Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 02:58 PM

211 posts, read 294,735 times

Advertisements

Which areas outside the tropic of cancer average a mean of 18C (64F) and fall under a tropical climate. For example despite the fact that miami lies well north of the tropic of cancer, people still consider miami to have a tropical climate. On the other hand Despite that hong kong is well in the tropics, it is still considered to have a subtropical climate due to the very cool winters it has in comparison to other tropical regions. Discuss and add your own opinion of whether you think those cities should or shouldn't be considered tropical or subtropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:08 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
I think that most of Tenerife (28N) should be considered as tropical.. also it is far less prone to cold than Miami is.. Miami goes below 0C and has received snow, so not too sure if it is truly tropical

Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I think that most of Tenerife (28N) should be considered as tropical.. also it is far less prone to cold than Miami is.. Miami goes below 0C and has received snow, so not too sure if it is truly tropical
Miami is tropical. I think a lot of you guys not from the tropics have too much of a stereotypical view of what the tropics ought to be, instead of what it is. Miami is a subtropical location with a tropical climate. Tropical =/= 25°C minimum 365 days a year and 0mm of snow

Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Miami is tropical. I think a lot of you guys not from the tropics have too much of a stereotypical view of what the tropics ought to be, instead of what it is. Miami is a subtropical location with a tropical climate. Tropical =/= 25°C minimum 365 days a year and 0mm of snow
I think Miami is definitely tropical, just unlike many other truly tropical climates it is prone to cold snaps. It is definitely not sub-tropical as it is still pretty warm in winter! That is true of most places in the south in the US though, I guess

Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
25°C annual average as minimum, by that criteria rio de janeiro wouldn't be tropical. The island of kauai wouldn't be tropical either. But they are both 100% true tropical climates.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:15 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Maputo at 26 S is tropical: Maputo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coastal SE Africa in general has many such anomalies.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
25°C annual average as minimum, by that criteria rio de janeiro wouldn't be tropical. The island of kauai wouldn't be tropical either. But they are both 100% true tropical climates.
I got my Celsius mixed up. Meant to say 21°C/70°F.

Tampico, Mexico is at the same latitude as Cuba and it has recorded snow before. Too many people from temperate climate zones have this misconception that tropical climates are all green, full of coconut palm trees, sunny skies, and temperatures no colder than 21°C everyday of the year. It just simply isn't true for many places. I blame this on travel brochures and the media in general, and I speak this as someone born and raised in the tropics that so many on this forum crave

Old 06-27-2014, 06:20 PM

607 posts, read 649,007 times
Hanoi at 21N is only subtropical despite not being next to a cool ocean, or at high elevation-

Hanoi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shocking sunshine hours for that latitude too, especially in the dry season.

Vinh on the coast of Vietnam, latitude 18deg 40m, only just makes it as tropical by the skin of its teeth, with 18.1C in the coolest month:
Vinh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-31-2015, 09:19 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,657,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
By that criteria Singapore isn't tropical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather