Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

It better not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I thought a strong El Nino was coming, which means warmer winter in the eastern U.S.???

Overall, it wasn't a horrible winter here in Denver. Just that the two times the Arctic air backed up to the Front Range, it was colder than typical Arctic air and lasted longer. But that was only a total of 10 days our of the entire winter. We never had much snow on the ground, and it melted inbetween snows. But our Spring was entirely stupid. 4" of snow on May 11?? Never saw that before. I think that was our heaviest snow for the entire winter snow season
We had snow cover from early December until early April with at least more than 1 inch the entire time.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:48 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It appears that the sadists and preppers are gathered in force, wishing another disaster upon us! I'm sitting here at latitude 39 deg N, wondering how it's even possible to have successive temperatures of -10 deg F essentially at sea-level. Yet that's precisely what we had.

We're just not equipped for such winters. Our houses are large and poorly insulated, our cars lack the electrical systems and the HVAC systems to cope (mine was very difficult and ornery to start last winter; I was stranded multiple times, not to mention stuck in the snow). We don't have adequate plows to clear the snow, and the asphalt is just brutalized by such weather. Many of us don't have the proper boots or overcoats. People freeze to death in such weather - and I'm not talking about drunks falling asleep in the (frozen) gutter or elderly senile people wandering off in their pajamas.

I'd rather take 120 deg F without air conditioning. Another winter like that, and I'm moving to Baghdad!
Ohio winters are very mild compared to the upper Midwest. Northern Wisconsin experienced the coldest winter on record during this past season with an average temperature of 4F for the core meteorological season of December 1st to February 29th. They are equipped to deal with nordic conditions at all times as the latitude is 45-47N at elevation up to 1800ft- also partially in the Lake Superior snowbelt. Coldest lows were around -35F, but far short of the -55F recorded in Couderay in 1996.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,773 times
Global cooling is real. It is fun to watch it play out. Stay tuned but be patient, climate does not follow a political agenda.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ohio winters are very mild compared to the upper Midwest. Northern Wisconsin experienced the coldest winter on record during this past season with an average temperature of 4F for the core meteorological season of December 1st to February 29th. They are equipped to deal with nordic conditions at all times as the latitude is 45-47N at elevation up to 1800ft- also partially in the Lake Superior snowbelt. Coldest lows were around -35F, but far short of the -55F recorded in Couderay in 1996.
My location is only 40 miles north of the Ohio River... on the southern terminus of the Midwest. Many locals are by culture and extraction Southerners. The local area is unequipped for severe winters, either in infrastructure or mentality. What's amazing is the severity of the winters, given the comparatively low latitude. Our latitude is comparable to that of Lisbon (Portugal) or Athens (Greece), yet our winters rival those of Copenhagen or even Stockholm.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:04 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
I hope so.

This year is going to be a Dfa here, and we're normally a Cfa.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
I sure hope not. It barely qualified as a climatic winter here. The one before was uneventful and boring as well. I'm ready for an extreme, stormy one like 2008-2010.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:36 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Winter of 2014-2015 will be different that the last one ..Warmer in the Northern States with same precipitation in the south States as El Nino is in the works ....

Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What I hate about North America is that we can have repeatedly well below normal winters, whereas it seems everywhere else in the world gets one about every 30 years.
Quote:
Well, I'm sure Europe will have another very mild one. It seems your severe winters only happen once in decades compared to every other year over here.
I'd like to see stats backing up your impressions. Here are graphs featuring the number of winters and winter months at least 1°C below normal in Philly, a central European continental climate (Warsaw) and a western European oceanic climate (Paris). The normals used here are 1950-today to be consistent.

Oops, forgot to put it, the scale is in degrees Celsius

So Philadelphia has slightly more winter months between 1°C and 2°C below normal, but Warsaw takes the lead when it comes to winter months at least 2°C below normal, the gap between Philly and Warsaw increasing at each threshold. The most anomalous winter month in Philadelphia was less than 7°C below normal, whereas Warsaw has seen a month more than 11°C below normal. When it comes to severely below normal months (at least 5°C below avg, even Paris takes the lead over Philly. It has seen a month more than 8°C below normal, a thing that hasn't happened at all in Philly within the timeframe.

Pretty much the same pattern when entire winters are considered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Global cooling is real. It is fun to watch it play out. Stay tuned but be patient, climate does not follow a political agenda.
A cold winter in the eastern US means global cooling is real?

Old 07-12-2014, 07:18 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Well, I'm sure Europe will have another very mild one. It seems your severe winters only happen once in decades compared to every other year over here.
That's not true. 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011 and 2012/2013 were all colder than normal, with some record-breaking temperatures and very heavy snowfall. Last winter felt weird because of the lack of snow, especially since the winters preceding it were so cold and snowy (by our standards).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather