Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,198,257 times

Advertisements

Yea but in England the schools in the south seem to close like every time it snows.

In 14 years of school my school only close at one time when we had a foot of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 06:30 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,511,801 times
I remember on 1 December 2010, when it snowed very heavily in the afternoon, kids were sent home early from school, and people left work early because the buses stopped, but they were back at school the following day. I remember seeing lots of little kids wrapped up heavily in bulky clothing on the morning of 3 December, when the temperature at Church Fenton fell to -17C. Very cold.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:14 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,359,138 times
I saw that satellite photo when your entire "big island" was covered in ice recently.
I could be worse!!

We're due to be -20 and lower this coming weekend. We're ready.
We also have a plan. It involves California by February.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:00 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,573,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
We are NOT getting a coldsnap just slipping into average December temperatures...WTF...
6C is 4 degrees below average for end of November! And probably be 6 degrees colder than av in Waterlooville... It's cold, and it's the coldest weather we've had in ages! (I may have overreacted with the cold snap bit, but it will still be horrid!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I got home drunk and decided to go on C-D for some reason haha
Haha, oh dear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Last year was a very mild winter so even though snow is rare in Portsmouth, I wouldn't call 6C a cold snap really
But it's still cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
When I lived in Southampton it snowed once in 4 years.
That's probably about the same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I really can't get it when I read the papers and schools close in England with an inch of snow. Schools there seem to close alot and we get more snow and my school only closed once.
Out of all my school life, school was only closed once due to snow. Partly because it was rare, but also because my schools where stricter than others, if it snowed then you still had to come in! It took the January 2010 snow storm for a snow day! Ow and back in 2013, on my 18th birthday (18th of January), there was a snowstorm as well, which meant I had a snow day form college - spent the morning through to 1am in a pub! (Ideal! that's when cold is good!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I remember on 1 December 2010, when it snowed very heavily in the afternoon, kids were sent home early from school, and people left work early because the buses stopped, but they were back at school the following day. I remember seeing lots of little kids wrapped up heavily in bulky clothing on the morning of 3 December, when the temperature at Church Fenton fell to -17C. Very cold.
"Very cold"?

Old 11-27-2014, 08:03 AM

lol that is such a funny name waterlooville. Yes December 2010 was when my school closed.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,573,420 times
Quote:
lol that is such a funny name waterlooville. Yes December 2010 was when my school closed.
Waterloo = battle of Waterloo
Ville = French for town

It's named that because it's where the troops camped at after the Battle of Waterloo... Or so were told...

Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 AM

13,457 posts, read 8,995,769 times
Quote:
Not half as funny as some of the names of places in N.I....

And Waterlooville gets its name as it was the place from where the Duke of Wellington set off for the battle of Waterloo, (or returned there after the battle & stayed for a few nights, both stories get told), the two main pubs in the town named after this 'The Duke of Wellington' & 'The Heroes'

Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Waterloo = battle of Waterloo
Ville = French for town

It's named that because it's where the troops camped at after the Battle of Waterloo... Or so were told...
ok

Old 11-27-2014, 08:51 AM

29,446 posts, read 19,537,770 times
Map on December 3rd, the UK might be colder than averages, but parts of eastern and northern Europe might see brutal cold

^^

That's close to a PV split.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:53 AM

a thats above average...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather