Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You can't. Every single place I've been in England, hotels, B&Bs, people's houses, all the windows open out; not up or to the side. So, you can't put bug screens on windows over there
Not true, as my house in Florida had windows that opened outward, but the screens were on the inside. Even this house has two windows that open outward to the side, and there are screens to fit on the inside - but I've taken those out as I don't like how screens block the view (I just don't open them)...lol.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Except for southern Ontario - those 400-series highways gives the US Interstates a run for their money - nice, big, fat and straight highways. The one going around northern Toronto is a true monster, something like 10 lanes wide, plus collector routes that have even more lanes - that thing is a beast...lol.
Those highway is an a populated corridor unlike the TransCanada in rural areas. I think the provincial government paid for it, not the national one. American interstates are usually built with at least partially federal funds, especially in the early years. If it were up to the states, without federal funds, highways in remote area probably wouldn't have gotten as well built.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Its so hot and dry we need rain rain

Last edited by nei; 07-12-2014 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: no need to quote the OP every time

Old 07-12-2014, 04:44 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,099 times
The netretards.tv trolls are at it again...............................

Can already tell tonight is going to be the first genuinely unpleasant one of the summer for me. I'm perspiring at quite a rate simply sitting in the living room...

Falling into a slurry pit whilst handcuffed would be less traumatic, so long as it was chilled. Today is unbearable, outside and in

A continued downgrade on the heat from yesterday thankfully with the 12c isotherm fringing the SE but soon clearing off.

This is not Kuwait City...

It's not even Paris....

It's not even St. John's, NewFoundland.

Yet still, two days of 23°C and we get all this crying and screaming. Meanwhile I tolerate 9 months of cold wet trash without a single complaint of course.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Its so hot and dry we need rain rain
You aren't gonna get any, or much at all until winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Not true, as my house in Florida had windows that opened outward, but the screens were on the inside. Even this house has two windows that open outward to the side, and there are screens to fit on the inside - but I've taken those out as I don't like how screens block the view (I just don't open them)...lol.
Still doesn't invalidate what I saw. No bugscreens anywhere in the southern tier of England. Not even in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As to the bolded, I think that's a US only pattern. As for the Transcanada, the Canadian government put less money into highway funding. There's not much traffic in on it outside of big cities, anyway.
I suppose. So, I'm wondering how traffic from Ontario gets to Manitoba, like trucks. They cross into the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Odd. In every place I've ever lived in except uni accommodation, the building had sash windows. But then I have lived in older buildings. Most buildings in the UK have sash windows, unless they are modern buildings.
What are sash windows?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You aren't gonna get any, or much at all until winter.

What are sash windows?
Let me google that for you

They're very common here. They open up/down. I always thought they were more common in England than opening out windows, having lived here 27 years.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:57 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
The netretards.tv trolls are at it again...............................

Can already tell tonight is going to be the first genuinely unpleasant one of the summer for me. I'm perspiring at quite a rate simply sitting in the living room...

Falling into a slurry pit whilst handcuffed would be less traumatic, so long as it was chilled. Today is unbearable, outside and in

A continued downgrade on the heat from yesterday thankfully with the 12c isotherm fringing the SE but soon clearing off.

This is not Kuwait City...

It's not even Paris....

It's not even St. John's, NewFoundland.

Yet still, two days of 23°C and we get all this crying and screaming. Meanwhile I tolerate 9 months of cold wet trash without a single complaint of course.
I stopped posting on that site for this very reason! Bunch of sissies on there..

Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
They are only common in old buildings, but even many older buildings have sash windows taken out and replaced by PVC double-glazed ones. Most people in the UK live in semidetached housing, and they almost always have windows that open out.

Also, the biggest idiots on NW are shedhead and draztik.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They are only common in old buildings, but even many older buildings have sash windows taken out and replaced by PVC double-glazed ones.

We did that with our house I used to live on 'til last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Most people in the UK live in semidetached housing, and they almost always have windows that open out.
Ours was semi detached, but had sash windows all around as with all the rest on the street, most on google streetview seem to as well. Maybe it's modern builds with UPVC windows you mean and as you said, houses that used to have sash windows but have had them replaced.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:04 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:

I suppose. So, I'm wondering how traffic from Ontario gets to Manitoba, like trucks. They cross into the US?
A great deal of Canadian trucks apparently do enter the US at Port Huron - the access lanes for the trucks extended for miles at the border crossing. I guess it's quicker for them to travel by way of Chicago and then up to Manitoba, rather than take those slow roads north of the Great Lakes. Myself, I used Ontario as a shortcut from New York to Michigan - I told the border guard what I was doing, and they just waved me on through - must be something they're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather