Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 06:22 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,573,807 times

Advertisements

OK, as I'm board at the moment I thought I'd make a climate for Portsmouth under climate change. I read this article IRIN Global | CLIMATE CHANGE: A three-degree warmer world by 2050? | Global | Early Warning | Economy | Environment | Food Security | Migration | Natural Disasters | Water & Sanitation, and I thought this could be possible, though maybe a little to extreme. However, if the past year is anything to go by, I recon the climate of Portsmouth may look like this by 2050:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Potential Portsmouth climate under climate change.png
Views:	207
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	136754
Portsmouth will have more seasonal rainfall as the jet stream will be more slower to move north and south, leaving winters mild and very wet and summers warm, sunny and dry. Overall, I reckon there may be more sunshine around as winter will have sunnier periods in-between depressions, just like last winter, and summers will have highs dominating. So what do you think? answer any one of these questions you like:
  1. Is this an accurate idea of how the Portsmouth climate will be by 2050?
  2. Any ideas on what you think your city will by like in 2050?
  3. Do you even believe in climate change?
  4. Any other opinions on global warming?
This is just for fun, so please don't be at each-others throats like in previous "just for fun" threads if done!
Thanks

Last edited by Jas182; 09-27-2014 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 07:07 AM

29,449 posts, read 19,540,300 times
If you believe the climate models the UK might see a about a 2C (annual mean)rise in temps by 2080. Here is what the change will be in the summer and winter.

for the US in the summer (business as usual scenario)

For the winter (business as usual scenario)

Again if you believe the climate models (I do NOT) for my city and metro area...

Summer, models say Chicagoland will see a 7-10F mean increase during the summer by 2080

and 5-6F during the winter

Climate Wizard

Now if you believe any of this will actually occur within the next 65 years, I have a bridge to sell you on Michigan Ave

Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I have a bridge to sell you on Michigan Ave
Arr, I am looking to buy a bridge actually... How much will it coast?

LOL

Quote:
If you believe the climate models the UK might see a about a 2C (annual mean)rise in temps by 2080. Here is what the change will be in the summer and winter.

for the US in the summer (business as usual scenario)

For the winter (business as usual scenario)

Again if you believe the climate models (I do NOT) for my city and metro area...

Summer, models say Chicagoland will see a 7-10F mean increase during the summer by 2080

and 5-6F during the winter

Climate Wizard
Thanks though... Personally I do believe in human active climate change, but I don't think it will be as extreme as they say. However, if this info is right, then those figures I used will be right by 2080?..

Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 AM

29,449 posts, read 19,540,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Arr, I am looking to buy a bridge actually... How much will it coast?

LOL
I'll ship it over

Quote:

Thanks though... Personally I do believe in human active climate change,

As do I.....

Quote:

but I don't think it will be as extreme as they say. However, if this info is right, then those figures I used will be right by 2080?..
It is ridiculous to believe that within 65 years, my summers will resemble east Texas, and my winters Washington DC

Old 09-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I'll ship it over
Ahaha

Quote:
It is ridiculous to believe that within 65 years, my summers will resemble east Texas, and my winters Washington DC
Haha... Though we could do with the warmer weather here! LOL
But no, it is a ridiculous idea tbh!

Old 10-04-2014, 03:52 PM

750 posts, read 738,931 times
Wow. I really hope this doesn't happen...

Old 10-04-2014, 04:40 PM

9,970 posts, read 12,350,557 times
I doubt Portsmouth's winters will be that wet.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:27 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,888,345 times
1. I doubt that Portsmouth will have that Mediterranean rainfall pattern in 40 years. It seems too much of a change in short time. Maybe in 4000 years though.
2. Our city will get more drought and at the same time, more extreme rain events by 2050.
3. Yes. There is always a change here and there in the climate. It's pretty much a cycle.
4. I don't get it at times because some parts of the world are getting colder winters on record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather