frost here. It's 3c below normal but March usually gets a couple of frosts.

You call it daft but March always has a mild and sunny spell late in the month, 16c wouldn't be that great. The coldest March on record in 2013 still managed 16c.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:38 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Not Rozenn or France here, but this was Zugspitze (the highest point in Germany, 2962 metres) last Saturday. I'd never been to the Alps in winter before so had never experienced how blindingly bright the sun can be reflecting off the snow. At the actual summit it was about -9C and exposed to the wind so unpleasantly cold, but slightly lower down where the third picture was taken it was about -6C and sheltered, and felt oddly warm in the direct sunshine.

No snow in Garmisch though at 700 m, the lower slopes were having to use artificial snow. Can anybody explain why there would be so many little huts dotted all over the field like that?

Very nice pics! Mountains look beautiful as I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather