Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate: Southsea, Portsmouth, England
A 3 10.34%
B 4 13.79%
C 14 48.28%
D 5 17.24%
E 1 3.45%
F 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
A max of 9C isn't really "winter" for continental locations which predominate north of 40N latitude. It's more like November and March. Also a summer max of 22C is closer to a temperature most continental locations experience in the after midnight hours. Most in continental climates would call it late spring or mid fall weather.... And is in no way "summer like" to anyone who is used to a continental climate, subtropical climate, tropical climate, or desert climate....
Why do you have to compare it to a continental climate though? Most people from the UK would find the climate of continental places such as Chicago as "hell"...freezing cold winters & boiling hot summers.
Just because you personally don't find 22C a summer like temperature, doesn't mean that everyone thinks it is cold... Portsmouth gets a high of around 30C most summers & the record high is 35.0C, the average absolute minimum for Southsea is -3.4C, putting it in a USDA 9a zone, though some winters it barely drops below 0C...
After moving to Malta, where the average highs in summer are close to 32C, an average high of 22C is far more comfortable & you can actually be outside & do physical activities, there is a reason why people have 'siestas' here
And you moan that summers are too cold, then moan that winters are too warm, you are a walking contradiction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMoneyhands View Post
Why do all these crappy British climates get so much discussion?
Because people like you can't resist replying to the threads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 05:16 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
D+

Pleasant summers with good sunshine. Rest of the year is still too cool and dark.
April and May are quite sunny as well... But maybe still a little like winter for Sydney standards...

Last edited by Jas182; 08-22-2014 at 05:29 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 05:37 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Why do you have to compare it to a continental climate though?
Why can't I if that's the climate I live in and like?

Quote:
Most people from the UK would find the climate of continental places such as Chicago as "hell"...freezing cold winters & boiling hot summers.

Great the UK is oceanic....

Quote:
Just because you personally don't find 22C a summer like temperature, doesn't mean that everyone thinks it is cold...
Most people outside of oceanic climates would consider 22C max in the summer as very cool, regardless of whether they prefer it or not. Why because even Siberia normally sees higher temperatures in the summer. Just the other day I was telling my cousin how it may finally get a bit hot this week..... He hates hot weather..... In his own words, "I like it cool, give me 77F (25C) degrees all summer"

Quote:
Portsmouth gets a high of around 30C most summers & the record high is 35.0C, the average absolute minimum for Southsea is -3.4C, putting it in a USDA 9a zone, though some winters it barely drops below 0C...
Wow a high of 30C once a summer! Slap on the sunscreen!

Quote:
After moving to Malta, where the average highs in summer are close to 32C, an average high of 22C is far more comfortable & you can actually be outside & do physical activities, there is a reason why people have 'siestas' here
Siestas are a thing of the past for most places (doesn't even exist in the US), and a high of 32C is no where near reason to go hide indoors. That is a perfect summer temperature. A high of 22C is a very nice autumn or spring temperature to have.

Quote:
And you moan that summers are too cold, then moan that winters are too warm, you are a walking contradiction...
I'm moaning that this summer is too cold. I prefer a more continental climate than Chicago. Maybe something in the Dakotas or Nebraska. Who knows maybe I'll pack up and move. You decided to leave an oceanic climate right?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,284 times
Quote:
Siestas are a thing of the past for most places (doesn't even exist in the US), and a high of 32C is no where near reason to go hide indoors. That is a perfect summer temperature. A high of 22C is a very nice autumn or spring temperature to have.
Well actually your wrong. In most Mediterranean places siestas are a massive thing. All the shops, cafes and bars are shut between 12 and 3 (witch is inconvenient for a Brit who's wants a cup of tea!), even on the coasts of Spain where av temps are in the high 20s... I know this because I've been to Spain and Greece!

Quote:
I'm moaning that this summer is too cold. I prefer a more continental climate than Chicago. Maybe something in the Dakotas or Nebraska. Who knows maybe I'll pack up and move. You decided to leave an oceanic climate right?
Fair enough, you don't like oceanic climates... But I tell you this, Oceanic climates are much better than a continental hell of turning to ice in winter and melting away in summer! (In my opinion...)

Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,182,413 times
Quote:
Most people outside of oceanic climates would consider 22C max in the summer as very cool, regardless of whether they prefer it or not. Why because even Siberia normally sees higher temperatures in the summer. Just the other day I was telling my cousin how it may finally get a bit hot this week..... He hates hot weather..... In his own words, "I like it cool, give me 77F (25C) degrees all summer"

Totally agree with you
I think this is the main fault of this climate, the other seasons are dull but somewhat acceptable but summer is really cool and there's a total lack of warmth. The average high doesn't even reach 22°C in July...

This, combined with cold water temperatures, cloudiness, windiness, low sun index and high tides suggests that most of the time isn't good at all for enjoying the beach and water activities even in the middle of summer.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:18 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post

Fair enough, you don't like oceanic climates... But I tell you this, Oceanic climates are much better than a continental hell of turning to ice in winter and melting away in summer! (In my opinion...)
Agreed, there is no better climate than this in the world for its latitude. Siberia might get better summers (barely) but it's ridiculous in winter.... give me the oceanic comfort of Portsmouth round the year compared to continental garbage at 50°N any day!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Why can't I if that's the climate I live in and like?

Great the UK is oceanic....

I just find it silly to compare apples to oranges, why can't you simply rate a climate based on the climate, rather than comparing it to your own?? Of course the summers are not as hot as your, does that mean it does't have a summer? No of course not You wouldn't find 22C cold in your frigid winters, but apparently is it a pathetically cold temperature... And again that 22C is an average max, based on data from 1976-2005, most summer days are above 22C. Which is a perfectly comfortable temperature anyway

Siestas are not a thing of the past at all They have them all over the Med, shops here shut from 12 til 3 or 4... And again 32C is the AVERAGE high, it is often in the mid 30's here during the summer & it is very humid here, being an Island. earlier it was 30C with humidity of 85% & a dewpoint of 27.2C, that is not a comfortable temperature & anyone who says it is is lying! The Maltese all stay indoors during the heat of the day & most hate the summer as it is too hot for them to do stuff. It's fine if all you have to do is lay on a beach or lounge by a pool, but going about day to day life it is far from comfortable

You seem to constantly mistake your own personal opinions as fact...

Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Siberia does not get better summers really.. they get one month in July with an average max of near 25C still with cool minima, June and August are cooler and September and May are about 10C+ cooler than July

Old 08-22-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Totally agree with you
I think this is the main fault of this climate, the other seasons are dull but somewhat acceptable but summer is really cool and there's a total lack of warmth. The average high doesn't even reach 22°C in July...

This, combined with cold water temperatures, cloudiness, windiness, low sun index and high tides suggests that most of the time isn't good at all for enjoying the beach and water activities even in the middle of summer.
Just because it isn't as hot & sunny as the Med, doesn't mean you cannot go to the beach or enjoy it...

Whenever the sun is out during the summer Southsea beach is packed full of people, sunbathing (yes shock horror you can get a tan in the UK, the UV index peaks at 8 in Southsea) & even people go in the sea (hard to believe I know). Southsea has been a seaside resort for many,many years. It can't be that bad if people flock there during the summer...

And what do high tides have to do with anything anyway?

Old 08-22-2014, 06:31 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Just because it isn't as hot & sunny as the Med, doesn't mean you cannot go to the beach or enjoy it...

Whenever the sun is out during the summer Southsea beach is packed full of people, sunbathing (yes shock horror you can get a tan in the UK, the UV index peaks at 8 in Southsea) & even people go in the sea (hard to believe I know). Southsea has been a seaside resort for many,many years. It can't be that bad if people flock there during the summer...

And what do high tides have to do with anything anyway?
High tides are great! That is one of the downsides to the med.. you get no tides and no waves at all..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather