Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your experience with bith dry and humid heat, what do you prefer?
Humid 18 34.62%
Dry 34 65.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,859,328 times

Advertisements

Well, when we got that cool frost this past week, the humidity and dew points were lower here in FL than in Phoenix.

I took a snapchat of the weather in Sebring on my phone last week and it was 83 degrees with a humidity of 26% and a dew point of 45 degrees. The "feel like" was 81. In Phoenix it was 86, the humidity was 45% and the dew point was about 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,198,926 times
90 & humid in the deep south (which BTW can be hotter than florida in summer with similar humidity levels) isn't similar to 115 F in Las Vegas. I'd much rather prefer the former. Also, cold sweet tea is more prevalent.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 AM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbyzero0 View Post
I just read this thread : It IS a dry heat!!!, a Miami resident that feels more comfortable in Phoenix, even though its over 20 degrees hotter in summer, because if the low humidity.

I think my friend feels the same like 6 month ago, when going to Mecca in April, temps was about 36 degrees celcius in MORNING, but he said that it was COOLER than Pekanbaru (25-27c in morning) because of the dry.

Anything else had experienced the "dry heat feels much cooler"? Interesting experiences are open.
Here is my perspective. I am athletic, so I am active year round.
In south FL it can be brutal between June-August humidity wise for anyone not use to it. You can just set outside, and within a couple of minutes you are sweating even though you are just standing. Yet when I travel to NV, AZ, or parts of southern CA like Palm Springs, I feel like I am in an oven with the dry heat during the summer. While I might not be sweating, you feel the heat beating down on you from the sun like a heating element. Also, in FL, you never pull your hand back from a car door handle because it is so hot like you do in AZ.

The other big difference is your need to quench your thirst in the dry heat. For instance I can be outside in FL much of the day and not need to drink that often because my mouth/throat is moist. However, when hiking in Sedona, AZ I felt like I needed a sip of water every few minutes. Not to hydrate as much as just to get rid of the dry feeling in my throat.

I prefer the FL heat as a result. I will also note that places along the coast like Miami get less humid than places in the middle of the state like Orlando because of the breeze. All along the FL coast from the Keys to Amelia Island have the wonderful ocean breeze which makes itself inland for many miles. Places in the middle of the state feel like stagnant humidity with no relief.

`

Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,447,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I prefer the FL heat as a result. I will also note that places along the coast like Miami get less humid than places in the middle of the state like Orlando because of the breeze. All along the FL coast from the Keys to Amelia Island have the wonderful ocean breeze which makes itself inland for many miles. Places in the middle of the state feel like stagnant humidity with no relief.
What does a breeze have to do with humidity? It just circulates the air more.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:06 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,172 times
Miami and Phoenix are the two most brutal hot weather climates in the country. Pick your poison cause long term either will wear most people out to where they become prisoners to the AC..

Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM

16,536 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
What does a breeze have to do with humidity? It just circulates the air more.
Think about your question this way. When you are warm, do you feel better in front of a fan or in a room with no circulation?
The fan does not lower the temperature nor the humidity, but it certainly feels cooler. There is an explanation as to why, but for the sake of discussion, common sense tells you a breeze is better than no breeze.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Quote:
Here is my perspective. I am athletic, so I am active year round.
In south FL it can be brutal between June-August humidity wise for anyone not use to it. You can just set outside, and within a couple of minutes you are sweating even though you are just standing. Yet when I travel to NV, AZ, or parts of southern CA like Palm Springs, I feel like I am in an oven with the dry heat during the summer. While I might not be sweating, you feel the heat beating down on you from the sun like a heating element. Also, in FL, you never pull your hand back from a car door handle because it is so hot like you do in AZ.

The other big difference is your need to quench your thirst in the dry heat. For instance I can be outside in FL much of the day and not need to drink that often because my mouth/throat is moist. However, when hiking in Sedona, AZ I felt like I needed a sip of water every few minutes. Not to hydrate as much as just to get rid of the dry feeling in my throat.

`
That's pretty much how I felt, I did like working in Arizona a little better because my clothes weren't sticking to me all day, and while doing construction I did get relief where shade was available compared to working in a high humidity area.

Although I never got used to going outside for 5 minutes and feeling like my arms were going to burn off, lets put it this way, if my arms suddenly caught on fire, I wouldn't have been surprised.

I do like the southwest for old cars though, its amazing how great a 40 year old car looks in Arizona, vs the east coast, where its usually a rust bucket.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:00 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,731 times
I spent the first quarter of my life living in Michigan, near the lakes. It could get plenty humid enough in the summer, I'd be in a t-shirt/shorts above 65, and generally I was absolutely miserable once the temps got above 80F including getting physically ill on several occasions (losing my lunch, etc) due to the heat/humidity. I'd step outside and instantly start sweating bullets...just never felt like I could cool off enough. Stepping out of a dry, air conditioned space into a hot humid outside was hell. Combined with my wicked, nerd like allergies, I HATED summertime in Michigan.

Moved to Phoenix at the end of May one year..the first few nights it was still in the 80s after the sun went down, and I found myself chilly to the point that I went back inside to get a sweater. Now, after being here for nearly a decade, I don't even own shorts anymore outside of swim wear. I wear jeans 10 months out of the year, only switching into a lighter safari style pant during the humid parts of monsoon. I also don't feel the need to stay inside all summer long either. I can routinely be found with my toys out in the desert, or wandering through junkyards in 115 degree weather.

I still PREFER cooler weather (I'd be a happy camper if the summer time high never exceeded 70 degrees ), but I find even 115 degrees on a dry day to be very tolerable even for hours at a time.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:04 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,447,548 times
Quote:
Think about your question this way. When you are warm, do you feel better in front of a fan or in a room with no circulation?
The fan does not lower the temperature nor the humidity, but it certainly feels cooler. There is an explanation as to why, but for the sake of discussion, common sense tells you a breeze is better than no breeze.
Your statement was "places along the coast get less humid than places in the middle of the state because of the breeze", that is false.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:10 PM

249 posts, read 331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Moved to Phoenix at the end of May one year..the first few nights it was still in the 80s after the sun went down, and I found myself chilly to the point that I went back inside to get a sweater. Now, after being here for nearly a decade, I don't even own shorts anymore outside of swim wear. I wear jeans 10 months out of the year, only switching into a lighter safari style pant during the humid parts of monsoon. I also don't feel the need to stay inside all summer long either. I can routinely be found with my toys out in the desert, or wandering through junkyards in 115 degree weather.

I still PREFER cooler weather (I'd be a happy camper if the summer time high never exceeded 70 degrees ), but I find even 115 degrees on a dry day to be very tolerable even for hours at a time.
Finally! Someone that completely feels the same way I do! When ever I tell people this they look at me like WTF?! Are you nuts?! Ok, never mind. You don't get it. It's ok. LOL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather