Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM

613 posts, read 1,169,172 times

Advertisements

I know it's less humid and more dry in the winter, but parts of northern Florida seem to have an unusually large diurnal range.

Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tallahassee, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These places seem odd in not only having diurnal ranges in winter greater than those climates further north than them on the east coast, but even compared to those more arid than them too. It seems these cities on the supposedly humid "east" can have diurnal ranges closer to western climates.

Florida, though having a distinct dry season, is still not arid or anything, so how can it have diurnal ranges equivalent to that of Denver or Phoenix?

Anyone know why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
I would venture to guess because North FL has sandy soils? Sandy soils normally cool off and heat up really fast.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Soil Type. Wind. Solar heating during the day. Cloud cover. Humid areas. Elevation all play a role. Have to see what is influenced at the locations you mentioned. Each location will have their reasoning.

For Northern Florida I will assume latitude plays a role with the sun being warmer and because of the SouthEast ridge which pumps south winds during the day, then as the sun goes down the heat radiates back to space and the air cools off with the heat source not in the sky.

And depends what one calls "large" diurnal range.

Would you consider New Orleans to be?

How about Boise Idaho?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
I think greater deviation in winter minimums would be the main reason.

Do those places have climates in which the typical winter day has a diurnal range close close to the monthly averages? Or does it have large deviations from the average minimum?

Where I live, the diurnal range is nearly 12C/24F, yet it's rare for winter minimums to be more than 5C/10F colder than the average minimum (maybe once a winter) I'm guessing those cities see much greater deviation than that?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
That's amazing. Diurnal range should be twice as high in the summer than the winter, not the other way around (at least that's the way it is here... no wait, it's triple in the summer).

Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
The East Coast and the South aren't very subtropical. And there is a thread about that.

The eastern half of the US is very continental influenced. It won't be that warm - Even Miami has gotten that cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather