Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times

Advertisements

How about you get with the civilised world and understand both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Nobody knows what a KM is speak English buddy
Only the majority of people on the weather forum.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
This buoy out in the middle of the lake is reporting 62.6F. Brrrr. You are using very shallow water temps heated up by the sun. If the winds blows that 62F water to shore, you ain't going swiming. I'm sure that happens.

And the historical data for that buoy shows the avg lake temps peaks at 22C in August.

Here you go:

station 45007

National Data Buoy Center

NDBC - View Climatic Summary Plots
But who swims in the middle of the lake? If you swim at the beach where the water is measured at say 76F, then that is the temp not the 66F in the middle of the lake.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:03 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
But who swims in the middle of the lake? If you swim at the beach where the water is measured at say 76F, then that is the temp not the 66F in the middle of the lake.

It is a snapshot of the temps without winds blowing that cold water over towards the coast. If east winds came up it would pull that colder water towards shore. I would like to see long term avg temps of the water along the shore at Lake Michigan. I can't imagine it averaging 80f for more than a few days during very hot summers.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
This is another great beach around 55 miles from Philly. Totally undeveloped and natural.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It is a snapshot of the temps without winds blowing that cold water over towards the coast. If east winds came up it would pull that colder water towards shore.
That can and does happen. Quite annoying when it does, but it's not that often.... You said it yourself, that you get upwelling which drops your coastal temps.... This is why I love the Gulf Coast. Don't have to worry about any of that

Quote:
I would like to see long term avg temps of the water along the shore at Lake Michigan. I can't imagine it averaging 80f for more than a few days during very hot summers.
Like I said, in most summers the shoreline temps along Chicago peak around 80 degrees during the month of August (and in Indiana a little warmer than that). For how many days? That depends. It could be as little as for a few days to a few weeks, and into September. In very hot summers shoreline temps have reached above 85 degrees, and in hot summers even the mid lake buoy which is placed 50 miles out, in a part of the lake that is known as the South Chippewa Basin actually reaches over 80 degrees as well. It is located in one of the deepest parts of the lake at 530 ft deep, deepest is a few miles from where the buoy is and the depth is at 902ft. Why do you feel that buoy represents "Chicago's water temps"?

Quote:
For Chicago-area swimmers, the shore temperature is taken at a depth of about 15 feet at the Jardine Water Purification Plant near Navy Pier. In most summers the water temperature usually peaks around 80 degrees in August. Open lake water temperatures, which are usually lower than the shore readings, are recorded at the NOAA buoy moored in Lake Michigan about 50 miles east-southeast of Milwaukee and have been archived since 1981. The highest water temperature recorded there was 81.3 degrees on Aug. 18, 1995, a reading that occurred during a very hot summer that led to Chicago’s deadly July 12-16 heat that killed more than 750 people.
What is the highest recorded temperature for Lake Michigan? | Chicago Weather Center: Skilling's Forecast and Chicago Severe Weather Alerts

Another place where I stayed in the water ALL day long..... Puerto Rico

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 08-12-2014 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
I'll have to try 30C SSTs someday.. but I have a feeling it would be too warm. The point of going in the sea for me is either to cool down or to catch the waves, which means I am active and therefore find 25C temps warm

Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
I'll get my 30C SST in Egypt in 7 week's

Old 08-13-2014, 05:01 AM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
What i'm not allow to express my views? It seems to me that you took offense to this comment

I just think it's cold... By definition it's cold.

Going outside for any significant amount of time unprotected in a Chicago winter can kill you. Same as going in 20C water without a wet suit.
Erm you were the one that took issue with me saying it wasn't cold, I said that people have different temperature tolerances & you didn't just say in your own personal opinion it is cold, but that factually it is cold

Going in 20C water will not kill you. Fact. Thousands do it at beaches in the UK & I have never heard of anyone getting hypothermia or dying from going for a swim in the sea in the UK

I suggest you stop searching for OTT infographics & trawling the internet for information & actually listen to the opinions of people who have experience of certain climates etc..

Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,182,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I just think it's cold... By definition it's cold.
I agree with you. Sea water at 20°C feels definetely cold to me, it is not a pleasant temperature for swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather