Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,301 times

Advertisements

All I need from you is your skin type (fair skin, average Caucasian, Olive Sicilian, black African). What category is closest to your skin

And also what time do you plan to be outside and I will tell you, with no sunscreen, how many minutes till you burn

City
Skin type
Time of day on your clock you will be outside

I will look up the weather forecast to factor cloud cover

Some relative findings in my model:

An overcast day in New York on 4th of July and being outside after 10:30pm

Equals being in Paris on a Mostly cloudy 4th of July day mid-day

Equals being in Copenhagen on a partly cloudy 4th of July day

Equals being in Lilehammer Norway on a clear 4th of July day

A black person is more protected from the sun even on a clear day than a fair skin person is on the same calendar day even if it were overcast

Black African melanin compared to fair skin is more shield than complete cloud over clear sky

But southern italian complexion is not as much shield to fair skin as cloud cover will provide over clear sky

Last edited by EricS39; 07-04-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,405,562 times
Do you have a program to figure out each situations?
I was very impressed your post here Have you ever had a sunburn on a December day?

Fayetteville, North Carolina located just south of 35°N
Skin type : between average caucasian to olive sicilian maybe closer to former
Time of the day : around 11:00AM or 3:40PM sun angle would be above 57 degrees in July 4, 2014 (1:20PM is the solar noon time) I want to know for July

Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Turku, Finland
Skin type III
Outside 10am - 4pm

Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post

Some relative findings in my model:

An overcast day in New York on 4th of July and being outside after 10:30pm

Equals being in Lilehammer Norway on a clear 4th of July day
How is that possible (especially the bold - )? I have been sunburnt at Lillehammer's latitude at this time of year before (I have type II skin) and find it hard to believe I could burn in New York on an overcast day, ever.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 PM

You made an excellent thread. I'm recently interested in sunlights and skin issues then you show up this topic.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Do you have a program to figure out each situations?
I was very impressed your post here Have you ever had a sunburn on a December day?

Fayetteville, North Carolina located just south of 35°N
Skin type : between average caucasian to olive sicilian
Time of the day : around 11:00AM or 3:40PM (1:20PM is the solar noon time) for July
Yes and I am continuously improving the model with recent focus on ozone thinning, snow albedo, and arctic and Antarctic factors like how much to up the dose of UV at undervalued low sun angles due to elevating risk factors near the poles

For Fayetville, NC at 3:40pm

Fair skin can get color in 36 minutes and burn in 75 minutes

Avg white person though will see color in 50 minutes to show color and 107 minutes to show a burn

Southern italian will see color in around 130 minutes (just over 2 hours) and not get much of a burn because not enough time by 3:40pm left in the day for tan effect for them

Black person won't see any skin effects at all

I can also tell you how much will give you peeling skin, blister, charcoal skin

And the most frightening human test is a clear end of June day on top Mount Everest ....that's as bad it gets on planet earth.
Visible impact on a fair skinned person shows in just 3-4 minutes of being outside
And blisters in under an hour

And that is about the only scenario where a black African can also get a bad sunBurn! To the point of ouch

Old 07-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Yes and I am continuously improving the model with recent focus on ozone thinning, snow albedo, and arctic and Antarctic factors like how much to up the dose of UV at undervalued low sun angles due to elevating risk factors near the poles

For Fayetville, NC at 3:40pm

Fair skin can get color in 36 minutes and burn in 75 minutes

Avg white person though will see color in 50 minutes to show color and 107 minutes to show a burn

Southern italian will see color in around 130 minutes (just over 2 hours) and not get much of a burn because not enough time by 3:40pm left in the day for tan effect for them

Black person won't see any skin effects at all

I can also tell you how much will give you peeling skin, blister, charcoal skin
Does the time factors are cumulative let's say I'm between those two so I'll get color around 90 minutes.
If I stay outside 30 minutes every each other day, is my skin gonna be show effect in 3 days since started?

Quote:
And the most frightening human test is a clear end of June day on top Mount Everest ....that's as bad it gets on planet earth.
Visible impact on a fair skinned person shows in just 3-4 minutes of being outside
And blisters in under an hour
How miserable is that

Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Turku, Finland
Skin type III
Outside 10am - 4pm
How do you find out your skin type then?

OK so I found a page about it. I'm skin type II apparently.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:47 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	skin_types.jpg
Views:	3878
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	132378
Here's a picture to understand easier.
Courtesy to Himalaya Sports Sun Protection

Click image for larger version

Name:	evoderma-fitzpatrick-skin-tone-scale.png
Views:	7184
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	132379
Example of celebrities

Old 07-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Does the time factors are cumulative let's say I'm between those two so I'll get color around 90 minutes.
If I stay outside 30 minutes every each other day, is my skin gonna be show effect in 3 days since started?

How miserable is that
For pre-noon hours I will give you a more intense reading since the sun is intensifying for every minute you are outside. Afternoon start time gets better from the start time, but this is not something to get too excited about. Being outside too many hours continuously in sun (even at lower angles) is a build-up effect. Your skin natural protection starts to weaken until you give it a break to recover.

So to answer your question, Much much much worse if out continuously 90 minutes than out 30 minutes 3 separate times. In fact, duration of exposure plays into severity. That's why if you are out since 2pm, the 5pm sun is worse for you than if you just step out at 5pm. And this is why for afternoon I would not brush off the seriousness of 3pm sun by rationalizing in an hour you are home free. That 4pm sun is actually worse for you if it's continuous to your 3pm exposure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather