Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 02:30 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,976,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
When a supposed professional meteorologist talks about blizzards as "made everything right", and wicked winter storms as wonderful things, you know you are dealing with a very strange and biased individual. He assumes that everyone loves wicked winter storms that kill people and cause mayhem, panic and just overall terrible things. Plain and simple he is a crackpot extremist in everything, not just meteorology.
That little spiel says more about you than JB, especially considering I've never seen you condemn in the same way supposed professional meteorologists endlessly praising heat and sun while assuming everyone loves it, and ignoring the fact heat kills far more Americans every year than blizzards. I'm glad to finally see your true feelings about people like me whose preferred weather differs from yours - "strange and biased" indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't believe the Eastern U.S cold coming?
Yes, you are . Seriously, it is a pretty strong signal; it's not as if we're talking penumbras and emanations here, since the first part of the pattern transition is taking place now.

Quote:
Brutal winter so far here, just depressing and torture. Not even 1/2 inch of snow yet.
That's why I say living in a warmer and less snowy place in exchange for a few bigger storms is a bad deal - what you gain in a few storms you more than give back in all the little snows and cold nights which otherwise would add up to make a good winter season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 02:40 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,614,027 times
Amazingly mild morning in central Europe and even Sweden

Old 12-19-2014, 04:54 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,948,952 times
Today high and low: 5C/3C
Tomorrow: 3C/-3C
Sunday: 0C/-2C
Monday: 4C/-3C
Tuesday: 3C/-1C
Christmas Eve: -2C/-5C
Christmas: -5C/-7C
Boxing Day: -5C/-9C
Saturday: -4C/-6C
Sunday: -5C/-6C

Finally some cold, hopefully this pattern will not change.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:07 AM

389 posts, read 585,130 times
Cool here today and looks like warming up after Christmas.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:18 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,614,027 times
2pm

0ºC in both Bragança, Portugal and Léon, Spain, those are the coldest province capitals of both countries, and a warm 21ºC in Alicante.

In fact this may be the first ice day for Portugal below 1000 meters this winter season, there's still two stations below 0ºC at 2pm in the extreme northeast, but they will probably have an high around 0.5/1ºC.

A very rare event today, as the warmest of all 99 Portuguese offical stations from the mainland, is the highest one, 16ºC at 1400 meters in Penhas Douradas.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:01 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,426,653 times
Quote:
10-20 above normal surface temps after Christmas. Don't believe the cold hype until it happens.
Actually it's the warm hype you posted that I don't believe.

Why would I not believe cold? It's already cold. It's still below freezing at 11am. Is that your idea of a warm pattern?

Old 12-19-2014, 09:05 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,693,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post

Why would I not believe cold? It's already cold. It's still below freezing at 11am. Is that your idea of a warm pattern?
Actually a large part of the Midwest and east are headed for a warming trend. New York City should reach the low 50s by early next week. That is mild for this time of the year.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,879,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That little spiel says more about you than JB, especially considering I've never seen you condemn in the same way supposed professional meteorologists endlessly praising heat and sun while assuming everyone loves it, and ignoring the fact heat kills far more Americans every year than blizzards. I'm glad to finally see your true feelings about people like me whose preferred weather differs from yours - "strange and biased" indeed.

Yes, you are . Seriously, it is a pretty strong signal; it's not as if we're talking penumbras and emanations here, since the first part of the pattern transition is taking place now.

That's why I say living in a warmer and less snowy place in exchange for a few bigger storms is a bad deal - what you gain in a few storms you more than give back in all the little snows and cold nights which otherwise would add up to make a good winter season.
Stuff it. I've never praised heat. I don't like extremes, unlike you.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:45 AM

464 posts, read 448,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post

There is some indication we are heading into a colder pattern post Christmas however I would advice everyone to take a wait and see approach on it. Originally the long range forecasters were predicting a colder than normal second half of December with "return of the polar vortex" and everything and we certainly aren't seeing that.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:38 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,962,352 times
Quote:
Am I the only one that doesn't believe the Eastern U.S cold coming? Brutal winter so far here, just depressing and torture. Not even 1/2 inch of snow yet.

Latest Euro says after Christmas a ridge builds in the East. I can see that with a giant storm cutting to the Great Lakes will carve a ridge in the atmosphere and push it up the East. Atmosphere has memory so it will probably continue it for longer.

I just remembered my rule of thumb. In a cold pattern don't believe the warmupshowing in long range until it happened or at least gets within 2 days. Vise Versa in a warm pattern don't believe the cold coming. In a normal pattern it can go either way.
I agree with you. I'll believe the cold when I see it. I don't see much evidence of my area being much below average any time soon.

At least the possible SE ridge doesn't look like it will become a mega ridge of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather