Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more likely to get settling snow for 24 hours?
Christchurch 1 6.25%
Dunedin 1 6.25%
Invercargill 13 81.25%
It's equal in all three cities 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,226 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find public snow data anywhere for New Zealand, but i do know that all three cities can get settling snow during winter at sealevel which is remarkable for the Southern hemisphere since this will only be beaten by Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego.

But where is it most likely from those three choices. Initially i would say Invercargill since its the southernmost city and also has the lowest winter means of the three. On the other hand, Stewart Island is directly to the south of the city, so maybe this could block air masses coming from the South (Antarctica).
What do you think?

Averages
Christchurch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch

Dunedin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin#Climate

Invercargill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invercargill#limate

Last edited by The East Frisian; 08-05-2014 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Invercargill.

It's southernmost.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Well finally a realistic and interesting likely battle thread!

I would say Invercargill as well.. seems the most likely and it is the southernmost

Old 08-06-2014, 03:36 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Finally indeed!

Definitely Invercargil.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,226 times
Would be interesting what our New Zealandian members say to the poll, but looks like a clear vote for Invercargill.

And found a report from a heavy snowstorm in Invercargill in September 2010.
No snow depth is given but i guess that was probably more than 15 cm / inches and that stayed throughout the day.
Invercargill snow relentless - Story - NZ News - 3 News

Also this blog mentioning heavy snow storms which stroke large parts of New Zealand during the winter 1939.
The Snow of ’39 | MetService Blog

Regarding my poll Invercargill is in the lead, but it looks like Dunedin can get its fair share of heavy settling snow at sea level as well at times.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 AM

607 posts, read 649,007 times
If it stayed through the day in Invercargil in September thats very impressive, anything much less than 10cm will not usually last through the day in March here. Even if the temp barely gets above freezing light snows will vanish in the sun from mid-February onwards. In December and January though I've known 2cm last a week.

I think Christchurch had a really big fall to sea level in 1992, it gets a 3-5cm fall quite regularly from what I've seen. Might struggle to last because I think the lowest maximum there is above freezing, NZ just can't seem to get really cold days at the coast. Dunedin from what I remember is a very hilly city, it must have big variations and only a small part of it is at sea level.

Where is the furthest north snow has settled in NZ at sea level? I've seen pictures of lying snow in parts of Wellington but not from the harbour/seafront area.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The East Frisian View Post
Would be interesting what our New Zealandian members say to the poll, but looks like a clear vote for Invercargill.

And found a report from a heavy snowstorm in Invercargill in September 2010.
No snow depth is given but i guess that was probably more than 15 cm / inches and that stayed throughout the day.
Invercargill snow relentless - Story - NZ News - 3 News

Also this blog mentioning heavy snow storms which stroke large parts of New Zealand during the winter 1939.
The Snow of ’39 | MetService Blog

Regarding my poll Invercargill is in the lead, but it looks like Dunedin can get its fair share of heavy settling snow at sea level as well at times.
The snow looks like the kind that would be gone if the sun came out for even a minute..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
If it stayed through the day in Invercargil in September thats very impressive, anything much less than 10cm will not usually last through the day in March here. Even if the temp barely gets above freezing light snows will vanish in the sun from mid-February onwards. In December and January though I've known 2cm last a week.

I think Christchurch had a really big fall to sea level in 1992, it gets a 3-5cm fall quite regularly from what I've seen. Might struggle to last because I think the lowest maximum there is above freezing, NZ just can't seem to get really cold days at the coast. Dunedin from what I remember is a very hilly city, it must have big variations and only a small part of it is at sea level.

Where is the furthest north snow has settled in NZ at sea level? I've seen pictures of lying snow in parts of Wellington but not from the harbour/seafront area.
I've had snow last three days in April.. Don't know where you got that idea from.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Yeah, after a few hours that seems to be the case.. certainly in March onwards it never sticks around for long unless it is a very potent cold spell.. but even then by March it is difficult to get very cold days

Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times
Invercargill as it looks like it's far more prone to Southern Ocean cold fronts than the other two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather