Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 01:18 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
So, where do you think Standard British English is spoken?
I'm just curious.

Its spoken by everyone, but by Middle class and upper class people mainly. Also people would speak that stereotypical "British" accent in formal settings.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Its spoken by everyone, but by Middle class and upper class people mainly. Also people would speak that stereotypical "British" accent in formal settings.
I guess you are right as you are a native speaker, but there are some British accents which sound very hard to me, as for instance Scottish one.
There are other ones that I really like so much, as for instance, the way the singer Lily Allen speaks. I think she usually doesn't speak London slang.

There was a time I tried to improve my English by watching The Inbetweeners. I guess they speak Standard British accent too.

On the other hand, most Spaniards new presenters speak Madrilian accent, so I'm impressed how new presenters from BBC television don't speak London accent.
So, what accent do those BBC new presenters have?

Last edited by overdrive1979; 10-25-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-25-2014, 02:17 PM

The English language in the UK isn't straight forward at all, for example there's no such thing as a "Standard British accent" because there are different accents across the UK.

There's standard British English but not a standard accent. Working class (lower class) people from Birmingham may speak the brummie dialect however no matter what they will always have that brummie ACCENT. In formal setting the working class Brummie will speak standard British English in their regional accent retraining from using local terms (dialect)

Same with London and southeast England there's Multicultural London English (which is a dialect spoken by many Londoners to varying degrees), Cockney (again spoken in varying degrees from hardcore to softer) and then there's the accent you are more familiar with received pronounciation and estuary English (RP is spoken by the royal family, BBC etc)

Scottish people are not hard to understand when they don't talk in their local dialect (e.g. Glaswegian) but speak in standard British (Scottish) English.

People on the BBC speak standard English in the many local accents.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:18 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,190 times
The Aberdeen accent is quite posh

Old 10-25-2014, 02:41 PM

There's nothing on tonight

Old 10-25-2014, 03:30 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well I've been all over. Anyway you are Puerto Rican from a foreign country you haven't even lived here for long were as this is actually my country of birth I can go anywhere Scotland, England, Wales and NI which I have so I do know what it is like.

I have been to England umpteen times and I know the accents. There are regions of accents which are different..

Manchester, Bristol, Yorkshire, Newcastle, Norwich, Liverpool, London, Birmingham and Blackpool.. The southern ones are all the same except for the chavy ones in like Essex..
Lol, no you haven't. I can go anywhere there too, for 6 months, and I did. You never lived in England, so you can't seriously sit there and tell me you know more about England than I do. I wouldn't be surprised you claim to know more about English accents than irlinit or P London or dean york, or dunno, etc. Isn't that what you always go on about to every single one of us here? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it bubba

Old 10-25-2014, 03:32 PM

I have got news for you, you are a Puerto Rican you will NEVER be British since you were not born here. Ok

And of course I wouldn't say that I know more than them. They were bloody born there. Wtf do you think I am.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:33 PM

He refused to listen when I told him about the accents in my own BACKYARD he said I was wrong.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I have got news for you, you are a Puerto Rican you will NEVER be British since you were not born here. Ok
READ my post. Very carefully. Thrice over, did I say ANYWHERE I want to be British? No, and I never want to be. I'm gonna call you out on your bull**** standards that you apply to everyone else except yourself. Nobody knows more than you, you know everything by just visiting a couple times. You criticize all of us that do the same, but somehow you exempt yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
He refused to listen when I told him about the accents in my own BACKYARD he said I was wrong.
Oh but of course, we're all wrong, he's always right. Only he's allowed to comment on places he's never lived in before, nobody else.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:38 PM

Owen is one bigoted racist fool he should be banned (again) lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather