Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 01:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

And that month had an average high of 19.5C here - so the difference remains the same - i.e not significant. They are the same climate. The differences are minor - noticeable, but you're blowing them out of proportion.

Both cities have similar sunshine values in July as well - 206 hours here vs 212 in London. By September, that difference doesn't exist, and we even have the lead in December, February, March and May. Rainfall is virtually identical.

Likewise, the difference between Leeds and Glasgow isn't significant, although in my experience, having been to both London and Glasgow, the weather is noticeably more worse in Glasgow vs Leeds than in Leeds vs London, considering Glasgow is considerably duller and wetter.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I think there's a notable difference. Looking at some of the rubbish summers we had between 2007-2012 (with the exception of 2009-2010), they would all be considered decent or warm summers in the north.
Like dunno said, noticeable yes, I agree there, but nothing worth shouting about. The average highs in York and Leeds are only 2C cooler than the warmest summer in the country.
The South East certainly benefits more when it comes to heat waves though, and like as mentioned before, days like today.

I'm certainly not arguing against it being warmer where you are as it clearly is. Its just as someone who as lived in various parts of the country, I don't think there is that much difference. But then we do live in a tiny oceanic country, so that's to be expected.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Like dunno said, noticeable yes, I agree there, but nothing worth shouting about. The average highs in York and Leeds are only 2C cooler than the warmest summer in the country.
The South East certainly benefits more when it comes to heat waves though, and like as mentioned before, days like today.

I'm certainly not arguing against it being warmer where you are as it clearly is. Its just as someone who as lived in various parts of the country, I don't think there is that much difference. But then we do live in a tiny oceanic country, so that's to be expected.
Tiny oceanic countries can still feel very different though. I wouldn't think that London feels like Inverness for example.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post

I found summers (and winters) to be massively milder feeling in the SE than Buxton, not quite so much difference compared to Lincoln though, but that's really midlands rather than north. But SE England still had a 2 degree summer advantage over even Lincoln.

The summers and overall weather down there was far far milder and drier and settled, the N/NW and S/SE split giving a very different feel in overall climate in my impression - having also lived all over the country.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Tiny oceanic countries can still feel very different though. I wouldn't think that London feels like Inverness for example.
Yeah that's a very good point. The 2C difference between here and London would be closer to 5 or 6C up there.
The average Londoner would find summers there very cold!

I've experienced Inverness in winter, and it was warmer there than where I was living in southern England.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Like I said, Glasgow feels a lot worse than Leeds than Leeds does London. London and Leeds and more similar than Leeds and Glasgow in all aspects. But the difference is still relatively small, and in winter, the temperatures are almost uniform - defined more by elevation and even longitude than latitude. In fact, even in summer, temperatures are more defined by longitude, in some aspects - i.e Leeds tends to be a bit warmer than Manchester, and Oxford is warmer than Bristol.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I found summers (and winters) to be massively milder feeling in the SE than Buxton, not quite so much difference compared to Lincoln though, but that's really midlands rather than north. But SE England still had a 2 degree summer advantage over even Lincoln.

The summers and overall weather down there was far far milder and drier and settled, the N/NW and S/SE split giving a very different feel in overall climate in my impression - having also lived all over the country.
I do agree with you, but there would even be a noticeable difference between here and Buxton. In fact, the average temperatures here are almost exactly the same as Lincoln month by month.
The South East is certainly more settled, but not much drier and not much sunnier. The temperatures seem more stable down there though. And they do benefit more from the heat in Europe, which I do miss. Today for instance only reached a cloudy 21C here late in the day, whereas London was 27C and sunny. Buggers.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
58F tonight and 56F tomorrow night. Christmas in July almost comes true.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:02 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
58F tonight and 56F tomorrow night. Christmas in July almost comes true.
Sounds weird to me, since that's about my average July low (59°F).

Old 07-03-2014, 06:06 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Got to go to a party tomorrow (Saturday) don't want to go at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather