Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 04:46 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
No matter how many times you repeat it, it won't come true.
Compared to places at the same latitude it is colder in winter, and the record lows are insane.

That is not really accurate either. Compared to what places at the same latitude? East Asia is colder at the same latitude than Eastern North America when you look at average winter temperatures. The extreme record min's are colder in North America, but not the "average" winter temperatures. Compare Shanghai to Charleston, SC.

Charleston Jan avg high/low:

City = 58/43F
Airport = 60/39F

Shanghai

47/34F

Shanghai is at 31N, Charleston is 32N.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
In some people's minds, the west coast of continents are what places at their latitude *should* be.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:27 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
In some people's minds, the west coast of continents are what places at their latitude *should* be.
Hmm, that's an erroneous belief IMO. I don't think one can make any kind of generalisation about it. The west coasts of Africa and South America are very cool for their latitude.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Hmm, that's an erroneous belief IMO. I don't think one can make any kind of generalisation about it. The west coasts of Africa and South America are very cool for their latitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Quote:
Compared to places at the same latitude it is colder in winter, and the record lows are insane.
I've come to one conclusion: Eastern Asia is cool for its latitude, eastern North America is warm for its latitude. Everybody happy now?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That is not really accurate either. Compared to what places at the same latitude? East Asia is colder at the same latitude than Eastern North America when you look at average winter temperatures. The extreme record min's are colder in North America, but not the "average" winter temperatures.
I was skeptical of that, and made a thread on it. You're probably right, but it'd be nice to see thorough numbers on that.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
No it is not. The US South is comparable to subtropical North India/South America/Africa in terms of winter warmth. And the record lows are no colder than what was seen in other subtropical environments. To make the statement that the record lows are insane is nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Dont be sorry , this was an interesting and long successful thread . Besides you are the one who was on the receiving end of all the verbal abuse.
No, all I did was present my point, and refute the faulty arguments about the South having the coldest winter mins of any subtropical region.

Quote:
That is not really accurate either. Compared to what places at the same latitude? East Asia is colder at the same latitude than Eastern North America when you look at average winter temperatures. The extreme record min's are colder in North America, but not the "average" winter temperatures. Compare Shanghai to Charleston, SC.

Charleston Jan avg high/low:

City = 58/43F
Airport = 60/39F

Shanghai

47/34F

Shanghai is at 31N, Charleston is 32N.
The extreme mins in North America aren't colder.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
I finished my tour of the Gulf Coast, and I saw all sorts of tropical plants in all the cities, from H-Town to NOLA to Tampa to Corpus Christi, etc. I saw plumeria, papaya, mango, passion flowers, loquats, bitter leaf, queen palms, dates, etc.

The US South is a paradise for subtropical gardening. The heat and humidity from the Gulf allow for successful growing of tropical plants.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 PM

277 posts, read 315,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I finished my tour of the Gulf Coast, and I saw all sorts of tropical plants in all the cities, from H-Town to NOLA to Tampa to Corpus Christi, etc. I saw plumeria, papaya, mango, passion flowers, loquats, bitter leaf, queen palms, dates, etc.

The US South is a paradise for subtropical gardening. The heat and humidity from the Gulf allow for successful growing of tropical plants.
Did you catch the Derp Express? How was the onboard experience and most importantly did it have A/C?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

Why not show us some of your pics that you took of these plants?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:49 PM

277 posts, read 315,042 times
Quote:
Why not show us some of your pics that you took of these plants?
This guy reminds me of Kaul and his alleged trips to Yakutsk just to ask the locals if they preferred summer of winter....

Like Kaul, this fella is a special breed of mongoloid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather