Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 12:59 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Huh. We just had clouds. Saw a bit of rain on the radar at coastal CT, but didn't realize it was that wet down there.
Yup, look at radar now. Nothing here but pouring cats and dogs in New Haven. Looks like its hugging the coast all day. Started 5:30 am ended 12:30pm here. Danbury just 25 minutes north of me got MUCH less.

Isn't it fun to see the rain total difference in such short distances? I had some embedded downpours within the rain too.

NYC got 1.60" today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, look at radar now. Nothing here but pouring cats and dogs in New Haven. Looks like its hugging the coast all day. Started 5:30 am ended 12:30pm here. Danbury just 25 minutes north of me got MUCH less.

Isn't it fun to see the rain total difference in such short distances? I had some embedded downpours within the rain too.
There was a heavy rain event here about 3 years ago when a town 30 km to the east got about 290 mm/12 inches in a 30 hour period, and a town 25 km NW got 440/18 inches in the same period. While my town between the two, could only manage 70 mm/2.8 inches

Old 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There was a heavy rain event here about 3 years ago when a town 30 km to the east got about 290 mm/12 inches in a 30 hour period, and a town 25 km NW got 440/18 inches in the same period. While my town between the two, could only manage 70 mm/2.8 inches
Wow! Yeah and in areas with many hills (hills enhance rainfalls) there could be some interesting results.

This is why it would be Euphoria for us to have official rain and snow totals for every single town.
Maybe in 300 years we will. lol

Right now we're relying on "some" stations (and satellite) compared to Earth's size to tell us we're wetter, hotter, snowier, colder, ect. I'm starting to find a problem with that but that's for another thread. Sorry

Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Wow! Yeah and in areas with many hills (hills enhance rainfalls) there could be some interesting results.

This is why it would be Euphoria for us to have official rain and snow totals for every single town.
Maybe in 300 years we will. lol

Right now we're relying on "some" stations (and satellite) compared to Earth's size to tell us we're wetter, hotter, snowier, colder, ect. I'm starting to find a problem with that but that's for another thread. Sorry
Rain stats are generally good in NZ, although probably don't include the wettest location. Snowfall sta on their new recorders.s are non existent, other than ski areas. Temperature isn't very representative - they only record a cluster of coastal locations in my area.

Sunshine is a mess. They non standard approach was abandoned about 25 years ago, and a bunch of places have suddenly become a lot sunnier. My region will lose it's Sunshine Capital status in another few years.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:15 PM

341 posts, read 341,297 times
Today, from my neighborhood in ŁÃ³dź, Poland. It was pretty hot, 31/88

This small tree I planted this year next to my block is Honey Locust, rare tree in my country. Black Locusts are much more popular (actually common)

I hope It'll look like this one in the future, found It today couple of miles from my home in a park:

Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM

584 posts, read 576,080 times

There's still enough snow up high that you need snowshoes and/or skis, so we've been hiking at lower elevations.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 PM

584 posts, read 576,080 times
Some local photos from this evening

Snow (and critter poop in the road)

More snow (and my incredibly sweet and handsome dog son)

I love this cabin.The restoration is gorgeous and if not for a modern vehicle parked outside, it could be 1850.

So many different shades of green

You can see into Montana

And, of course, my favorite mountains

Old 06-10-2014, 10:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Beautiful! The restored cabin pic with the Tetons in the background remind me of that western movie, Shane. Though the scenes were from the other side of the range.

Moar pics. Blue sky before the storms, from yesterday

Congestus cloud looming over the western horizon

Turbulent skies at the rear end of a weak storm, from today

Quote:
You should go to the Alps, do a bike ride and post photos! Alpe d'Huez?
Dunno. Those HC-rated climbs sound brutal.

Quote:
Are those conifers natural or a tree plantation?
All the conifers (firs, spruces and pines) are native to that region, but the natural forest has deciduous trees mixed in and is even supposed to be close to 100% deciduous at lower elevations. Logging is a big industry over there, and conifers are preferred.

Quote:
Some of your Paris photos look rather hilly, though.
Hilly yeah, but the climbs are short. Category 4 at best.

Quote:
A rattlesnake in California hissed at me, with fangs open.
What an inconsiderate behavior. Over here, snakes are far more respectful.

Quote:
Yeah, looks claustrophobic, I wouldn't like it. Poor folks have the Google Mobile coming by taking photos. Is there anywhere on this Earth you can live without human interference?

Member Susannah18 has it best
Western Europe is certainly not the best place for you if you seek complete isolation. Though I wonder how people in isolated locations react when they see a Google car in front of their fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Very cool! Except for the two first and last pictures, when were you in Finland again? You should've rang me and I could've shown some nice similar scenes!

Looked even more as Finland than JetsNHL's shots!
Interesting, I picture Finland as flatter than that, apart from the northern parts where there are no trees.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,538 times
went for a random bicycle ride out to the countryside today. temperature was 26-27C.

a fair few were taking a swim (not that visible from this distance though). the white diving tower in the distance to the left is 7.5m high. the lake is connected to a dam, so the water is almost always quiet chilly - even during warm summers.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
went for a random bicycle ride out to the countryside today. temperature was 26-27C.

a fair few were taking a swim (not that visible from this distance though). the white diving tower in the distance to the left is 7.5m heigh. the lake is connected to a dam, so the water is almost always quiet chilly - even during warm summers.
Love the water pic the best. Nice shot. Looks like you took a dip or was there a path across?
Interesting white dashed lines on either side of road. Here it's solid white. Is there a specific meaning for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Western Europe is certainly not the best place for you if you seek complete isolation. Though I wonder how people in isolated locations react when they see a Google car in front of their fence.
Western Europe is a pretty big area to make a statement like that. I'm sure there are places with complete isolation & spread out hills. No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather