Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 4 18.18%
B 5 22.73%
C 7 31.82%
D 6 27.27%
F 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:06 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,522,014 times

Advertisements

This is slightly unrealistic climate which represents my ideal climate if I were forced to live in a 4-season climate (coldest month average <-3°C) while staying relatively realistic (of course I could have made it -3°C in a month, and tropical the rest of the year, but that would have been ludicrous).

The most plausible setting for that climate is a continental location at a relatively low latitude, which makes it temporarily influenced by two strong but brief seasonal wind patterns.

Every month of the year gets a generous amount of sunshine.

Winter (late November to February) is cold, but not brutally so, with a low standard deviation of temperatures, preventing both strong thaws and frigid temperatures.
It is quite snowy* with periods of heavy snowfall while the rest of the time is sunny with crisp blue skies.

Spring sees a very quick thaw and warm-up, and starts with mild days with nights that remain cold or coolish. It is very dry at the beginning, but starts to get wetter (and downright warm) towards May and June, with a few brief and intense showers.

The height of summer (late June to mid-August) is almost tropical feeling, with hot days, warm, sticky nights and frequent thunderstorms.

Late summer and early fall (late August to late September) is warm and drier with a more "classic" continental summer feeling.

It gets cooler and drier in autumn (October to mid-November) with nights cooling off quickly. There are a few warm Indian autumn days in October, skewing the average high up to 17°C. It starts snowing by late November.

As much as I vastly prefer warmth over cold, the very high amounts of sunshine year-round, quick spring warm ups and hot summers make this climate as desirable as a 4-season climate can be to me.

Therefore I rate it a solid C+.

*Being usually uninterested in cold climates, I am completely clueless as to what would make a month "quite snowy" in terms of precipitation totals, nor do I know how to convert precipitation mm/inches to snow cm/inches. Anyone more knowledgeable than me on that subject is welcome to help and I'll adjust it.

Last edited by dhdh; 05-31-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 01:22 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,671,395 times

I'd give it a D myself. Sorry, but no climate with such cold winters will get away with more than that for me unless it really pushes the boat out in summer heat and humidity and thunderstorms.

I could show you my own magnificent four season climate I created, which I would give a C- rating too as winters aren't as severe as this, and it has hotter, humider thundery summers.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:28 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,522,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post

Old 05-31-2014, 02:25 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,690,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
*Being usually uninterested in cold climates, I am completely clueless as to what would make a month "quite snowy" in terms of precipitation totals, nor do I know how to convert precipitation mm/inches to snow cm/inches. Anyone more knowledgeable than me on that subject is welcome to help and I'll adjust it.
10:1 is the most common, so 10 cm of snow = 10 mm. Or if it's very light snow falling down, 20:1.

We usually get around 80-100 cm of snow a year, and due to the steady temps we and your climate experiences, that is enough to retain a steady 20-30 cm nowpack for 3 months.

As for the climate, I can't say I like the precipitation pattern, and the summers are maybe a bit too warm overall, but nothing I couldn't manage. The biggest qualm is the too rapid warm-up and cooldown, and also the diurnal range is too extreme during the shoulder seasons. Like the October lows are same as here, but the highs almost the double. Sunshine is too much. Winters are perfect.

B--- Not any big faults, but riddled by small ones.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:29 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,671,395 times
This was my idea of a four season climate - very much summer dominated, would get a C-.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:29 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,164,316 times
D+

The sunshine hours really drag down the grade. Knock off a thousand or so and it would be in the C range. Summers are too warm and humid. The rest of the year is nice temperature wise.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:40 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,156,753 times
A-. Winter record highs are anemic but the rest fits my bill.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,791,065 times
winter is ok. otherwise: too fast warm-up in spring, too much sunshine and way too high summer lows.

C-

Old 05-31-2014, 05:50 PM

13,580 posts, read 9,608,419 times
This too much resembles the American Midwest (at least on its southern fringe). I would prefer a winter that just barely touches 0 deg C at night in January, and a summer that just barely hits 25 deg C at midday in July, with short summer/winter and long transitional seasons. I'd like to be able to wear a business-suit outside, without an overcoat, and not sweat if I have to run, or shiver if I'm standing at a bus-stop.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,497,350 times
Summer is too hot and sunny while January is too cold and snowy.

But I can't rate a climate lower than B- with such a great cold-rain-avoiding precipitation pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather