Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 06:47 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,019,788 times

Advertisements

I do think some people deserve the death penalty, prisons in the UK are like holiday camps compared to prisons in the US, why should someone who raped then killed children be allowed to live out the rest of their days in a secure environment where they have their own cell, a TV & are allowed to grow vegetables in the prison garden? Prisons in the UK are no deterrent to ANY criminals...

Old 11-09-2014, 06:57 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I do think some people deserve the death penalty, prisons in the UK are like holiday camps compared to prisons in the US, why should someone who raped then killed children be allowed to live out the rest of their days in a secure environment where they have their own cell, a TV & are allowed to grow vegetables in the prison garden? Prisons in the UK are no deterrent to ANY criminals...
Have you seen Norwegian prisons? Prisoners there live in holiday camp environments, not in dingy cells with little natural light or some filthy toilet next to their bed, but Norway has the highest rehabilitation rate in the world and by far one of the lowest incarceration rates - not to mention a very low homicide rate (2011 excluded).

Really - people here bleat on about prisons being cushy, and how we should model our prisons after the US - but the US is not a model country. Their cities are dangerous and suffer from frequent murders. No, I don't believe their system is enviable. Prisons there are all about punishment and not about rehabilitation, even when it comes to small-time offenders. In any case, the primary goal should be to prevent people from doing these things in the first place, and places like Norway seem to excel at preventing people from becoming criminals. Maybe other places should take note.

Give me the Norwegian model any day.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:00 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Prisons here are like summer camps and hotels. Why does Finland, Sweden and Iceland have the lowest incarceration rates in Europe?

Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Well if that's the case why don't you go and commit a crime I see how great UK prisons are, I'm sure you'll be killing again!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 AM

Either the Nordic model is best, or people there are just less prone to becoming murderers. Maybe certain societies - such as American society - are inherently f*cked up and breed murderers like rabbits, and possibly for them, there is no hope, and they are doomed to fail.

Who knows.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Its probably a combinations of factors.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:06 AM

Didn't a brain-eating fungi recently infect water in Louisiana? That probably explains it.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:11 AM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It stops tax money going towards keeping someone in prison, and eliminates the risk of a repeat offence.
Why do some people want to protect the life of serial killers? What value do we gain by keeping them incarcerated? The punishment should fit the crime. If you kill (first degree) you die.

I wonder if those same people put this much energy in protecting the life of an unborn baby who hasn't killed anyone ?

And you can't compare tiny homogeneous nations like Sweden with the U.S. where we literally have third word conditions in parts of our cities where the vast majority of homicides occur

Old 11-09-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Why do some people want to protect the life of serial killers? What value do we gain by keeping them incarcerated? The punishment should fit the crime. If you kill (first degree) you die.

I wonder if those same people put this much energy in protecting the life of an unborn baby who hasn't killed anyone ?

And you can't compare tiny homogeneous nations like Sweden with the U.S. where we literally have third word conditions in parts of our cities where the vast majority of homicides occur
Sweden is not a tiny homogenous nation - tiny compared to the US, perhaps, but homogenous - not a chance. Over 15% of Sweden's population is foreign born, and it accepts over 40,000 asylum seekers every year. By comparison, the UK accepts under 30,000 a year despite having 63 million people compared to Sweden's 9 (nearly 10) million.

Unborn baby - I suspect you're trying to incite an argument, but no, I would not go out of my way to support the 'life' of an unborn fetus.

If you're so concerned about murderers, then sort out your mess. If large areas of your cities are literally third world, then sort it out. Get your damn sh*t together. People are often a product of their environment, and a significant percentage of Americans are living in a sh*tty environment surrounded by crime, poverty and despair. Killing these murderers will not solve the root problem of why certain people turn out like they do.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Its probably a combinations of factors.
My theories,

- In Finland, 95-98% of all murders gets solved. It's not a deterrence for ex-tempore murders, but for planned and OC murders it is
- The respect for the law enforcement. There is not a culture of "fu** the police" in the Nordics
- Due to this attitude, common people gladly rats out on criminals, helping the police
- Prisons are all about rehabilitation. 40-45% of all inmates ever return to prison again
- Overall safety in the society. Violent crime causes the police to distribute massive effort on it, as it is so rare
- Income equality. The situations, like muggings rarely become a matter of life and death
- Very strict gun laws. Flash an airsoft gun in a city, and you'll have a SWAT-team with assault guns upon you
- constant monitoring of OC. Bike gangs, mafia-style organisations and other are constantly under the radar
- overall effective police in small countries = crime doesn't become lucrative, and neither ratting dangerous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.