Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,630 posts, read 16,111,637 times

Advertisements

if atmosperic conditions determine weather contrails linger or disperse we should be able to get con trail forecasts... guess thats what they mean when they say filtered sunshine. I miss blue skies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM

336 posts, read 398,124 times
Where do you live? At my location there are contrails too, but also many days pass by without. It is very difficult to predict when contrails do occur. I think they mostly appear in high pressure situations....but not always.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM

607 posts, read 648,244 times
They are a menace in Britain, forming large areas of imitation cirrus/cirrostratus cloud that can dim the sun for hours at a time. We get few enough clear days as it is and it is maddening to see one ruined by this pollution that nobody seems willing to combat (while things at ground level are subject to all sorts of petty rules and regulations).

Until the late 90s the only contrails we saw here were the thin lines behind planes that lasted minutes. You still get them, but just as often it's this new kind that form thick marks, that can spread out into what can be easily taken for cloud. It really has only appeared since about 1998, and it seemed to get much more common from about 2004. Either the composition of the air up there has changed or what's in the aircraft exhaust has. And someone needs to sort it out.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:02 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,726,901 times
Contrails form when the relative humidity with respect to ice around where the plane flies is 100%. On average, it corresponds to a relative humidity of 70%, but it will vary depending on the weather conditions at the upper levels. Your best bet would be to check the 300 hPa level relative humidity forecasts. The 300 hPa level is close to where most planes fly.

For example, judging by this map, I'd say contrails are more likely to form over Cairo than over Crete:

Me thinks.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:28 AM

277 posts, read 314,841 times
It all depends on the conditions in the upper troposphere/ stratosphere. If it is cold and humid, you will get some killer contrails, but if it's dry, contrails will be small and disappear immediately behind the aircraft.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:39 AM

upper midwest usa.. consistant haze or "filtered sun". If I had wanted to go solar I'd be at a loss.. Still waiting for good seeing to use my scope, a rare occasion.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
They are a menace in Britain, forming large areas of imitation cirrus/cirrostratus cloud that can dim the sun for hours at a time. We get few enough clear days as it is and it is maddening to see one ruined by this pollution that nobody seems willing to combat (while things at ground level are subject to all sorts of petty rules and regulations).

Until the late 90s the only contrails we saw here were the thin lines behind planes that lasted minutes. You still get them, but just as often it's this new kind that form thick marks, that can spread out into what can be easily taken for cloud. It really has only appeared since about 1998, and it seemed to get much more common from about 2004. Either the composition of the air up there has changed or what's in the aircraft exhaust has. And someone needs to sort it out.
I've noticed them all my life but now that you mention it I dont recall them being so widespread and blanketing until the 90's

Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Here's an aviation link Pilots use. They also use soundings as well from RAP or RUC model to see how the atmospheric column looks itself.

ADDS - Winds/Temps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather