Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis set a new record low temperature today of 6 and 7 below zero Fahrenheit(The more northern observation station was minus 7, the airport minus 6 degrees), the old record low was minus 2 set back in the year 1900.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 PM

269 posts, read 237,733 times
Looks like a cold, rainy day tomorrow with a high in the mid to upper 40s. I would much prefer snow to cold rain.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Pattern has stayed active but with the Jet stream pushed south more the activity has been in the south and Mid Atlantic. Next week it lifts north and so the Northeast gets involved again .

Here's what the GFS says for snow total in the U.S through March 7th. Impressive coverage for this time of year

Old 02-25-2015, 05:34 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
What are the chances of a cold spring for most of the country? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this cold pattern will hold at least through March - and that snowpack building southward should help in that regard.

They're calling for a big warm-up here next week - I hope that's just a temporary bounce and not a turnaround to above-average temps. Winter is too short as it is.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
They're calling for a big warm-up here next week - I hope that's just a temporary bounce and not a turnaround to above-average temps. Winter is too short as it is.
I see.. Looks like Models agreeing the Western Ridge shifts into Pacific and that means the Trough axis shifts west as well over the Plains and not TN / Ohio Valley / Northeast.

Using the CMC I added some notes.

Depending on the strength of that SE ridge (which I don't see strong yet, way too soon) the Northeast will stay seasonably chilly with this setup. Not well below but slightly below normal.

Southeast going to get very warm with widespread 70s & 80s with this setup

ECMWF/GFS DAY 8-10 MEAN 500MB HEIGHT COMPARISON

Old 02-25-2015, 06:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
What are the chances of a cold spring for most of the country? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this cold pattern will hold at least through March - and that snowpack building southward should help in that regard.

There's just so much cold air in the arctic, so it can well continue, at least for the Midwest and New England. I don't think it will stretch far enough to Atlanta, but neither would I expect above average temps.

Europe seems to also get a chilly start of the spring with below average temps.

Could well carry on until mid March at least quite realistically.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM

There it is... Get ready northern Gulf Folks. Current temps and Radar. Its a mess around the Dallas Area with snow, sleet, ice, rain.
Storm in the Gulf

Future Radar Loop. Watch the clipper come down too. Atlantic City gets clipped, NYC north gets nothing. Supressed Jet Stream.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 AM

267 posts, read 352,186 times
Ugh more snow next Wednesday? Really? It's a week out so hopefully it shifts away before then

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 AM

Dallas, Texas sent up the usual morning weather balloon at 12z ... it never went up due to the ice.. So they tried a 2nd time... Look what was revealed.

"While the 1st was downed due to ice, the 2nd weather balloon tells the story of why so much rain fell vs. snow"

https://twitter.com/NWSFortWorth/sta...122049/photo/1

If that 850mb level is not below freezing, forget snow.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
There's just so much cold air in the arctic, so it can well continue, at least for the Midwest and New England. I don't think it will stretch far enough to Atlanta, but neither would I expect above average temps.

Europe seems to also get a chilly start of the spring with below average temps.

Could well carry on until mid March at least quite realistically.
True, though patterns breakdown with the change in seasons eventually. Jet stream is weaker. I'd guess by the end of March the pattern will become less stuck as solar heating and different temperature contrasts start to move things around. While it does stick around, even if it stays well below average, it won't reach the very low temperatures we've gotten. The same subarctic won't be as cold, and lower latitudes are starting to see some heating. Past the first week of March, our averages climb up fast. Still, for the next few week I'd expect cold weather, probably still well below but not record breaking cold. Our average high is 4.5°C right now, yesterday didn't go above -10°C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather