Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 01:05 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I take no offence, I just find the claims interesting. After another look, I don't see how Dunedin's summers would even feel longer. It doesn't really start to look warmer in comparison until the winter months. NZ's summers would feel longer in general, but not at that location.
I think I said something similar to this chap as well, but he wasn't interested in climate

Quote:
Generally more reliable rainfall and sunshine pattern than the UK in general. There may also be differences in the soil quality, but I'm admittedly not up to speed in that subject. In fact you'd probably grow them in a pot?
Rainfall is variable here as well, and dry conditions would be similar or worse than the UK. Weed isn't fussy on soil. Even Southland turns out a decent bud, and there isn't known for sunshine and warmth.

No pots for pot here, just in the ground as Mother Nature intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 01:08 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,499,672 times
I have no idea what the sterotype is for Germany. Probably December as it's cold, dark, gloomy and occasionally snowy. Or August, warm sunny beer garden weather.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I thought it was just one guy from Norwich?
That was probably the most extreme example, and was only wheeled out because Dunedin ended up in the conversation.

Brits consistently say summers here seem better, whether they're from the north of Scotland, or the south of England.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,365,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's funny, considering NYC is warmer than all of England.

I hate it, and it's partially our fault (as a whole), I think most NYers don't realize how mild our winters are compared to 90% of the Northern U.S..

But I have to admit that I enjoy seeing southerners and people from the Caribbean sweat their asses off in the summer, because I'm sure most of them thought we had the same climate as Alaska at one point.
Not really in some respects when you consider the only time NYC gets weather mentions on the BBC is for heavily piled up snow .

They won't report 28c and sun in NYC because that's not newsworthy ,and as most of England doesn't really get snow - for a lot of English folk it grabs the attention , sticks in the mind .
I often wonder why they bothered to report it -but then looked at the data and realised NYC was MUCH milder than first thought

I used to be told as a kid that the East Coast had horrendously cold winters lol - i thought it was all sea ice along that coast once upon a timee

Old 06-10-2017, 01:15 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,909,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That was probably the most extreme example, and was only wheeled out because Dunedin ended up in the conversation.

Brits consistently say summers here seem better, whether they're from the north of Scotland, or the south of England.
Even when comparing places with near identical stats

Old 06-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Even when comparing places with near identical stats
I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:29 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,909,747 times
Quote:
I may ask the same about your anecdotes, why do you use them so frequently whenever similar summer climates in NZ and the UK are compared? The way you apply them seems to be an attempt to try to suggest that a NZ's summers are hotter than they actually are.

I may be wrong, but you always seem to be engaging in subtle one-upmanship when comparing NZ's climate to other locations.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Bear in mind one thing Joseph !

when you speak to Brits over there they are outdoors enjoying your fine scenery ...as i would. !!! and in good weather these folk can feel the heat of the sun .

Here they have a tendency to lock themselves away in offices and dark rooms with curtains drawn . They only feel the sun at 8am or 6 pm .

Some are actually SCARED of the sun . It could KILL them !!

I've been to the beach on hot days near here - yes 26c is hot at a coastal location ...and it was empty !!!!

So when a UK tourist gets some sun on his skin on a warm day in NZ , he will feel ermm.... warm i guess ..... quelle surprise.

The 'too warm to cool down' tickled me the most though that was comedy gold

Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 PM

5,691 posts, read 3,473,877 times
Quote:
There is no middle ground between climates - there are just climates.
Motueka resembles Rome very closely for six months of the year, and Ipswich for three months of the year. Sunshine is the same as Rome, and Rome's rain day totals , can be found in the area. Annual maximum for Rome, is 2C more than here, while Motueka's average maximum is nearly 3.7C greater than Ipswich.
Not sure where your numbers are from? Here are the Wikipedia numbers for annual max temp:

Rome: 20.4°C
Nelson (aka Motueka): 17.4°C (3.0°C below Rome)
Ipswich: 14.7°C (2.7°C below Nelson)

However, as you've said, the difference between Motueka and Rome is almost entirely due to Rome being much hotter in summer. This difference is important because it renders the "feel" of Rome much different from the other two. All three places are have variations of cool in winter but only one has a hot summer.

Quote:
I think your post illustrates a problem with classifications -I think they're useful as a tool for describing overall patterns, and and outcomes, but many fail to see that classification, isn't climate. I share a climate classification with Ipswich, but not a climate - three months, are roughly the same, but six months are also roughly the same as Rome. You might view climate as an absolute, but I just don't see it that way. Climates are what they are -my climate is oceanic, but it isn't Ipswich, by a long mile. My climate is similar to Rome, for half the year, but it isn't Mediterranean by a long mile either.
We've been down this road before. I can't really improve upon what nei said here:

Are Classifications Useful?

Old 06-10-2017, 01:41 PM

NZ temp no warmer anywhere else like for like . No scientific reason for it to feel warmer - I don't think the higher UV would make a difference to how warm it felt . Sounds like nonsense .

If it were true then it would be the same in Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather