Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 5 14.71%
B 9 26.47%
C 4 11.76%
D 10 29.41%
F 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Oh dear, those poor people. But they had a -5C low even though all the other lows were above 10C, so not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:25 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
@george

Arlanda is about 23 miles north of Stockholm centre if I remember correctly. There is a weather station in south suburban Stockholm that is even colder, called Tullinge, but it only opened in 2001.
Thanks. I was just curious as to how large of an area Stockholm spans.....

That was a cold January. But when I think that Stockholm is at 59.2N, I somehow feel it should be much colder in the winter. Especially when compared to Canada at 59N and Russia, or even us where we have seen colder winters and we are at 42N

Old 09-10-2014, 06:01 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
That was a cold January. But when I think that Stockholm is at 59.2N, I somehow feel it should be much colder in the winter. Especially when compared to Canada at 59N and Russia, or even us where we have seen colder winters and we are at 42N
Well, you can't really compare simply by latitude, as we have the Atlantic and the predominant westerlies.
Whitehorse, Yukon is at the same latitude as Turku, and it's much colder every month: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteh...gy_and_climate

To add, Stockholm's location is quite ideal. It's located in the Mälaren estuary in a very sheltered position.
https://goo.gl/maps/EX6W7

Go 50 miles north and the winter climate is already snowier and a bit colder. The university of Uppsala has released their 81-10 normals, probably the only location in Sweden: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uppsala#Climate

To add, the Baltic is at its deepest outside Stockholm, so it won't freeze over as easily as the Gulf of Finland for example. That affects naturally also the winter temperatures.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Thanks. I was just curious as to how large of an area Stockholm spans.....

Chicago has colder winters mostly because it has colder lows on average. Stockholm is a bit colder during the day, and winter lasts longer. Stockholm would be better for prolonged snow cover, and is less prone to mild weather in winter (whereas Chicago can see temps in the teens Celsius, melting the snow quickly).

Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, you can't really compare simply by latitude, as we have the Atlantic and the predominant westerlies.
Whitehorse, Yukon is at the same latitude as Turku, and it's much colder every month: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteh...gy_and_climate

To add, Stockholm's location is quite ideal. It's located in the Mälaren estuary in a very sheltered position.
https://goo.gl/maps/EX6W7

Go 50 miles north and the winter climate is already snowier and a bit colder. The university of Uppsala has released their 81-10 normals, probably the only location in Sweden: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uppsala#Climate

To add, the Baltic is at its deepest outside Stockholm, so it won't freeze over as easily as the Gulf of Finland for example. That affects naturally also the winter temperatures.
Yes, there are many factors other than latitude that influence the climate. Especially Northern/West Europe which the Atlantic has such a huge impact..... It's just that at first sight of 59N I automatically think super cold winters and in my opinion, Stockholm does not have "super cold" winters.

Btw, why on earth hasn't Sweden released the new 30 year normals yet? Are they still checking quality?

Quote:
Chicago has colder winters mostly because it has colder lows on average. Stockholm is a bit colder during the day, and winter lasts longer. Stockholm would be better for prolonged snow cover, and is less prone to mild weather in winter (whereas Chicago can see temps in the teens Celsius, melting the snow quickly).
Given our lower latitude and higher sun angle we do get slightly warmer average maximum temps than Stockholm, and indeed can see temps rise even into the high teens in the dead of January, though that is rare. As for snow cover here is some data

Quote:
The number of days in a winter that snow covers the ground is an important statistic and is often a good indicator of a winter's severity. Snow depth is rounded up to the nearest inch, so to be counted as a day of snow cover there has to be at least 0.5 inches of snow on the ground at the observation site. With the help of climatologist Frank Wachowski, we analyzed annual days of snow cover at Midway Airport since 1928 and found that in a typical Chicago winter, snow covers the ground on 44 days. Over the 75 years of record at Midway, seasonal snow cover ranged from a low of eight days in 1948-49 to a maximum of 100 days in the landmark winter of 1978-79
Dear Tom, On average, how many days per year is... - Chicago Tribune

Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Interesting. Stockholm has >90 days of snow cover for the 1961-1990 period. Lower than that for the 1981-2010 period I suspect, but not by much.

Sweden won't release normals until 2020 apparently - but not for the 1991-2020 period - but for 1981-2010.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Wow 90 days of snow. I assume it's because they see more snow during the autumn and spring. Do you think so?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I would guess so. They even saw 1cm of snow on 1 May this year. But that's very rare.

How common is spring snow in Chicago?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Helshitki and Turdku have on average 100 days with snow lying. Of course with big variations from year to year.

Oh, autumn snow is not very common, and not actually spring either, as it's the driest time of the year. On average the first measurable snow falls around 15 November. I guess it's quite the same in Chicago.

Quote:
Yeah, I would guess so. They even saw 1cm of snow on 1 May this year. But that's very rare.
They did?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Well, that's what the SMHI snow depth maps show - 1cm at Stockholm Observatory. They definitely had snow falling as I saw a video on YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather