Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 10:18 PM

5,692 posts, read 3,475,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not sure what your point is, or why Christchurch keeps getting a mention. Beyond the tree months of summer, differences between the UK and NZ soon become obvious. My climate shares similar temps and sunshine to Rome, for half the year, but I don't regard Rome and Motueka as similar, just as I don't regard Ipswich and Motueka as similar, just because three months are close for temperatures

Not sure why Australia entered the conversation. I've had 7 summers in Australia, and aren't really a fan overall - either too hot, or too dry. Coastal NSW south of around Sydney, is pretty nice though. For me, it's Australian winters that are standout.
The difference between UK and NZ is much less than the difference between NZ and Rome. The implication of your statement above is that Motueka occupies some kind of middle ground between Ipswich and Rome. That's rather disingenuous: the truth is Ispwich and Motueka are in the same climatic neighbourhood whereas Rome is in a completely different country.

Motueka vs Rome: similar for coolest 6 months but for the warmest six months Rome is far, far warmer. That puts them in completely different conversations.

Motueka vs Ipswich: Motueka warmer and sunnier in winter, but still in the same ballpark. The rest of the year it's a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 04:38 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,910,348 times
NZ has a decent enough climate, so I don't see why he feels the need to make far-fetched claims about it all the time.

Last edited by Razza94; 06-10-2017 at 05:26 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 06:14 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,365,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
NYC's stereotype makes it seem like it has the climate of Schefferville, Quebec.
the NYC stereotype to a lot of people in England is actually SNOW

that's probably as ridiculous a stereotype as it gets in world climate .

I blame 70s cop shows - Cagney and Lacey for one

I have used up many man hours correcting folk,and telling them that NYC gets pretty damn hot for much of the year

Old 06-10-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
NZ has a decent enough climate, so I don't see why he feels the need to make far-fetched claims about it all the time.

This was my thinking exactly Razza - for what it's worth NZ has a very respectable climate much to my liking - from bottom to top , very much along the lines of S or SW/England / Western France and NW Spain .... mostly Bs or C+ marks

I think he believes NZ has some kind of LA equivalent hidden away

He may well become the new Junter , trying to find a suitable location to grow a coconut tree

Old 06-10-2017, 06:37 AM

1,363 posts, read 788,906 times
My area has a reputation for heat and sunshine, so maybe January.

Back in Melbourne it would be May or June.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:39 AM

Melbourne is another place that has an unfair reputation - folk here thinks it rains 24/7 (older folk at least ) , like an Australian version of Seattle (another unfair one)

Old 06-10-2017, 09:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
This was my thinking exactly Razza - for what it's worth NZ has a very respectable climate much to my liking - from bottom to top , very much along the lines of S or SW/England / Western France and NW Spain .... mostly Bs or C+ marks

I think he believes NZ has some kind of LA equivalent hidden away

He may well become the new Junter , trying to find a suitable location to grow a coconut tree
Joe places huge emphasis on winter fruits and growing things in winter. He tends to rank climates soley on that Imo. If you can't pull an orange off your backyard tree he considers your climate some sort of failure. He has no interest in knowing how much our summer heat allows us to grow a huge variety of delicious fruits and vegetable. His typically response is we grow all that and more. There is a pattern of him always trying to one up NZ on everywhere else.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:00 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
January as the whole of Western Europe believes we are ice bound from Dec to March.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Joe places huge emphasis on winter fruits and growing things in winter. He tends to rank climates soley on that Imo. If you can't pull an orange off your backyard tree he considers your climate some sort of failure. He has no interest in knowing how much our summer heat allows us to grow a huge variety of delicious fruits and vegetable. His typically response is we grow all that and more. There is a pattern of him always trying to one up NZ on everywhere else.

He's one funny guy . I bet he's tried to grow oranges ha

Old 06-10-2017, 11:41 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,910,348 times
Joe's a nice guy with a very relaxed temperament. But whenever NZ's climate is the topic of discussion he has a tendency to be awfully silly!

Apparently Brits think that Dunedin is "unbelievably hot". I'd love to know what he's growing in that garden of his, some fine quality wacky back by the sounds of it. He gives it to tourists and then asks their opinions of NZ's climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather