Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a climate more like Atlanta?
Miami 48 80.00%
Montreal 12 20.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Miami winter is practically spring weather in Atlanta. Winters in ATL are colder than most people expect. Sure, we don't get the brutal snow/ice that the NE or Midwest gets hammered with, but no one is out in their shorts and t-shirts in January.
Two cities can have winter seasons and be nothing like each other in climate. London gets a winter season but it's nothing like Moscow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM

827 posts, read 865,867 times
Atlanta has four seasons and snow. Montreal has four seasons and snow. Miami doesn't have four seasons and doesn't have snow. So Atlanta is more like Montreal.

Miami is warmer than Atlanta. Montreal is very ****ing colder than Atlanta. So Atlanta is more like Miami.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:16 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
In my classifications, Miami is a borderline tropical climate, right on the very boundary between tropical and subtropical though. Atlanta is warm temperate, and Montreal is continental. Atlanta has winters still too cold to be called subtropical for my liking. Its winters are halfway between Miami and Montreal, and its summers are slightly closer to Miami than Montreal, but not by much..
Winters too cold to be subtropical to your liking. You realize that's why the term is called SUB tropical, right?

What the is halfway between 89 inches and 0? Not 7 inches, which is ATL's snowfall average per year (aka only 7 inches away from Miami's lack of snow, and 82 inches away from Montreal's snowfall.

What the is halfway between 80 and 91 for summer highs? Not 89, which is ATL's average summer high (aka two degrees cooler than Miami, not 11).

Old 11-05-2014, 07:22 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Atlanta is in a class all by itself. :-)

Four distinct seasons. Beautiful springs and autumns. Hot and muggy summers. Cool winters, with a few cold snaps to make you appreciate the warmer days, and a little bit of snow or ice to make you remember what you devoutly do NOT miss about living in the Midwest or the North!

But I've lived in Miami, and was delighted to move to Atlanta. Love the seasons. Got to truly hate palm trees in my six years in South Florida. Laughed at tourists who would go swimming in 65 degree weather. :-)

Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Winters too cold to be subtropical to your liking. You realize that's why the term is called SUB tropical, right?

What the is halfway between 89 inches and 0? Not 7 inches, which is ATL's snowfall average per year (aka only 7 inches away from Miami's lack of snow, and 82 inches away from Montreal's snowfall.

What the is halfway between 80 and 91 for summer highs? Not 89, which is ATL's average summer high (aka two degrees cooler than Miami, not 11).

You tell me if Atlanta's cold winters feel subtropical.. for a climate to be subtropical it has to have tropical like conditions for at least 6 months, with the remaining 6 months being mild/warm. Atlanta is cold, almost freezing in winter, snowfall is not an indication, the many frosts are though. Also Miami has lows nearer to 80F in summer compared to 73F in Atlanta.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:23 PM

29,528 posts, read 19,620,154 times
^^

It's winters can see frequent cool snaps that is true. Irregardless, Atlanta is closer to Miami than it is to Chicago, and on a completely different field from Montreal. Right?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
Yes I agree that Atlanta is closer to Miami, Montreal winters are on another level and seem pretty brutal! But Atlanta for me just seems for like a temperate climate than a subtropical or continental

Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
You tell me if Atlanta's cold winters feel subtropical.. for a climate to be subtropical it has to have tropical like conditions for at least 6 months, with the remaining 6 months being mild/warm. Atlanta is cold, almost freezing in winter, snowfall is not an indication, the many frosts are though. Also Miami has lows nearer to 80F in summer compared to 73F in Atlanta.
Atlanta winters are comparable to winters in Eugene, Oregon - a city that is nearly 10 degrees further north!

Old 11-06-2014, 02:24 AM

28 posts, read 26,352 times
For the most part we get all four seasons. Recently our winters have been extreme. I have been in Ga all my life and the past 5 years or so the winters have gotten pretty chilly compared to what they used to be. Especially last winter

Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Then why was NJ warmer than Atlanta this weekend. We saw flurries here after 65 F highs, FYI . Reason was thanks to the ULL sinking into Western North Carolina.
C'mon. Whoop-di-do for this weekend. Does Atlanta have a CLIMATE like NJ? NO. We'd have a longer peach season and a lower snow budget.

Atlanta's climate is not really like either Miami or Montreal, but it's closer to Miami's.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-06-2014 at 05:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather