Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM

5,587 posts, read 10,588,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Climate in London Weather Centre in August 2003 - Historical weather records

I think that low is the UK record, although I'm not sure. Lows above 20C are pretty rare in this country.
Even the Scandinavian countries seem to get warmer nights during summer warm spells. That could be the shorter darkness there though.
The record highest low is actually 23.9C in Brighton on 3 August 1990. I think LWC was a rooftop site, which means it would give higher lows than somewhere with a standard exposure.

Some of the warm nights some of the far northern coastal places in Scandinavia can get look unreal: a low of 24.2C at Makkaur lighthouse in northern Norway at 71N! I'm impressed somewhere like that even gets highs that warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
In the Midwest near 90% of the homes here have AC. I would bet the average for Illinois alone is over 90%. Nationwide the average is 87% (2009 study). But for those who don't a night like that, ceiling fans won't cut it.
Interesting that the majority of A/C in the Northeast is room A/Cs but nowhere else is. Assumed central A/C would be the minority everywhere except the south. For Massachusetts, 22% of homes have no A/C. 20% of homes have central A/C, the rest are window units, which are often just for a bedroom.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post

Some of the warm nights some of the far northern coastal places in Scandinavia can get look unreal: a low of 24.2C at Makkaur lighthouse in northern Norway at 71N! I'm impressed somewhere like that even gets highs that warm.
Probably little cooling at night from the short nights. But that must be strange to experience. What was the dew point? If the dew point is much lower, than my explanation is right. (Just didn't have a chance for radiative cooling).

Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 AM

83,292 posts, read 74,544,003 times
Heads up on storms today.

Getting Dark here 11:50am.. Temps & Dewpoints in mid 70s.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:55 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,787,410 times
Quote:
The record highest low is actually 23.9C in Brighton on 3 August 1990. I think LWC was a rooftop site, which means it would give higher lows than somewhere with a standard exposure.

that's fascinating. sure, there's midnight sun there. but still, norway is basically tundra north of 70N and the mean temp in july hovers around 10C. 24C for a daily low shouldn't be possible.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:56 AM

5,587 posts, read 10,588,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Probably little cooling at night from the short nights. But that must be strange to experience. What was the dew point? If the dew point is much lower, than my explanation is right. (Just didn't have a chance for radiative cooling).
I don't know, I just got it from what Jakobsli said here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34853761-post37.html

The short nights / lack of night must help, but there's more to it than that if somewhere near Trondheim can get a 25C low at the end of August. Having shorter nights doesn't do the northern parts of Britain any good when comparing summer lows with the south of the country. I imagine all these places up there that get these kind of lows are in very secluded and shallow bays with relatively high water temperatures and also benefit from foehn effects.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:05 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,659,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Climate in London Weather Centre in August 2003 - Historical weather records

I think that low is the UK record, although I'm not sure. Lows above 20C are pretty rare in this country.
Even the Scandinavian countries seem to get warmer nights during summer warm spells. That could be the shorter darkness there though.
Daylength can't be the only reason, because most of the high lows are in the south, even on days when it's as warm in the north where days are even longer. The Baltic and the thousands of lakes is probably the reason.

The southernmost tip of continental Finland hasn't gone below 20 in 5 days: Synop report summary

Old 07-27-2014, 11:06 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,456,548 times
One of the contenders for worst summer weather in the world?

Synop report summary

As for lows above 20C - never happened here as far as I'm concerned. When the skies are clear, the temperature always falls quickly. Our warmest nights occur when there is more cloud.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,659,149 times
Only 4 nights at 17C or more. Very surprising considering the highs: Synop report summary

Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 AM

3,592 posts, read 2,675,441 times
Quote:
I don't know, I just got it from what Jakobsli said here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34853761-post37.html

The short nights / lack of night must help, but there's more to it than that if somewhere near Trondheim can get a 25C low at the end of August. Having shorter nights doesn't do the northern parts of Britain any good when comparing summer lows with the south of the country. I imagine all these places up there that get these kind of lows are in very secluded and shallow bays with relatively high water temperatures and also benefit from foehn effects.
According to norwegian meteorologists, there are two main causes for warm nights ("tropical night") in Norway.
The first is warm sea temperatures, which happens in the south of the country, usually in late July and August. Therefore, the locations with the most tropical nights are lighhouses along the southern coast. This lighthouse now has 6 "tropical nights" in a row: Synop report summary

But there can also be warm nights in the northern part of the country, even if the open sea never reaches 20C. Here the cause is warm air coming from the E /SE all night, and helped with local foehn -effects (very varied terrain in much of Norway) and short nights /non-existent nights, so the sun is relatively high very early in the morning. There will not be "tropical nights" in Northern Norway if the air is still / without warm breeze. Skrova Fyr (lighthouse) in Lofoten (200 km N of Arctic Circle) now has three "tropical nights" (minimum above 20C) this July: Synop report summary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather