Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 04:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times

Advertisements

Looks like further south got rain, is it part of a cold front moving through? No rain for us, just cloud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 04:34 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
The sky is clear with stars but I'm seeing lightning flickers from Indianapolis almost 200 miles away. How is that even possible?? Just amazing.
I can only track back 4hrs with this software but Here was the 2:30am radar. Looks like storms were about 100 miles away making it more possible. 200 miles would be nuts. Shaded areas were Watches.

I'll never forget seeing that as well. Clear skies with stars out and flashes of light up there from a storm 60 miles away. Couldn't hear the thunder from it. Pretty impressive!

Quote:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOUISVILLE KY
1206 AM EDT Thu Jun 19 2014

...Forecast Update...
Issued at 1203 AM EDT Thu Jun 19 2014

A complex of severe thunderstorms is diving across central Indiana
tonight. These thunderstorms will continue to dive southeastward
overnight towards the forecast area along an outflow boundary left
over from convection earlier tonight across Ohio and Indiana. These
storms are expected to potentially impact portions of our southern
IN and north central KY counties. There is some question as to
whether these storms will still be severe by the time they get here,
as the outflow may outrun the convection. If they do maintain their
intensity, damaging winds will be the main threat. A Severe
Thunderstorm Watch has thus been issued until 11Z. Tracking these
storms on IND`s radar, it looks like they may begin to impact far
northern portions of the forecast area by around 2-3 AM.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 AM

Finally doors and windows open again. Raining and 65°F. 0.10" of rain so far (just started). 7th day with rain this month so far. Dewpoints in the 60s but I don't mind.

Current Radar with temps

Old 06-19-2014, 05:17 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
My house got struck by lightning twice last night . Much cooler now at 68 F, and am finally having the windows open . It isnt supposed to even touch 80 F today, and lows are limited to around 50 F .

Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
^^

Your house actually got struck by lightning? Or was there lightning nearby?

Another round of severe weather in the Heartland Thursday | Chicago Weather Center Blog

Since this graphic was made last night, 4-8 inches of rain fell in Northwest Illinois

Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
My house got struck by lightning twice last night . Much cooler now at 68 F, and am finally having the windows open . It isnt supposed to even touch 80 F today, and lows are limited to around 50 F .
Wow. It woke me up last night. I was seeing flashes every 5 seconds for a good 10-20 minutes, I reckon. Mostly just the lightning, but some thunder, too.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:09 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Nice stretch of weather starting today, sunny with highs in 22C-27C range.
Very little rain forecast, might have to switch on sprinkler system.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 AM

30 posts, read 24,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post

For realzies!!?

Was it loud?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I can only track back 4hrs with this software but Here was the 2:30am radar. Looks like storms were about 100 miles away making it more possible. 200 miles would be nuts. Shaded areas were Watches.

I'll never forget seeing that as well. Clear skies with stars out and flashes of light up there from a storm 60 miles away. Couldn't hear the thunder from it. Pretty impressive!
Here's the best image I could find of around the time I posted. I'm about the bottom edge of the watch box so yeah, that is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Overcast View Post
For realzies!!?

Was it loud?
Saw a video a while back someone caught it from inside their house, it seems like it's actually quiet because the sound rushes out from it and not straight down. It was just a click sound. But of course if you don't have a lightning rod, it can make parts of the house explode which would obviously make some noise. A house on my street had to repair the chimney after it was literally blasted apart in all directions by a lightning bolt last year.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 AM

A trough over the Gulf of Alaska = what?

It promotes a ridge in the central U.S. If the trough is over Alaska the Jet buckles in the Pacific so the West gets the ridge and then the Jet buckles East of Rockies..

Here's the 7-10 day mean upper flow. I wasn't trying to make a face. lol.

Trough over gulf of Alaska (cool). Ridge pops in central U.S (Hot), notice the trough/ULL is not in the Northeast...it's further north in Eastern Canada.

So with this setup the East would be in a warm West flow get some downslope warm air from the appalacians.

Remember, If you're not under the Ridge( or have higher heights) it wont get extreme or Very Hot.

For End of June.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather