Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 02:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Coastal areas in southern England are mostly warmer in September than in June.

In somewhere like London, summery weather is normal for the first 10-15 days of September, but the temp decreases by about 4c as the month progresses. June is also much sunnier than September - even April is notably sunnier.

Average high on 1st June is 20c, up to 22c on 30th. 1st September has an average high of 22c, but by the 30th that has dropped to 18c.
September is sunnier than June in percent terms here.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:55 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Similar to much of NZ (particularly the North Island) where April is the same, or warmer than November -true seasonal lag.

My climate has February-March warmer than December-January, but April is 1C colder than November.
Yeah, I think by October the sun angle has lowered enough to finally combat the still warm SSTs and cut into some of the lag.

By December, the temperature mean is nearly identical to February here.

Quote:
Yep, true. Seasonal lag doesn't seem to be an Oceanic thing, as much a coastal thing -although Bologna shows there there are exceptions to that.

Looking at the temperature drop off in London during September, is it possible that London can Match Chicago in that cool off, relative to annual range?

March here is sunnier than December, which is reflected by March having warmer highs, but colder lows than December
Though, November-December is colder than February-March in Bologna.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna#Climate

Seems to be a rather popular pattern for inland continental climates to have a seasonal lead in late fall/winter and a seasonal lag in late spring/summer.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:45 PM

58 posts, read 33,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Are you talking about anomalies from normal?
Yes,especially Canada are off the charts compared to longtime averages.
I don't understand how the United States and Canada still get so much heat this late,while the avgs say it's usually much colder there.
Most of Northern,Western and Central Europe drop off the warmth radar next week,and it will be a long time till we will see any warmth.
The climate isn't changing in Europe's favor,i think we will get colder and colder while you get warmer and warmer.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:33 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
^^ Which data are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Seems to be a rather popular pattern for inland continental climates to have a seasonal lead in late fall/winter and a seasonal lag in late spring/summer.
That's the case in many oceanic and some mediterranean climates too. Places like Seattle, Sacramento, Paris, etc. In western North America, the effect is particularly pronounced.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonborncomes View Post
I don't understand how the United States and Canada still get so much heat this late,while the avgs say it's usually much colder there.
Most of Northern,Western and Central Europe drop off the warmth radar next week,and it will be a long time till we will see any warmth.
The climate isn't changing in Europe's favor,i think we will get colder and colder while you get warmer and warmer.
Absolute rubbish.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:56 PM

29,521 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonborncomes View Post
Well let's see what the last 6 years look like shall we?

I think your perception is off a bit.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:50 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,409,546 times

Quite chilly this morning in southern Germany. Coldest temperature in Stuttgart Airport since May 5th.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
4.3mm of rain so far in September, only 11 days left of the month, and no rain on the forecast either.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:11 AM

September has an average high of 21C so far, but it will inevitably continue to fall. Still looking like a warm month overall though - possibly warmer than June.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:29 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Yep, strong seasonal lag is only a feature of some Oceanic climates. Somewhere like London or Glasgow are poor examples, relative to annual range. Bologna has a more pronounced one,relative to it's annual range.
that said I don't find it particularly pronounced, the first half of september is basically still summer here, then the temp decreases pretty fast. The highs lose 7c between September and october, and 7 more between October and November. Now it is still short sleeves weather pretty much, within two months I'll most certainly have to wear a coat or at least a heavy jacket.

Also, october is cooler than may by 3c. The main difference in the fall is the shorter days, the lower diurnal range, the higher relative humidity and the increasing cloud cover.

The reason continental climates in the northern US already have freezes by october is also because their winters are much colder to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather