Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is L.A.'s climate more like Seattle or Honolulu's?
Seattle 13 25.00%
Honolulu 39 75.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:50 PM

855 posts, read 772,154 times

Advertisements

So avg. Jan low in Seattle is only 9 degrees less than LA. Versus an almost 20-degree difference between Honolulu and LA. Hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 04:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Summer is where the big difference is. By plants I mean native vegetation more than ornamental nursery stock. Things like Oregon oak, pacific madrone, manzanita, Douglas fir - some would grow in an Edinburgh garden (probably not manzanita) but they wouldn't grow there naturally. The same plants can, however be found throughout California, including uplands around LA.
Yes, where as the difference between Seattle and L.A is Fall, Winter and Spring.

L.A and Honolulu obviously don't have the same climate, but I would class L.A as a comfortably warm climate throughout the year -with only minor exceptions. That's not a description I would extend to Seattle in Winter/Spring, which felt bleak/grim to me. It's all about the vibe, man.

Seattle bush didn't resemble what small amount of L.A forest I saw.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:48 PM

29,529 posts, read 19,620,154 times

Old 10-26-2014, 05:08 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Actually agree with this. You could make a case for LA being closer to Honolulu than Seattle (though I still think humidity, ocean temps, native vegetation, precipitation patterns, and temperatures all make Honolulu very different from anything on the west coast of the US).

But Miami is something completely different.
Is LA more like Oslo or Miami?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
That is not for coastal LA though, and the thread is about the coast.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:55 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Ha! I have spent a LOT of time in LA and know exactly what it's like. The summer lows of 65 are similar to Honolulu's average winter lows (a bit cooler actually than Honolulu's January lows). The hot inland temperatures are NOT humid. Sorry. I've spent a lot of time in LA and now live in the northeast. LA rarely gets uncomfortably humid - just look at the charts Chicagogeorge posted.
L.A. does get humid spells in August and September but they are usually very short lived; a couple of days and it's back to low dew points. This past summer, we had a very active monsoon season and got longer spells of humidity and even a few summer scattered showers

But most of the time, our summers are more Seattle like than Honolulu like due to the cool nights. I personally like the humid weather on occasion just for the beach or to stand outside in shorts with a beer late at night. But the majority of the time, it's a blessing to have nights that are cool enough to open the window rather than blast the AC to get a good night's sleep.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:15 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
But most of the time, our summers are more Seattle like than Honolulu like due to the cool nights. I personally like the humid weather on occasion just for the beach or to stand outside in shorts with a beer late at night. But the majority of the time, it's a blessing to have nights that are cool enough to open the window rather than blast the AC to get a good night's sleep.
Not really, highs on average from 75-85 and lows from 65-70 at the coast seems closer to honolulu than to Seattle, in Seattle low in the 50s eliminate the warm nights. Coastal locations like Newport and Costa Mesa see summers with lows around 70 ( although averages don't reflect that) ( not just this one ) and no AC is needed it's perfectly fine. My house too, we see summer lows around 70 and I don't leave the AC on and I sleep perfectly, as most people do. In Honolulu nights are warmer and feel warmer because that is when humidity peaks. Here summer nights at 70 feel perfect, slightly warm and nice. Again no AC needed, in Honolulu the humidity would make more people leave it on at night

Old 10-26-2014, 08:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Not really, highs on average from 75-85 and lows from 65-70 at the coast seems closer to honolulu than to Seattle, in Seattle low in the 50s eliminate the warm nights. Coastal locations like Newport and Costa Mesa see summers with lows around 70 ( although averages don't reflect that) ( not just this one ) and no AC is needed it's perfectly fine. My house too, we see summer lows around 70 and I don't leave the AC on and I sleep perfectly, as most people do. In Honolulu nights are warmer and feel warmer because that is when humidity peaks. Here summer nights at 70 feel perfect, slightly warm and nice. Again no AC needed, in Honolulu the humidity would make more people leave it on at night
What stations near coast have lows around 70°F?! A large minority of Honolulu residents don't have A/C so they wouldn't turn it on.

CoolingTips | One Island Hawaii

Air conditioning is among the biggest users of electricity in homes that have it. Over 55 percent of Oahu homes now have air conditioning, from a single window unit to central air, up from 22 percent just 25 years ago.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What stations near coast have lows around 70°F?! A large minority of Honolulu residents don't have A/C so they wouldn't turn it on.

CoolingTips | One Island Hawaii

Air conditioning is among the biggest users of electricity in homes that have it. Over 55 percent of Oahu homes now have air conditioning, from a single window unit to central air, up from 22 percent just 25 years ago.
This past summer we've had way more lows in the 70s than average from the monsoon influence but the average July low is in the low to mid 60s throughout the L.A. basin, even those inland empire spots that exceed 100 on a regular basis.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Not low 60s, it's mid 60s and up expressed by the average. But this isn't the first summer we see that we see them a lot these past 3 summers we saw them, plus many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather