Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:58 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
You can't even find one in the south coast either, I don't even think San Francisco has seen that.
I said that I believe the 38 F in Laguna Niguel. San Francisco has the coldest summer days of the Bay Area but not the coldest nights. Livermore, with its hot summers, in the East Bay has also recorded nights in the mid 30s all 3 summer months. Livermore, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cooler summer nights than most of the East Coast are part of our Mediterranean climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:50 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I challenge you to find one city on the Atlantic seaboard that has recorded a July low in the 30s. We win that one.
If you include September as a summer month then more than half of the east coast has seen 30s

Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
If you include September as a summer month then more than half of the east coast has seen 30s
I'm only including July and August; June has too much spring influence. September, in most parts of the country is fall. Only here near the California coastline, September is actually warmer than July for the most part.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:43 PM

855 posts, read 771,955 times
Quote:
Again 8 degree difference still makes it extremely rare.

LA is more similar to tropical climates than to seattle, based on temps. Based on rainfall you have to be comparing specific locations because if you chose the wettest tropical climate out there then obviously la would be closer to Seattle based of rainfall. Based on sunshine, it's pretty obvious, I don't even need to explain myself. Vegetation isn't comparable because you can't find evergreen pine forest you see in Seattle in LA nor do you find amazonesque jungles either, but I'm pretty sure there are tropical climates that have vegetation similar to LA's shrubland scattered with fan palms.
You can actually find some of the same species growing in SoCal as in the PNW. Douglas fir, for example, grows in the hills around Santa Barbara in some locations. Pacific madrone is found as far south as San Diego County. Manzanitas are obviously found throughout California, including SoCal. Oregon white oak is also found in the mountains of SoCal.

My point is that the pre-European native vegetation of Los Angeles had way more in common with Seattle/Portland than with Honolulu.

Based on temperatures, LA is quantifiably closer to Seattle than Honolulu. I think that has been shown in other threads. Again: the difference between LA's January lows and Seattle's January lows is only 9 degrees F. That compares with a more than 20 degree difference between LA and Honolulu. The average temperature in LA is also closer to the average temperature in Seattle than in Honolulu.

And again: LA's average summer lows are colder than Honolulu's average winter lows. LA's average winter lows are colder than Honolulu's record, all-time lows. The reverse obviously can't be said about LA vs. Seattle.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
You can actually find some of the same species growing in SoCal as in the PNW. Douglas fir, for example, grows in the hills around Santa Barbara in some locations. Pacific madrone is found as far south as San Diego County. Manzanitas are obviously found throughout California, including SoCal. Oregon white oak is also found in the mountains of SoCal.

My point is that the pre-European native vegetation of Los Angeles had way more in common with Seattle/Portland than with Honolulu.

Based on temperatures, LA is quantifiably closer to Seattle than Honolulu. I think that has been shown in other threads. Again: the difference between LA's January lows and Seattle's January lows is only 9 degrees F. That compares with a more than 20 degree difference between LA and Honolulu. The average temperature in LA is also closer to the average temperature in Seattle than in Honolulu.

And again: LA's average summer lows are colder than Honolulu's average winter lows. LA's average winter lows are colder than Honolulu's record, all-time lows. The reverse obviously can't be said about LA vs. Seattle.
santa barbara is not even in the LA Area.

based on temps i showed you LA is closer to Honolulu than to Seattle ( im not using the coolest station LAX, nor the hottest valley stations)

Climatology Comparison for Los Angeles, CA (90040) - weather.com

Climatology Comparison for Los Angeles, CA (90040) - weather.com

LA is warmer than seattle by 19 F in the day, and 10 F at night, compared to honolulu which is 5 F warmer in theday, and 14 F at night, do you want me to explain this with apples and oranges?

Again LA basin summer lows are warmer than Honolulu's winter lows, but that doesnt matter as the above should eliminate your doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather