Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 4 18.18%
B 5 22.73%
C 7 31.82%
D 6 27.27%
F 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:24 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,951,583 times

Advertisements

C.

It's nice that the short winter sees decent snowfall, but it's too warm the rest of the year, and records show that this climate is too stable. Add the annoying high sunshine into the equation, and I can't give New Luxania too good of a grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:34 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,527,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orai View Post
Summer is too hot and sunny while January is too cold and snowy.

But I can't rate a climate lower than B- with such a great cold-rain-avoiding precipitation pattern.
That was exactly my idea

I'd be interested in seeing how a poster such as Patricius Maximus rates it, as there's a "real" winter with snow yet a hot summer and abundant sunshine.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:01 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,656,061 times
D: summer is too hot

Old 06-01-2014, 01:22 PM

623 posts, read 672,203 times
C+, too warm in summer and too sunny. Temperatures are roughly similar to Chicago but more stable and less lag. Winters would get a lot of snow, maybe 250cm depending on how wet the snow is. March is warm enough that it should all melt off by the end of the month, but snow cover would be nearly guaranteed for a few months.

Take off 5C from every month and I'd give it an A.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,551,395 times
C- for me. The warmer half of the year is fine, but winter is just too cold - at least it's sunny though.

I think the worst aspect, would be how quickly the temperatures drop at the end of summer.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:43 PM

927 posts, read 579,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
This is slightly unrealistic climate which represents my ideal climate if I were forced to live in a 4-season climate (coldest month average <-3°C) while staying relatively realistic (of course I could have made it -3°C in a month, and tropical the rest of the year, but that would have been ludicrous).

The most plausible setting for that climate is a continental location at a relatively low latitude, which makes it temporarily influenced by two strong but brief seasonal wind patterns.

Every month of the year gets a generous amount of sunshine.

Winter (late November to February) is cold, but not brutally so, with a low standard deviation of temperatures, preventing both strong thaws and frigid temperatures.
It is quite snowy* with periods of heavy snowfall while the rest of the time is sunny with crisp blue skies.

Spring sees a very quick thaw and warm-up, and starts with mild days with nights that remain cold or coolish. It is very dry at the beginning, but starts to get wetter (and downright warm) towards May and June, with a few brief and intense showers.

The height of summer (late June to mid-August) is almost tropical feeling, with hot days, warm, sticky nights and frequent thunderstorms.

Late summer and early fall (late August to late September) is warm and drier with a more "classic" continental summer feeling.

It gets cooler and drier in autumn (October to mid-November) with nights cooling off quickly. There are a few warm Indian autumn days in October, skewing the average high up to 17°C. It starts snowing by late November.

As much as I vastly prefer warmth over cold, the very high amounts of sunshine year-round, quick spring warm ups and hot summers make this climate as desirable as a 4-season climate can be to me.

Therefore I rate it a solid C+.

*Being usually uninterested in cold climates, I am completely clueless as to what would make a month "quite snowy" in terms of precipitation totals, nor do I know how to convert precipitation mm/inches to snow cm/inches. Anyone more knowledgeable than me on that subject is welcome to help and I'll adjust it.
How well does this city handle snowfall? Do they ever have extra vacation days when it snows and how about the infrastructure of New Luxing whatever? Does it snow enough they have lots of plows? Does thunderstorms in the summer wreck havoc with power lines for fun power outages?

The reason I call it extra vacation days is because from reading old news archives I found out yes indeed snow did cause schools to close in the old days but they did not hype it out and it would only be that day unless it was really deep. They just called it an extra vacation day sometimes multiple days happened but were never required to make it up which only burdens teachers. Schools always adjusted the classroom instruction and nobody suffered.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,541,395 times
I voted 'A' but I didn't see sunshine hours.

I prefer 2000 hours roughly...so my vote goes to B- now. Decent temperature variation for a four-season climate.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:39 AM

8,161 posts, read 8,704,701 times
B. It's very close to ideal temperature-wise. My biggest qualm is the sunshine. I'd like more clouds outside summer. Also, I could do without the dry seasons in early spring and mid-fall. And these records are too tame. Still quite good.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,269,621 times
New Amherst is close to my ideal four season climate, though maybe I'd modify the summers a bit, but the goal was to only modify half the year when I made it.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:17 PM

486 posts, read 443,393 times
My dream climate Cubitsville is a four season climate.

View image: image

I rate yours a B-.

Winters are nice. SUmmers are too hot. Too sunny year round
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather