U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-24-2007, 09:52 PM

95 posts, read 337,049 times
Default Which U.S. area has a more Tropical Climate?

Which U.S. islands has a more Tropical Climate, the Florida Keys or the Hawailian Islands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-25-2007, 07:38 AM

75 posts, read 189,205 times
Hawaii! No cold snap there.

Unread 12-25-2007, 10:28 AM

9,597 posts, read 13,977,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar08 View Post
Which U.S. islands has a more Tropical Climate, the Florida Keys or the Hawailian Islands?
Most cities around sea level in Hawaii have all-time record lows from the high 40's F to the low 50's F.

Key West, the mildest of the Keys has a record low of 40 F.
Miami has a record low of at least 27 F.

*Not counting states, territories like Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands have a more tropical climate than Hawaii.

Unread 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM

766 posts, read 1,756,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Most cities around sea level in Hawaii have all-time record lows from the high 40's F to the low 50's F.

Key West, the mildest of the Keys has a record low of 40 F.
Miami has a record low of at least 27 F.

*Not counting states, territories like Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands have a more tropical climate than Hawaii.
Based on the OP's original question, Hawaii is more tropical overall (Honolulu's record low is 58). Guam and American Samoa are, by far, warmer than Puerto Rico and the U.S.V.I. on an annual basis (Agana, Guam only drops below 70 once every couple years).

Unread 01-13-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Guam and American Samoa are, by far, warmer than Puerto Rico and the U.S.V.I. on an annual basis (Agana, Guam only drops below 70 once every couple years).
Dude I really think you need to look at the Climatology charts...Puerto Rico's lowest temperature in recorded history is 62 degrees. Samoa and Puerto Rico have the exact same climate. Go on weather channel. com and do the comparison for yourself...I can guarantee you Guam is not warmer then the Virgin Islands. The low temperature in ST. Croix in the coolest month is 76 degrees

Unread 01-14-2008, 11:28 AM

The capital of Guam and the capital of Puerto Rico differ in temperature by 1 degree.

Unread 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Dude I really think you need to look at the Climatology charts...Puerto Rico's lowest temperature in recorded history is 62 degrees. Samoa and Puerto Rico have the exact same climate. Go on weather channel. com and do the comparison for yourself...I can guarantee you Guam is not warmer then the Virgin Islands. The low temperature in ST. Croix in the coolest month is 76 degrees

Dude? Whatever.

Weather.com is hardly the best place for climatology records. I have seen numerous instances of "recorded" low temperatures higher than the daytime highs, especially for international cities. Wow, trustworthy.

In response to your comment about Puerto Rico's lowest recorded temperature, you are WAY off. Aibonito recorded Puerto Rico's lowest-ever temperature of 39 and San Juan (the capital) has dropped to 60.

Your comment about the average low in the coolest month in St. Croix being 76 may be true (althought it's not), but where did you get your information? It sounds like you get all of your weather information from weather.com and, according to that website, the average low temperature is below 76 for 6 months of the year.

Have you ever thought of actually checking the National Weather Service forecast offices for OFFICIAL data? The F-6 forms here will give you the official recorded highs, lows and precipitation. There are F-6 forms for San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Croix, [Agana] Guam and Saipan. In looking at the observations for the past 7 or 8 years, Guam is definitely warmer than all of the cities I've noted in the Carribbean, even if only by a couple of degrees.

Unread 01-15-2008, 08:24 AM

Well let me first start off by giving you a quote..
Quote:
anyone who knows anything about climate understands, the closer to the equator and closer to sea level you are, the warmer and more uniform the climate (in terms of temperature).
by the way you wrote that. Being that you wrote that, it seems odd that you would fail to mention that Aibonito is located in the mountains, far from sea level. If you want to accurately compare the climates of two areas you have to use places that are similar in elevation. Now to my next point, I went through the National Weather Service for
Quote:
OFFICIAL data
and I found some intersting facts about Agana, Guam. It has an average high temperature of 84 degrees and an average low temperature of 71 degrees. It has also has a record high of 87 degrees and a record low of 56 degrees.

I then proceeded to look at the data for San Juan, PR. The information was so interesting and
Quote:
OFFICIAL
. San Juan is cooler than Agana Guam by an average of 1 degree in both high and low temperatures. In fact the the record high in San Juan is 92 degrees and the record low in San Juan is only 61 degrees
Quote:
San Juan (the capital) has dropped to 60
where did you get your
Quote:
OFFICIAL data
from? Wikipedia? lol
Quote:
Guam and American Samoa are, by far, warmer than Puerto Rico
really??

Unread 01-15-2008, 10:08 AM

8,945 posts, read 10,477,318 times
Hawaii is actually in the tropics (south of the Tropic of Cancer) and Key West is not, although not that far from the line ( I believe it runs across northern Cuba) Hawaii is less humid due to ocean currents coming down the West Coast from Alaska and then heading out toward Hawaii from northern Mexico, which causes a bit cooler water than the Gulf of Mexico. You will find similar vegetation in both locations though.

Unread 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Being that you wrote that, it seems odd that you would fail to mention that Aibonito is located in the mountains, far from sea level. If you want to accurately compare the climates of two areas you have to use places that are similar in elevation.
Regardless, here is one of your earlier posts, and I quote:

Quote:
Puerto Rico's lowest temperature in recorded history is 62.
This means that the lowest recorded temperature in the entire country of Puerto Rico was 62. This information is simply untrue.

Quote:
Now to my next point, I went through the National Weather Service for and I found some intersting facts about Agana, Guam. It has an average high temperature of 84 degrees and an average low temperature of 71 degrees. It has also has a record high of 87 degrees and a record low of 56 degrees.
This is a valiant effort, but it's only for the month of January. Congratulations! You know your way around the National Weather Service homepage!

Quote:
In fact the the record high in San Juan is 92 degrees and the record low in San Juan is only 61 degrees where did you get yourfrom? Wikipedia? lol really??
That's interesting, since San Juan had a high of 93 on October 10, 2007 (psst, I think you're still forgetting about the F-6 forms which list the actual recorded highs, lows, means, precip, winds, etc. for every day of every month - back to 2003 anyway). But I thought the lowest temperature recorded in all of Puerto Rico was 62. How could San Juan possibly have a record low of 61?

I think you're sort of missing the point of this entire thread. You seem to think that some place is warmer because it has a higher record temperature or it's colder because it has a lower record low temperature. Phoenix's record high is 122. Key West has a record high of 97. Key West has a higher annual temperature than Phoenix and has never even hit 100. Climate isn't based on records. Mean temperatures considered, Agana is warmer and that was my point from the beginning. If you look at F-6 forms for both Guam and San Juan, you'll note the temperature differences, most notably during the winter months.

I will withdraw my comment about Agana being warmer BY FAR than San Juan (that might be a stretch), but it still stands that Agana has a higher temperature on an annual basis than does San Juan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather