Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

Athens, GA gets a B- from me.

Pros

- Winters are cool enough not to have to use air conditioning
- Plenty of steady, soaking rain events during the winter, with occasional wintry precipitation
- Spring weather arrives in March instead of April
- Somewhat lower tornado risk than the rest of the deep South
- An extra month of summer weather
- Fall is mostly sunny and dry with warm days and cool nights
- Typically enough chill in the air by sunset around Christmastime to get people in the holiday spirit

Cons

- Not enough wintry precipitation
- Too cold to do much outdoors during the winter despite a relative lack of wintry precipitation
- Severe weather season starts earlier than most places
- Occasional high-pressure "wedges" result in cool, gloomy weather during the spring
- Very humid and prone to triple-digit heat during the summer
- The relentless heat and humidity gets old by August
- A secondary severe weather season during the late fall
- Occasional warm spells in December create a Christmas buzzkill

By the way, I lived in Pittsburgh for 15 years, and it's actually not perpetually cloudy there. The cloud cover is most persistent from November through March. That's when it can be excessive. It's actually quite pleasant from June through October. (April and May are variable.) Here's a picture I took in September 2010:

And here's a picture somebody on the Pittsburgh forum took in June 2012:

If a typical Pittsburgh summer was relentlessly cloudy or rainy, then PNC Park would have been built with a retractable roof to compensate for it. Pittsburgh is cloudier than the average city in the United States, but the United States is sunnier than most of Europe and Asia, so it's all relative anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:05 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
The major city nearest me, Nashville, TN, gets a 78% / C+. However, my town is about 20 miles north of Nashville and around 500 ft higher elevation, making it just cold enough and snowy enough in the winter to squeeze out a higher grade. It gets an 80% / B-. Bowling Green, KY, where I am going to college from August 24, gets an 81% / B-. Individual years can get C or B depending on the conditions; a year with a mild winter and cool summer is likely to get a C or even a D. Cold winter and hotter than average summer will probably bring a B. The best years such as 1977 and 1985 can even get a low-end A.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,716 times
Pros

- Summers are warm and sunny
- Winters are cool but not very cold
- Plenty of thunderstorms in summer
- Spring weather arrives in March
- No tornados.
- Spring and summer are awesome
- Low humidity in summer
- Winter rainfall is relatively low
- Occasional warm spells in winter

Cons

- High diurnal range (lows can be in the single digits in summer and highs ~ 20C higher.)
- Winters could be warmer
- It could be sunnier year-round
- Not enough tropical nights.
- 4 seasons (I'd like to have two; spring and summer.)

I'll give it a B-.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:26 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,303,760 times
Pros
- Long summers (Nov-Mar).
- Warm autumn and late Spring.
- Some early/late summer thunderstorms.
- Little/no summer rainfall.
- Chance of early Spring variation (e.g. 27-30˚C in September/October).
- Autumn begins in April.
- Good weather in winter for sports.
- Low humidity in summer (although recently I discovered that humidity doesn't affect me (monsoon season in India)).
- Sunshine hours

Cons
- Winter is very boring.
-Cold weather (below 22-25˚C).
- Cold Spring.
- Sea breezes ruin late spring/early summer heat.
- Cold mornings
- Summer is not hot enough (average maximum needs to be 34-36˚C).
- High diurnal range
- Lots of rain

Old 07-31-2015, 08:23 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Could be better, could be much worse. The winters are too cold for me. In the summer, humidity is too inconsistent and there are not enough thunderstorms. There is too much cold precipitation, and not enough warm convective rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Bowling Green, KY, where I am going to college from August 24, gets an 81% / B-.
Blowing Green is my version of Perfffff because it's a thunderstorm magnet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather