Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:16 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times

Advertisements

Well I think we have the answer to the Greenwich mystery. The hill to the west blocks out lots of afternoon sunshine in the winter, while the location (which appears to be under trees) causes the summer sunshine to be blocked out by the leaf canopy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:18 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Seems a silly place to put the Greenwich sun sensor then.

I've always thought Heathrow's temp recording equipment is dubious, the summer max often seems nearly a degree higher than nearby areas, except central london. But, it is away from the city, and not affected by the uhi, yet still seems over-warm. I heard that its sensor is surrounded by a lot of buildings and concrete and would bet it is not very sound.

When I was at the airport the other day atop the area outside terminal 5 the temp felt way colder than what their weather station was reporting at the time. Probably got some ventilation exhaust fans blowing across it or something.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:24 PM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post

I've always thought Heathrow's temp recording equipment is dubious, the summer max often seems nearly a degree higher than nearby areas, except central london. But, it is away from the city, and not affected by the uhi, yet still seems over-warm. I heard that its sensor is surrounded by a lot of buildings and concrete and would bet it is not very sound.
Heathrow has similar temperatures to Northolt and Kew.

This is the location of Heathrow's station.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Old 08-21-2014, 12:40 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post

When I was at the airport the other day atop the area outside terminal 5 the temp felt way colder than what their weather station was reporting at the time. Probably got some ventilation exhaust fans blowing across it or something.
Na, I would say genuinely South Western parts of London and parts of surrey can get around 23, maybe 24c most day in July and August. In fact sub 20c there is highly unusual during July and August... Anyways loosing track of my question again!

Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Na, I would say genuinely South Western parts of London and parts of surrey can get around 23, maybe 24c most day in July and August. In fact sub 20c there is highly unusual during July and August... Anyways loosing track of my question again!
That is true.. we are in just the right area..

It seems stupid for the MET office to make such basic errors.. it is obvious that there is an issue with sunshine hours at Greenwich..

Also the Wikipedia information is false, I edited it but some idiot keeps changing it back.. the record highs and lows are off as well

Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
That is true.. we are in just the right area..

It seems stupid for the MET office to make such basic errors.. it is obvious that there is an issue with sunshine hours at Greenwich..

Also the Wikipedia information is false, I edited it but some idiot keeps changing it back.. the record highs and lows are off as well
Even rural Wisley averages above 23c, though the lows are 1-2c cooler than Heathrow as expected. Most of north Surrey is warmer than Wisley as well, as it is sheltered by the North Downs and is mostly suburban sprawl.

Hampton is cloudier than Heathrow by about 60 hours. The weather station there is at the water works by the Thames. I used to live there and the area is covered with trees, possibly the reason for the discrepancy.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Even rural Wisley averages above 23c, though the lows are 1-2c cooler than Heathrow as expected. Most of north Surrey is warmer than Wisley as well, as it is sheltered by the North Downs and is mostly suburban sprawl.

Hampton is cloudier than Heathrow by about 60 hours. The weather station there is at the water works by the Thames. I used to live there and the area is covered with trees, possibly the reason for the discrepancy.
I have driven past there a few times.. that is probably the case. You wonder how such a basic error cna be made as to put a sunshine recorder in an area surrounded by trees

Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Apparently one of the reasons Eastbourne has frequently been the sunniest place in the UK as they placed their sunshine recorder away from the actual weather station site, on top of a cliff lol

Old 08-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Apparently one of the reasons Eastbourne has frequently been the sunniest place in the UK as they placed their sunshine recorder away from the actual weather station site, on top of a cliff lol
Lol that does make sense though.. after all its not like you can manipulate sunshine data.. if the sun is shining then the sun is shining and you should find a spot with no physical interference. It isn't like certain weather stations being on top of concrete buildings in cities with suspiciously high temp readings lol

Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Lol that does make sense though.. after all its not like you can manipulate sunshine data.. if the sun is shining then the sun is shining and you should find a spot with no physical interference. It isn't like certain weather stations being on top of concrete buildings in cities with suspiciously high temp readings lol
You would think not, but there were rumours that Eastbourne had manually burned extra sun hours onto their recording paper, after disputes from neighbouring resorts that didn't record anywhere near as much sunshine lol... It is a big thing for tourism to claim the title of sunniest resort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather