Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:49 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
I cant speak for Laguna Niguel, but where I lived in the IE, I remember running heat in July 2000. And a few cold July evenings as late as 2010. It does happen. 30 does seem a bit much though.
Yep: even if rare, low 40s at night have happened in summer in the inland areas; something you'd never even see in a place like Washington D.C. We have the potential for cool nights at any time of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Yep: even if rare, low 40s at night have happened in summer in the inland areas; something you'd never even see in a place like Washington D.C. We have the potential for cool nights at any time of the year.
you can see nights in the 40s in any summer month here though not every July.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The record low for that date at John Wayne Airport 21 miles away is 62 degrees, and for downtown LA (City Hall) is 54 degrees, so those numbers are way off.
TommyFL showed that date record "missing data" from the official record, so the 30°F isn't believable. The 38°F is still there, though.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
TommyFL showed that date record "missing data" from the official record, so the 30°F isn't believable. The 38°F is still there, though.
I challenge you to find one city on the Atlantic seaboard that has recorded a July low in the 30s. We win that one.

Sorry, L.A-Mex; if you can cherry pick the hottest January day in the warmest winter on record to pimp L.A's climate as having hot winters. I can also cherry pick the coldest July lows to discuss our climate having cold summer nights.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
I challenge you to find one city on the Atlantic seaboard that has recorded a July low in the 30s. We win that one.

Sorry, L.A-Mex; if you can cherry pick the hottest January day in the warmest winter on record to pimp L.A's climate as having hot winters. I can also cherry pick the coldest July lows to discuss our climate having cold summer nights.
They are obviously erroneous, you just have an infactuation with trying to show that LA and SoCal is as cold as Seattle. But guess what you have no data to prove that, that is all lies, it's pretty funny you actually believe that as the record lows in summer months in the LA basin are in the 50s. Now in the coast, please, 30s in winter is rare, now you trying to convince us that it happens on summer is quite comical. Also take into account that beaches like Santa Monica has never seen a below freezing low.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
done.

BAR HARBOR 3 NW, MAINE - Climate Summary

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?me2426

Old 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
They are obviously erroneous, you just have an infactuation with trying to show that LA and SoCal is as cold as Seattle. But guess what you have no data to prove that, that is all lies, it's pretty funny you actually believe that as the record lows in summer months in the LA basin are in the 50s. Now in the coast, please, 30s in winter is rare, now you trying to convince us that it happens on summer is quite comical. Also take into account that beaches like Santa Monica has never seen a below freezing low.
Yes; I'll admit 30s are rare on the coast, even in winter. However, Laguna Niguel is a microclimate with cooler nights than most parts of the L.A. basin due both elevation and canyons. I found the 30 F very difficult to believe but 38 F is possible, even though it's colder than our average winter lows.

Unlike continental climates, we do have a lot of overlapping temperatures between seasons and the ability to get some winter days warmer than some summer days. I admit parts of the L.A. basin have gotten highs over 90 in January even though it might be well over their average July high (LAX for instance). Likewise, we can also get summer nights that are colder than our average winter nights.

I never said L.A. is as cold as Seattle. I just say L.A. is more similar to Seattle than any tropical climate due to the ocean influence and the California current.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 10-26-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 PM

But you did have to go all the way north to Maine to find one. I'm pretty sure there are none south of Boston, let alone one at the same latitude as Laguna Beach on the East Coast. I respect your expertise on weather so if you do find one, let me know .

Please don't delete threads where L.A-Mex and I argue about Southern California's climate unless it gets way off topic or results in personal insults. Debate is good; insults and name-calling is bad.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Yes; I'll admit 30s are are on the coast, even in winter. However, Laguna Niguel is a microclimate with cooler nights than most parts of the L.A. basin due both elevation and canyons. I found the 30 F very difficult to believe but 38 F is possible, even though it's colder than our average winter lows.

Unlike continental climates, we do have a lot of overlapping temperatures between seasons and the ability to get some winter days warmer than some summer days. I admit parts of the L.A. basin have gotten highs over 90 in January even though it might be well over their average July high (LAX for instance). Likewise, we can also get summer nights that are colder than our average winter nights.

I never said L.A. is as cold as Seattle. I just say L.A. is more similar to Seattle than any tropical climate due to the ocean influence and the California current.
Again 8 degree difference still makes it extremely rare.

LA is more similar to tropical climates than to seattle, based on temps. Based on rainfall you have to be comparing specific locations because if you chose the wettest tropical climate out there then obviously la would be closer to Seattle based of rainfall. Based on sunshine, it's pretty obvious, I don't even need to explain myself. Vegetation isn't comparable because you can't find evergreen pine forest you see in Seattle in LA nor do you find amazonesque jungles either, but I'm pretty sure there are tropical climates that have vegetation similar to LA's shrubland scattered with fan palms.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
But you did have to go all the way north to Maine to find one. I'm pretty sure there are none south of Boston, let alone one at the same latitude as Laguna Beach on the East Coast. I respect your expertise on weather so if you do find one, let me know .
You can't even find one in the south coast either, I don't even think San Francisco has seen that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather