Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:09 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,398,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
And here too it is forbidden to eat or drink at class. People had uniforms at school in the past. There are many years that we wear whatever we want.
Students here never had uniforms (that I remember). It's allowed to drink in class (especially when it's hot outside, when teachers drink too). It's usually forbidden to eat in class though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 07:14 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolina View Post
Students here never had uniforms (that I remember). It's allowed to drink in class (especially when it's hot outside, when teachers drink too). It's usually forbidden to eat in class though.
Oh yes I forgot. We were allowed to drink water but nothing else.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:27 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
Particular Schools here have A/C,But publics do not,i studied in twos. and i feel confortable studying with 30C..

Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Early dismissals are happening around the state tomorrow. Record highs. Mid 90s!

Some Connecticut schools plan to close early from heat | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 06-29-2016, 08:41 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
I don't ever remember getting out early or schools closing because of heat. That just doesn't happen lol. Now snow all it takes is someone mentioning it.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
They didn't close schools where I live when temperatures reached 106 F / 41 C in August 2007.

School started as scheduled for the 2007-2008 school year on August 13. The temperature hit 106 on August 16 and topped 100 F / 38 C every day of the first week of the school year and 4 of the 5 days the next week.

Statistically speaking, our high temperatures top out at 90 F / 32 C, on July 30 - August 12. But they are within 2 F of that (88 F+) from June 22 - August 30. It's very fortunate that all schools where I live have A/C.

The school years are starting way too early. They're making summer break flippin' sprummer break! I remember in 2004 my summer break was May 28 - August 16. The centerpoint of that is July 7, just nine days before the centerpoint of summer itself (July 16). That also keeps kids out of school during a vast majority of the most dangerously hot weather of summer.

By 2010, my summer break was May 20 - August 5! The centerpoint of that is June 27, nearly 3 weeks before the centerpoint of summer itself. What's so bad about running the school year into (early) June?

FWIW, my university has never closed for heat and probably would maybe if it was a 1 in 50 year event or something. My current summer break is May 11 - August 22 (centerpoint July 1) but the start date isn't bad, however I'd still shift the school year later a couple of weeks. It's so lopsided how average highs are still in the high 70s at the end of spring semester, but still high 80s at the beginning of fall semester.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 PM

765 posts, read 574,213 times
Those are very long summer breaks, here, for school, it's from just before Christmas to Australia Day, so the equivalent NH dates would be something like June 15 to July 26.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:45 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
I miss the school summer holidays a lot, in here they are 3 months long (from the 10-15th of June to the 10-15th of September). On the other hand, I went to school also on Saturday for all the middle and high school, and I don't miss it at all...

Anyway, I really can't imagine how it could be to go to school until late July, or to restart the new school year in August

Returning to the main topic, I have the strong impression that our school calendars are made for avoiding heat problems: schools just remain closed all over the summer. Of course AC are completely unheard in all our schools, from kindergarten up to universities.

Kindergartens have a little longer school year, from the beginning of September to the end of June, but I've never heard about problems about excessive heat neither in those cases. I remember that I passed practically all my Junes at kindergarten playing in the school yard, it was probably the funniest period of the year!

About primary schools I don't have much to say, I just wanted to show you the weird "uniforms" that some of us have to wear: the "grembiule" (I tried to look for a translation, and I found "smock").
A picture

In practice children are often asked to wear that stuff over regular clothes, so that they can't ruin their clothes. Once they were much more common and every school children wore them, nowadays instead it is common to see only really young children wearing them (kindergarten and first years of elementary school). Every single person I know hated them as a child, in particular when summer was approaching and you just wanted to wear a Tshirt and shorts.

Anyway, in general the period in which the hot temperatures can be more troublesome are the final exam at the end of middle and high school, that are made in the second half of June (the high school exam often finishes at the beginning of July).
I remember that when I did the written tests for my final exam at the high school, which are something like 6 hours long. We were allowed to keep a bottle of water with us and something to eat (a little snack), and the teachers also put a fan in the room we were in. That fan is the only alternative to the open windows I've ever seen in an Italian school. About that exam, I also remember that the day I had the oral part it was particularly hot, but in that case the high temperatures actually helped me because I was talking about global warming & co, and the teachers looked more interested than usual in what I was saying

In general the most of the problems I had with hot days were not at school, but at the university. We have a quite strange calendar at university, in practice the only periods in which we are sure to don't have lessons nor exams are August, the Christmas period and the Easter week. In general we nearly always end with exams all over June and July, for example this year my last exam will be the 28th of July
This means that we can have exams in really warm days, for example I remember an exam I did last summer in the middle of July. There were something like 36°C in Turin (not joking, last July was terrible in here) and I and four other students had an oral exam. The teacher that examined us was really old, I would say no less than 70 years old, and he took all the afternoon to listen the all of us. And of course there wasn't any AC. We were quite worried that he could have an heart attack or something similar, that afternoon was really impossible to remain in those classrooms...

talking about exams, it is better if I return to my spectra...

Old 07-04-2016, 10:48 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen5 View Post
i went to dubai on holiday at easter time and they shut down the schools when it was raining.... omg so pathetic. and the people couldn't even drive in rain.

it was really annoying because it rained every day and i stayed in the hotel room because there was nothing to do just shopping malls and sand. but i couldn't afford anything in the malls because daddy wouldn't pay for anything as it was so expensive. and we didn't even get direct flights, we flew via doha which sucked because we had to wait til 2 am for our flight in overnight and it was a waste of time.
It rained in dubai on easter.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:04 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
September heat wave. Baltimore closes schools that dont have AC

https://twitter.com/baltimoresun/sta...53689060524032
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather