Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,447,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Everytime there's a thunderstorm I always try and want to figure out how each thunder & Lightning is different.

Lightning continues here and I just had an underground earthquake type of thunder. WOW that rocked the house... I think my coordinates just changed.

Now why was that one so deep and earth shaking? Was there a spike of moisture at the surface? Was it the wind? Was it just a force that we still don't understand?
Even in this age of great technology there remains a fascinating ambiguity about thunderstorms.

I strongly believe that at least in this region, there is a definite correlation with the storm's level of isolation. When I am fortuitous enough to be in the spot where a lone lightning storm or small cluster pops up, it is always very explosive and thunderous with a profuse spawning of cloud-to-ground bolts. In an organized line of (often severe) storms associated with a front, such was the case last night, practically every time it turns out to be made up entirely of underwhelming flashes within the clouds, and consequently a noticeable decrease in thunder volume/intensity. Contrary to logic, seldom do the days with the highest rain chances end up producing the best and most memorable thunderstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 PM

This stood out to me...NWS statement specifies CG. Haven't seen that in previous outlooks this year.

THERE WILL BE A CHANCE FOR THUNDERSTORMS LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY AS THAT FRONT SLOWLY CROSSES THE REGION. THE MAIN THREATS WITH THESE STORMS WILL BE HEAVY RAINFALL AND OCCASIONAL CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
CLG is not 'that' common and sometimes it happens and you dont see the leader hit the ground anywhere. And I doubt you only see cloud to cloud lightning which is the more common lightning. Perhaps you do get CLG but just dont see the bolt??
Cloud to ground lightning IS "that common" in the south. If you saw a summer thunderstorm in South Carolina or Florida you'd know right away what I'm talking about. It's practically a foregone conclusion that there will be brilliant lightning bolts hitting the ground.

Here, the majority of storms (at least in recent years) feature lightning that does not leave the cloud. Ever. Last summer when storms were splitting around us I sometimes drove to where they were on the outer edge of town or in neighboring counties, and lo and behold there were frequent CG strikes there. Every time I went to another area I saw CLG. When I stay at home on the western side of Lexington, 9 times out of 10 it just doesn't happen. Either the storm misses us completely or it's like anvil crawlers and flashing within the cloud. I'm really curious to know what factors in my immediate area could explain this difference.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:26 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Cloud to ground lightning IS "that common" in the south.

Here, the majority of storms (at least in recent years) feature lightning that does not leave the cloud. Ever.

Either the storm misses us completely or it's like anvil crawlers and flashing within the cloud. I'm really curious to know what factors in my immediate area could explain this difference.
An interesting question. Is GLC more common in southern Latitudes? I say yeah.
But is it considered CLG if there is no bolt anywhere hitting the ground? I mean what if the flash is so vivid all the way to the surface, does that mean the lightning is from Cloud to Ground?

Think about the populated areas during a Thunderstorm with vivid lightning. I think we would be seeing more damage and hit reports but we don't. So not all bolts hit the ground but the flash makes it. Maybe the bolts stay in the air and never finds a grounding source but because its so powerful we see the bright flashing. So CLG's I think don't necessarily mean seeing a bolt.

I am a believer that Urban areas change the molecules and positive/negative charges around them, especially areas with citys and tall buildings vs trees.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:27 PM

I was watching something very cool about Volcanic lightning. Here's what they said...

Only those that erupts with ash, not lava only produces Volcanic Lightning.

Also known as Dirty Thunderstorms.

Warm moist Ash & Rock rise up. Condenses into ice crystals. The collision with ice particles in the air creates positive and negative charges. These charged particles seperate. The difference between the two charges builds
& a spark is triggered in the form of lightning.

https://twitter.com/FabianWadsworth/...03988167348224

Old 04-28-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
An interesting question. Is GLC more common in southern Latitudes? I say yeah.
But is it considered CLG if there is no bolt anywhere hitting the ground? I mean what if the flash is so vivid all the way to the surface, does that mean the lightning is from Cloud to Ground?

Think about the populated areas during a Thunderstorm with vivid lightning. I think we would be seeing more damage and hit reports but we don't. So not all bolts hit the ground but the flash makes it. Maybe the bolts stay in the air and never finds a grounding source but because its so powerful we see the bright flashing. So CLG's I think don't necessarily mean seeing a bolt..
Can you honestly not tell the difference?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Can you honestly not tell the difference?
lol. I think You missed the meaning of the question. Not talking about the bolts. Get bolts out of your mind! lol

Old 04-28-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
lol. I think You missed the meaning of the question. Not talking about the bolts. Get bolts out of your mind! lol
I'm really confused now.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:39 AM

Couple observations from last night. First, there were two separate periods of cloud-to-ground from an isolated storm and then the line of severe storms. Both times it occurred in the same area of the sky as they were moving away. Convincing evidence that they are strengthening ESE of here, or that whatever else might play a role in lightning type is changing there. The other thing is that it's unusually sporadic this year. I have yet to see a storm that is only CG, and I can't remember that being the case so late in the year. Instead, there is a sudden transition from flashes to strikes, then about 5 minutes later it's all in the cloud again. Interesting trend.

I'm glad I went to a different room to watch after the storm passed, because those brief displays were spectacular. Two bolts at once, a bolt making 5 strokes, etc. Being at night I could see the outline in front of my eyes for several seconds afterward from how bright they were.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:06 PM

I've noticed we're more likely to get cloud-to-ground lightning from storms moving southeast as opposed to northeast. I don't know what would cause that, but thinking back there seems to be a correlation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather