Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 03:58 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What's going on Mt. Washington? It's now -16°F on the summit,
I know the Summit is higher than 850mb but here's a look at that level. Nice dig! -20C line down to central VT/NH/ME. Some snow showers in the Virginia mountains.

Normal is -8C for over Albany area. -5C for coast here.

Here's the 700mb Level temps (10,000')

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 04:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Hmm. This time the axis of cold is aimed right towards northern New England instead of the usual Upper Midwest. As I said before, seems like usually when that happens it's a transition at the end of a cold blast.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. This time the axis of cold is aimed right towards northern New England instead of the usual Upper Midwest. As I said before, seems like usually when that happens it's a transition at the end of a cold blast.
Yup, interesting observation. Its just the way it's "swinging" out. Midwest first, New England next which would mean the end of it technically until the next one swings in. Which would be in 3 days, but not as cold as we have now. -20C is up near Hudson Bay instead and -10C is not a widespread airmass

Forgot to provide a link to see those level temps. Pretty cool map here.

under plot choose temperature
Then choose your vertical level.
You can also go ahead into the forecast hours to see the changes

AWC - ADDS Wind Temp Data

Old 01-16-2015, 04:23 PM

464 posts, read 451,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
BDL reporting Light snow from Streamers off the Lakes. Rare they reach the coast but do happen and with the winds strong enough lets see if they get enough push while keeping enough moisture in them.

NW NJ getting some snow

Wind gusts over 30mph here. Binghamton reporting 1/2 mile visibility with snow with strong winds and feels like 1F!.

A look at the wind gust reports and whos reporting snow.

From NH What the Lake Effect Streamer looks like from NH right now.

"This snow squall has a shelf cloud!! "

https://twitter.com/WeatherNut27/sta...239424/photo/1
Thundersnow? If that was in the summer I would be heading inside.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:19 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
I'm ready for spring. I remembered I'd rather have snow with a cold winter. Not this dry bare ground crap. Kinda got spoiled past few years and forgot what it was like. Especially getting rains on frozen grounds. Whats the point of cold. So bring on Spring. I wanna be in the garden in shorts and short sleeves. (sounds like depression kicking in already, lol)
You're crazy. Springs means we'll start getting a taste of nasty summer weather (searing sunshine, higher humidity, hotter temperatures, allergies, need for air conditioning, etc.) There may not be snow on the ground, but the air is cold and refreshing, especially with those brisk Canadian winds. I can walk outside without sweating. The trees are bare and the atmosphere is still wonderful. Too bad we can't go from March to October instantly lol.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I'm ready for spring. I remembered I'd rather have snow with a cold winter. Not this dry bare ground crap. Kinda got spoiled past few years and forgot what it was like. Especially getting rains on frozen grounds. Whats the point of cold. So bring on Spring. I wanna be in the garden in shorts and short sleeves. (sounds like depression kicking in already, lol)
What?! I wouldn't have expected that out of you! You sound like me! If we have to winter, I'd rather it be snowy and without severe cold, 20s and some 30s.

Quote:
You're crazy. Springs means we'll start getting a taste of nasty summer weather (searing sunshine, higher humidity, hotter temperatures, allergies, need for air conditioning, etc.) There may not be snow on the ground, but the air is cold and refreshing, especially with those brisk Canadian winds. I can walk outside without sweating. The trees are bare and the atmosphere is still wonderful. Too bad we can't go from March to October instantly lol.
Spring, a time when most days aren't very cold nor very warm is worthwhile for itself, at least for some. I'd be happy for months for mid spring weather.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
bbc is predicting for light snow showers tomorrow.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 PM

Just so depressing it wipes out the cold air happiness. Have a read from NWS Boston. Single digits and Teens tonight. Rain in 24hrs.

.THE 12Z SUITE OF
DATA HAS TRENDED TOWARDS A FURTHER WEST TRACK WITH THE LOW PRESSURE
SYSTEM LATE SUNDAY INTO EARLY MONDAY AM. THIS IS WHAT THE ECMWF
MODEL HAS BEEN ADVERTISING FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS.
...PROBABLY SOMEWHERE
BETWEEN WORCESTER AND THE CAPE COD CANAL.

ONE MIGHT THINK THAT WE ARE SETUP FOR A SIGNIFICANT SNOWSTORM GIVEN
THE SHOT OF ARCTIC AIR TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY...BUT THAT IS NOT THE
CASE
. HIGH PRESSURE QUICKLY MOVES OFF THE COAST AND AN INITIAL LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKS ACROSS THE NORTHERN GREAT LAKES INTO CANADA.
THIS ALLOWS WARMER AIR AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT TO QUICKLY INVADE
THE REGION. SO IT LOOKS LIKE MAINLY HEAVY RAIN IS IN THE CARDS FOR
LATE SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY NIGHT.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:22 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Just so depressing it wipes out the cold air happiness. Have a read from NWS Boston. Single digits and Teens tonight. Rain in 24hrs.

.THE 12Z SUITE OF
DATA HAS TRENDED TOWARDS A FURTHER WEST TRACK WITH THE LOW PRESSURE
SYSTEM LATE SUNDAY INTO EARLY MONDAY AM. THIS IS WHAT THE ECMWF
MODEL HAS BEEN ADVERTISING FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS.
...PROBABLY SOMEWHERE
BETWEEN WORCESTER AND THE CAPE COD CANAL.

ONE MIGHT THINK THAT WE ARE SETUP FOR A SIGNIFICANT SNOWSTORM GIVEN
THE SHOT OF ARCTIC AIR TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY...BUT THAT IS NOT THE
CASE
. HIGH PRESSURE QUICKLY MOVES OFF THE COAST AND AN INITIAL LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKS ACROSS THE NORTHERN GREAT LAKES INTO CANADA.
THIS ALLOWS WARMER AIR AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT TO QUICKLY INVADE
THE REGION. SO IT LOOKS LIKE MAINLY HEAVY RAIN IS IN THE CARDS FOR
LATE SUNDAY INTO SUNDAY NIGHT.
Interesting. NH looks like a snow/mix scenario with the critical 0C thickness line at 500mb being very nearby. Relative to average, New England looks a bit colder for the rest of January compared to the Midwest. If you examine the flow pattern aloft you will notice that you have more Pacific energy cutting into Canada creating a chinook effect in the northern Rockies and that moderated air will impact the western 1/2 of the US and Canada off and on for the rest of January.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Could be worse. I'm forecast to get freezing rain Sunday. I can just stay home while it lasts. Glad it's followed by heavy rain afterward otherwise everything will be slippery. -3°F forecast tonight. Scared to look at my heating bill, thankful next week is milder. Arctic blasts cost $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather