Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 10:39 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
But isn't Finland more righteous than Britain in the fact Finland didn't rape the WORLD?
No. We didn't take part in colonialism, except for some jerks who died by the Delaware river, but neither do we raise ourselves on a high horse, because everybody knows we would've done the same if we could have.

Not in the Caribbean or Africa, but Britain actually did some good in India, despite all repression. The French did a lot of good in Africa, despite murdering Algeria.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:42 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No. We didn't take part in colonialism, except for some jerks who died by the Delaware river
Coincidentally, that is my area. I live in what was once New Sweden (Nya Sverige).

Old 01-31-2015, 10:43 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
No. We didn't take part in colonialism, except for some jerks who died by the Delaware river, but neither do we raise ourselves on a high horse, because everybody knows we would've done the same if we could have.

Not in the Caribbean or Africa, but Britain actually did some good in India, despite all repression. The French did a lot of good in Africa, despite murdering Algeria.
How did the French do good in Africa?

Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Coincidentally, that is my area. I live in what was once New Sweden (Nya Sverige).
Fort Christina and Nya Vasa were the Finnish hotspots. (Finland was part of Sweden back then.)

Quote:
How did the French do good in Africa?
Founding schools. They educated a lot of people. Western French Africa had the most doctors per capita on the whole continent before decolonisation. Black doctors, if you don't mind. The Maghreb doctors were pied-noirs.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:53 AM

The colonialisation thing got me thinking. My ancestors were Swedish priests from Central Sweden west of Stockholm, but in the 1800's things got sour. Overpopulation, no more arable land to share, and you had to look elsewhere. My great-grandfather had like 6 brothers, and they all went to America, except for mine, who decided to think outside the box and came to Finland. He found some lot near Helsinki and became a carpenter, he found a nice Karelian girl who was a maid in a bourgeoisie house, married her, despite him knowing only Swedish and the girl only Finnish in the start. He got pretty wealthy, and my grandfather got a good education, becoming an engineer, finding my grandmother in Helsinki. My paternal grand-grandfather was a heir to a big pig farm in Southern Savonia, but the grand-grand-grandfather got in severe gambling problems, and lost almost everything. The kids moved south to Kotka, and became regular workers, far away from the lavish mansion the family had. My paternal grandfather went to the army, and after the war he studied in Helsinki to become a ship technician. Things went forward, my mother met my father, and ultimately I was born.

Please share if you know things about your past, these things fascinate me.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:59 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Muslims are not lunatics, people can hold views such as thinking Homosexuality is not moral but that doesn't mean their go around abusing gays I think most have other things occupying their minds.

Also it seems you are mixing ISLAM with FUNDAMENTAL ISLAM there not interchangeably.

Not all Muslims are crazy you know..
They're crazy for the crap they believe in, just like Christians. If you believe what you say, then why don't you move to the Middle East?

Old 01-31-2015, 12:04 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Fort Christina and Nya Vasa were the Finnish hotspots. (Finland was part of Sweden back then.)
Mmhm. Well, y'all are welcome back anytime. Some placenames remain, albeit changed, such as Sveaborg (Swedesboro, NJ), Älfsborg (Elsinboro, NJ), Kristina (Christiana, DE), Uppland (Upland, PA), among others. Can't say much for culture; naturally not much remains after centuries of Anglo/American domination, but we are still rural enough at least on this side of the Delaware to change that. (Not to build it up - certainly not! And not to forsake the cultural elements that are still good and rural here.) We'll call the new South Jersey, Vinland or Vineland. We'll be known for our vineyards and for living off the land. We'll rely on the strength and protection of Thor.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Mmhm. Well, y'all are welcome back anytime. Some placenames remain, albeit changed, such as Sveaborg (Swedesboro, NJ), Älfsborg (Elsinboro, NJ), Kristina (Christiana, DE), Uppland (Upland, PA), among others. Can't say much for culture; naturally not much remains after centuries of Anglo/American domination, but we are still rural enough at least on this side of the Delaware to change that. (Not to build it up - certainly not! And not to forsake the cultural elements that are still good and rural here.) We'll call the new South Jersey, Vinland or Vineland. We'll be known for our vineyards and for living off the land. We'll rely on the strength and protection of Thor.
The immigration agency could have another opinion. Climatologically speaking, I would move immediately. I have education, I have military training, I've worked in airport security, I speak several languages. If it was the 80's the US could actually have a need for me, but now - no.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:31 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,088 times
Quote:

Please share if you know things about your past, these things fascinate me.
You know a lot about your family history! I know almost nothing past my grandparents but one story: My great great grandfather invented a monorail mechanism, he is even mentioned in Wikipedia:

August Scherl merely provided the financial backing. The righting mechanism was invented by Paul Fröhlich, and the car designed by Emil Falcke. Although well received and performing perfectly during its public demonstrations, the car failed to attract significant financial support, and Scherl wrote off his investment in it.
Gyro monorail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After that he got depressed and eventually comitted suicide.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:23 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Those names made me cringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather