Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Reminds me of Physical Education lessons at school, where for some reason we always did the outdoor sports in the coldest months of the year, and somehow always when it was about 5°C and raining, with a keen wind. Shorts were compulsory. I hated PE anyway so used to skive off it most the time.
It seemed like they always had fire drills on the coldest of days too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Last weekend we had a beautiful 55 degree day here in Seattle. I wore jeans, a t-shirt and a very thin hoody with hood down. Very comfortable. Though I imagine people from say Southern Florida would have needed a parka just to keep warm.

Ealier this evening it was about 47 degrees or so and I went outside during a pause in the rain in just thin pajama bottoms and a t-shirt. The cool air felt so good and I'm looking forward to it being even colder as we head more into winter. Can't wait for snow either we're supposed to get a lot this year! I love it when the temperatures fall below freezing and I absolutley love snow!

On the other side I find temperatures over 80 getting uncomfortable unless it is a dry heat. Dry heat I can go much higher than 80 and be fine. A dry 100 is even fine with me. Humidity though? Forget it!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
I go by RealFeel temperature and not the actual temperature.

Anyways, I don't put on a winter coat until the Real Feel gets below 15. Between 15 and 35, I go with a hoody and a light fleece; 35 to 55, I go with a light fleece or a hoody. Warmer than 55 is T-shirt weather.

I think it is funny to watch people from warm weather areas when the weather gets cool (40s and 50s). The way they dress for this weather is overkill and awkward.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Here's a question for you.

Where do people who actually bundle up put their coats and such once they get to work and don't need it anymore? I risk having my coat stolen every time I wear it to work. Like when it gets below 60 degrees.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:21 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Here's a question for you.

Where do people who actually bundle up put their coats and such once they get to work and don't need it anymore? I risk having my coat stolen every time I wear it to work. Like when it gets below 60 degrees.
At least in places I worked, I haven't encountered this problem. If you have a desk job, you can usually put the coat on the back of your chair if you are worried. But mostly people know each other and don't steal. What would you gain from stealing someone else's used coat, if you already have your own? Especially since you can easily get caught?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 AM

Well, you gain another layer of clothes, if it's something that you yourself can wear, and not something you're giving your spouse or teenager. I work in a store--we really don't have a place where we can store BULKY clothing while we work. And, let's say I worked somewhere it snowed, and needed galoshes on over my shoes. Where would I put those? Clutter up some area in the back? If you deal with others at work, your company would probably frown on any sort of clutter in your work area, after all.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
It depends on how sensitive to the cold people are. A light sweatshirt is enough for me at 50 degrees if the wind isn't blowing. A light jacket at 40. An extra layer in the 20s if the wind isn't blowing.

The exception is in foggy weather. We often go through a period of drizzly, foggy, wet, overcast days in December and January with temperatures in the 30s and low 40s, which is only a little chilly, but the fog adds what we call the "bone chill factor." Those little water droplets floating past your body absorb a lot of heat.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Well, you gain another layer of clothes, if it's something that you yourself can wear, and not something you're giving your spouse or teenager. I work in a store--we really don't have a place where we can store BULKY clothing while we work. And, let's say I worked somewhere it snowed, and needed galoshes on over my shoes. Where would I put those? Clutter up some area in the back? If you deal with others at work, your company would probably frown on any sort of clutter in your work area, after all.
Places up north usually have closets. And I'd frown on any company that doesn't provide a space for its employees to put their coats and other belongings. Especially since ALL the employees will have the same problem, not just you.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
And the others at work would have bulky clothes as well.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And the others at work would have bulky clothes as well.
Those who drive would leave them in their cars--or not wear them to begin with. I don't drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather