Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM

29 posts, read 37,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Nope, it was in the building we stayed at, not far from Semera. Are you a little wound up that Death Valley isn't the hottest place in the world?
Wow, what an incredibly inaccurate thermometer they use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,290 times
Quote:
Nope, it was in the building we stayed at, not far from Semera. Are you a little wound up that Death Valley isn't the hottest place in the world?
Come on! You complain about the perpetual nonsense of tpactionreplay only to come up with this...

I'd say those readings are very likely to have been affected by a severe overexposure, hence taken under nonstandarized ways. It's not like you set up a thermometer anywhere and it's over. I myself have recorded temperatures over 40ºC around home whereas official readings didn't even hit 38ºC.

In case of Dallol, there is a 6-year period of records, whose records I suspect them to have very low quality (evertheless the place is definitely the hottest in the world in terms of annual average). The highest temperature recorded in that period was 49ºC, showing overall very little variation day by day, so I think the highest possible temperature there is not much higher (maybe 50ºC, 50.5ºC?). Even the 49ºC record might be slightly overstated.

I repeat a post from the first page of this thread...:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
1) the highest annual average occurs in the Danakil Depression, Ethiopia. According to a short lived station, it's about 34.4ºC. The quality of the data was very bad, so I expect the true average to be a bit lower, still clearly the hottest place in world in terms of ANNUAL AVERAGE.

2) the highest monthly average occurs in Death Valley, USA. The average temp in July is 38.9ºC for the period 1981-2010. It's virtually the same for Sibi, Pakistan, where the average temp in June is 38.6ºC for the period 1971-1990. I guess that depending on the period of records taken it might change. Other contenders in the world for this record would be in the Rub-al-Khali Desert, Saudi Arabia and the aforementioned Danakil Depression. Further urbanization in Kuwait might challenge these values too.

3) the highest temperature recorded is still a matter of discussion. The value officially recognized by the WMO is 56.7ºC in Death Valley. This figure has been disqualified by some climatologists as a reading taken under not proper conditions. Death Valley would still lead with 53.9ºC. Areas around Kuwait can challenge this record. Any temperature above this figure has been questioned, especially older readings taken in poorly standarized stations.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:14 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,488 times
Oh my god I completely mis-worded that. The 'in the building' part, that is not what I meant, it was outside the building but because it was in the shade, thats why I said 'in the'. Gosh, if it was that hot in the building, that would of been my holiday cancelled .

And yeah, Dallol's climate data wasn't of high quality, but if anything, it must of gotten hotter by now... 63C in the Sun, what shade temperature is that?

I dont understand why a weather station has not been placed there yet :S...

Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Oh my god I completely mis-worded that. The 'in the building' part, that is not what I meant, it was outside the building but because it was in the shade, thats why I said 'in the'. Gosh, if it was that hot in the building, that would of been my holiday cancelled .

And yeah, Dallol's climate data wasn't of high quality, but if anything, it must of gotten hotter by now... 63C in the Sun, what shade temperature is that?

I dont understand why a weather station has not been placed there yet :S...
Way cooler in the shade considering there is always people from Iraq thinking there cool saying they have seen temps of 150+ Fahrenheit before(65c+) while they were in the sun.

Edit: I know you were referring to the outside temp.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Great thread. I love the passionate arguments!

It was of short duration, but I expect the all time world record temp at El Azizia, Libya is a true pattern. Imagine hot dry air over the Sahara, being blown north towards the Mediterranean Sea. As it falls off the Sahara, and descends across the coastal mountains, it heats by compression, going from, say 115F at 1000m elevation to 136 F at sea level!!!!

You see that in S. California all the time in the Santa Ana winds. I recall it being 98 F in Santa Barbara on the coast, when in summer, SB rarely breaks 80F. The key is when dry warm air blows westward and descends from the Mojave Desert at, say, 85-90F at 750-1000m elevation, then drops down toward the coast, heating by 10-15F by the time it reaches sea level. I would imagine the Sahara to Mediterranean pattern you could see during the Scirocco, could create some ferociously hot temps.

I think the Sahara dude (tpactionreplay) is partially right, if you modeled temps. down to sea level in all the deserts of the world, the Sahara would be the hottest. The only reason it is not always so is that it is generally an uplifted plateau at moderate elevations. Death Valley, in contrast, is below sea level. But if warm air started in the Sahara, heated by compression as it fell off the plateau, and blew across the coastal plain, it could rule for hot temps!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-23-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 PM

270 posts, read 481,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Great thread. I love the passionate arguments!

It was of short duration, but I expect the all time world record temp at El Azizia, Libya is a true pattern. Imagine hot dry air over the Sahara, being blown north towards the Mediterranean Sea. As it falls off the Sahara, and descends across the coastal mountains, it heats by compression, going from, say 115F at 1000m elevation to 136 F at sea level!!!!

You see that in S. California all the time in the Santa Ana winds. I recall it being 98 F in Santa Barbara on the coast, when in summer, SB rarely breaks 80F. The key is when dry warm air blows westward and descends from the Mojave Desert at, say, 85-90F at 750-1000m elevation, then drops down toward the coast, heating by 10-15F by the time it reaches sea level. I would imagine the Sahara to Mediterranean pattern you could see during the Scirocco, could create some ferociously hot temps.

I think the Sahara dude (tpactionreplay) is partially right, if you modeled temps. down to sea level in all the deserts of the world, the Sahara would be the hottest. The only reason it is not always so is that it is generally an uplifted at moderate elevations. Death Valley, in contrast, is below sea level. But if warm air started in the Sahara, heated by compression as it fell off the plateau, and blew across the coastal plain, it could rule for hot temps!
Thanks, we do agree. Every other people don't take this additionnal setting in account because they only define the hottest places on Earth by watching the temperatures. Death Valley, Kuwait City and Khuzestan Plain are extremely hot in summer, I can't say the contrary. But the truth is they're helped by their very low elevation, which increase their summer temperatures.

In Salah, one of the hottest place in the Sahara desert, has temperatures around 47 °C/48 °C regularly but the site has a (much) higher elevation than other sweltering locations. I read a book recently, and this climatology book about the Sahara said that the Sahara desert was the hottest place on Earth in terms of extreme heat and in terms of annual average when we reduce the temperatures to the sea level. Honestly, I don't really believe the Sahara is the hottest place year-round, but I really think it is when talking about the heat potential. The reasons for explaining why the Sahara is the hottest place on Earth are quite easy to explain.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:41 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpactionreplay View Post
Thanks, we do agree. Every other people don't take this additionnal setting in account because they only define the hottest places on Earth by watching the temperatures. Death Valley, Kuwait City and Khuzestan Plain are extremely hot in summer, I can't say the contrary. But the truth is they're helped by their very low elevation, which increase their summer temperatures.

In Salah, one of the hottest place in the Sahara desert, has temperatures around 47 °C/48 °C regularly but the site has a (much) higher elevation than other sweltering locations. I read a book recently, and this climatology book about the Sahara said that the Sahara desert was the hottest place on Earth in terms of extreme heat and in terms of annual average when we reduce the temperatures to the sea level. Honestly, I don't really believe the Sahara is the hottest place year-round, but I really think it is when talking about the heat potential. The reasons for explaining why the Sahara is the hottest place on Earth are quite easy to explain.

I think you hit on a reasonable premise. IF we averaged and projected all measurements to sea level to get a sense of the heat of entire region, in a relative sense, the Sahara would rise to the top. Otherwise the prize will always go to super low elevation valleys like Death Valley. It would be interesting to see how the Sahara and Mojave deserts (where Death Valley occurs) compared in that way.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-23-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Yes, there is many other areas that would be hotter than death valley if they were in a skinny valley with mountains on all and sides below sea level. But the fact is that is not the case that is just an "if", so there not the hottest. Sorry the earth just wasn't formed that way.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:07 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,488 times
Quote:

Watching the temperatures? Is that all we do on this thread? You are the one posting weekly forecast for every single weather station in the Algerian quarter of the Sahara Desert.

I'm taking averages into account and Dallol wins, sorry. Just look at the document fgs.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:35 PM

270 posts, read 481,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB24 x JG24 View Post
Yes, there is many other areas that would be hotter than death valley if they were in a skinny valley with mountains on all and sides below sea level. But the fact is that is not the case that is just an "if", so there not the hottest. Sorry the earth just wasn't formed that way.
Maybe but the fact is you can't do an objective comparison of heat potential between a high mountain range and a low valley. If we want to define the hottest place on Earth, we'll have to eliminate additional features such as elevation because for example, a high mountain range may receive more heat from the sun but may have lower temperatures than a low valley which receives less heat but which will have higher temperatures only because of the low elevation. In that case, the heat is totally subjective.

That's why desert depressions, desert valleys or desert plains are among the places which record the highest temperatures on the planet but the real received heat may be lower than other places situated at higher elevations. Just compare the summer temperatures of In Salah, Algeria and Gotvand, Iran (which are nearly the same ones) and reduce these summer temperatures to sea level, and you'll see that In Salah is hotter than Gotvand because it receives more energy from the sun. That's all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather