Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:25 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Where is the most safest place to escape from the suntan/sunburn all year round
Any good places that you are spending most of times in outside but hardly ever get tanlines.

Case 1)Worldwide
Case 2)United States
Case 3)Contiguous 48 States(If Alaska isn't the best, Case 2 and 3 will be same)

I guess Western Ireland and Southern Alaska is the best answer, can you calculate as whole global scale?
Foroe islands may be better on case 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 06:33 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes. A bit darker complexion and absolutely no freckles, otherwise you're II.

This person is very close to my complexion: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tamos_crop.jpg

Thanks. Ok, so I have to spend a lot of time out then, if seeing results only after 3 hours. Have to bike slowly then. The UV is expected to be 5 or 6 from around 11:20 to 15:30, so I'll have to take most out of that time.
It's good for your skin not to tan or burn. Actually UV of 6 is pretty strong even if far from as bad as it gets. It's like being in Miami but wearing solid SPF 3 or 4 on every inch of your body. Maybe more like SPF 4 in Miami solidly applied on every inch of skin without missing a spot

= mid-day Turku no sunscreen at all

In your case, your skin type III makes a difference. Red fair and freckles would see a coloring in just 40 minutes, sunburn in 80 minutes, badly sunburnt just over 2 hours (maybe 3-4 hours for scary deep red), and if out from 10AM on till supper no shade, no sunscreen, there would be peeling of the outer layer of skin (the beginning of the blister phase of exposure by 6pm meaning an 8 hour exposure)....
In Turku, Finland! If skies are clear of clouds
If you go swimming it may be a little stronger yet from reflecting UV

Most people have shade moments throughout the day so at worst for Finland you will usually see skin turned red on the fairest skinned people outdoors, and that's if they don't wear sunscreen.

US in the states fair skin leads easily to blistering without protection in summer.

Last edited by EricS39; 07-04-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times
I already know I burn in 7-10 min, because I can feel my skin burning (so I'm surprised with the other fairs who get 30-min outdoors with no burn)... can't walk on the beach, sadly, unless I walk 5-min out then 5-min back. When I do 1-2 hrs of errands (in & out of the car continually), I always return home with a bit of red skin.

I'd love to hear what you find... guess I just always need to use protection or maybe become a night dweller.

Skin type I
San Diego
11am

Thank you!

Old 07-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Any good places that you are spending most of times in outside but hardly ever get tanlines.

Case 1)Worldwide
Case 2)United States
Case 3)Contiguous 48 States(If Alaska isn't the best, Case 2 and 3 will be the same)

I guess Western Ireland and Southern Alaska is the best answer, can you calculate as whole global scale?

60°N doesn't look safe enough, my fantasies of Oslo, Bergen, and Anchorage...
Key pointer here is season matters more than latitude. It's almost a global standard that summer sun is strong. And also summer sun lingers pretty steadily from mid-May to early August

Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,405,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Key pointer here is season matters more than latitude. It's almost a global standard that summer sun is strong. And also summer sun lingers pretty steadily from mid-May to early August
Very true. I thought the sun movement is equally distributed each degrees between Spring Equinox~Summer Solstice and Summer Solstice~Autumn Equinox.
I was very surprised to figure out when the sun is on May 6th and August 6th(midpoint) isn't located directly at 11.7°N what I expected(about halfway of 23.5°N = 50%),
it's actually at 16.5°N(70% closer toward Tropic of Cancer from the Equator).

Last edited by tenkier7; 07-04-2014 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Case 1)Worldwide
Case 2)United States
Case 3)Contiguous 48 States(If Alaska isn't the best, Case 2 and 3 will be the same)

60°N doesn't look safe enough, my fantasies of Oslo, Bergen, and Anchorage...
Safest for the world for sun exposure would be the northern British Isles, Shetland, Orkney, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Baltic Sea area, places with frequent cloudcover and low lying fog and North Atlantic latitude, Ellesmere Island Canada, Barrow Alaska

Safest for US would be Barrow Alaska where summer days are frequently overcast

Safest lower 48 would be the wet precipitation spots in coastal Oregon and Washington state

The most sun-safe among the temperate latitudes is the Dead Sea desert below sea level area in Israel-Jordan (but in winter) because being below sea level adds more atmosphere thickness and also the Salt and minerals in the Dead Sea that rise to the surface act as a protection layer that absorbs UV. This is unusual because most bodies of water reflect UV but the Dead Sea's extreme salt concentration makes this water unusual. This isn't exactly sun-safe but the safest place to emerge in the heat of the sun, especially in winter. This is because it's still hot but UV not bad

Last edited by EricS39; 07-04-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
Well I'm Type IV and have been out in summer sunshine on the Tropic of Cancer and have never burned. I am very susceptible to sunstroke, however.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Well I'm Type IV and have been out in summer sunshine on the Tropic of Cancer and have never burned. I am very susceptible to sunstroke, however.
I think you are on the dark end of the type iv and maybe closer to black. You also, having grown up in the tropics, programmed your body to build up some level of immunity to the UV by exposing your body on various controlled separated occasions

For those not living in the tropics:
If you are planning to go into a high UV area on say a vacation to Hawaii or Mediterranean and normally you live in a place with very little UV, it can in that situation be beneficial to build up 10 minutes per day of UV sun exposure for 2-4 weeks before your trip so that your body is used to what it's about to take in.

This is better than not doing this and just shocking your body to something it never dealt with before.

#1 Safest/ stay out of sun
Second safest/ protective clothing
Third safest/ properly applied sunscreen
Fourth safest/ spend 10 minutes in sun each day up to 2 weeks before you plan on big exposure

But melanoma, the worst form of skin cancer, aside from heredity, will be most a risk factor for someone not very exposed to UV who got extremely bad sun during a 2-week vacation and then went home and barely saw the sun for a year. That is the worst. It is worse than the person who lives in the tropics. Though the person best off is the one who avoids any bad sun exposure altogether by taking the precautions above.

But the immunity factor makes sense. It is to say that while there is no safe level of exposure, a steady flow of mild exposure over many evenly spread out days is healthier than "a sudden outlying extremely bad exposure for 2 weeks out of the year, and no exposure the other 50 weeks"

And it would make sense in human evolution that sun exposure within limited proper doses is beneficial because the sun nourishes vitamin D and can calm/tranquilize a person, reduce depression, etc.
This means there's a level that the positives outweigh the negatives, but any overdose immediately turns bad.

If all you want to protect is skin, then shooting the moon is reduce all exposure all the time. If you want balance, take the precautions but still enjoy outdoor sunshine avoiding mid-day hours, but enjoy little amounts of sun over a steady upkeep. Worst mix is the no sun most the year and blistering sun all in a row.

Last edited by EricS39; 07-04-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 08:42 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,176,932 times
July 5 - 12:00 pm. Fair skin. Nashville, TN.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Very true. I thought the sun movement is equally distributed each degrees between Spring Equinox~Summer Solstice and Summer Solstice~Autumn Equinox.
I was very surprised to figure out when the sun is on May 6th and August 6th(midpoint) isn't located directly at 11.7°N what I expected(about halfway of 23.5°N = 50%),
it's actually at 16.5°N(70% closer toward Tropic of Cancer from the Equator).
Yep it's a sine function

This means that the real season distribution is more like a bird migration pattern

April 21st thru August 21st it's North in high UV (4 steady months)

August 21st thru October 21st it's rapid meteorological changes (2 month rapid migration)

October 21st thru February 21st is South in high UV zone (4 months)

February 21st to April 21st is rapid change (2 month rapid migration)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather