Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 10:52 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

I need to post winter pics, it just doesn't look interesting around here, nothing has caught my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What would change in -5C? If there's no snow and it's sunny, that is what the landscape looks like.

To make you even more mad, here at 60N the high this January has been 36F.
Here at 40N the average high has been 37F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Cool throwback photo from the Tampa Tribune facebook page.

"About 175 traffic accidents sent nearly 60 people to hospitals, some schools had to close, and one person died when he stopped to help a stranded driver, slipped and fell off an overpass."

Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 PM

341 posts, read 341,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well please post a pic of your area when you are having the -5C January, cause there ain't no way with an avg Jan high of 33F, you are going to get winter after winter with a high of 5C. Just ain't gonna happen.
Why? And what are you trying to prove?

Quote:
Sooner or later your region will get a very cold winter to make up for all this warmth you have been getting.
That is basically what I said...

Old 01-21-2015, 10:23 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
Why? And what are you trying to prove?

That is basically what I said...

Cause I want to see what your area looks like when it is not having these crazy warm winters, and looks more like what it should given your average high temp of barely above freezing in January.

As far as your grass being so green, I'm sure it is the most cold tolerant of cool season grasses. Your avg summer temps are much cooler than here, so that grass you have wouldn't stand a chance here. It is too warm here and sunny in summer, with a much stronger sun given your latitude of about 52N. Your sunshine hours are very low as well, even in summer given the longer days.

Your Dec, Jan, and Feb monthly mean temps average below freezing, while here they do not. Any warm season grass in your area would look like brown hay all winter with those temps.

And just take a look at what our temps have been like for a year, vs the extreme warmth you have experienced. A yearly anomaly like that is pretty impressive, and it just can't keep going on like this year after year. Maybe next year I'll get to see Lodz with Jan temps -5F below average. I'd love to see it.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
Quote:
11 degrees Celsius, no snow and sun? This happens very rarely in January in ŁÃ³dź.
Wow, that's our all time record high for January. And while temps over 10C are not that rare in December here (they happen every couple of years), they're an exceptional event in January. Winters in Kharkiv are colder than in ŁÃ³dź, but not by much.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:51 AM

341 posts, read 341,168 times
Quote:
Cause I want to see what your area looks like when it is not having these crazy warm winters, and looks more like what it should given your average high temp of barely above freezing in January.
Our avg for January is frost at night and temps above freezing during the day, so when that happens of course It's more greyish. It's normal...

Quote:
As far as your grass being so green, I'm sure it is the most cold tolerant of cool season grasses. Your avg summer temps are much cooler than here, so that grass you have wouldn't stand a chance here. It is too warm here and sunny in summer, with a much stronger sun given your latitude of about 52N. Your sunshine hours are very low as well, even in summer given the longer days.
We had 10 days without any freeze so the grass got green. But tommorow we expect some days with temps below freezeing (not much), so It'll get grey again.

Quote:
Your Dec, Jan, and Feb monthly mean temps average below freezing, while here they do not. Any warm season grass in your area would look like brown hay all winter with those temps.
Yeah, so? Again - what are you trying to prove?

Quote:
And just take a look at what our temps have been like for a year, vs the extreme warmth you have experienced. A yearly anomaly like that is pretty impressive, and it just can't keep going on like this year after year. Maybe next year I'll get to see Lodz with Jan temps -5F below average. I'd love to see it.
It can't, but I noticed that usually we've got 2 warm winters in a row and then cold one, so I expect the next one to be cold. Of course that doesn't mean it will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Wow, that's our all time record high for January. And while temps over 10C are not that rare in December here (they happen every couple of years), they're an exceptional event in January. Winters in Kharkiv are colder than in ŁÃ³dź, but not by much.
Our temps for last 50 days: http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynre...=REV&Send=Send
Same for Kharkiv: http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynre...=REV&Send=Send

Difference is... big This year we've got oceanic winter, but 2012 looked similar to this years' Kharkiv

Record high in January in ŁÃ³dź is almost 13C, so it was close. But that day in Salsburg they've had 21C(!!!), they beat Januray record by 3 degrees!

Last edited by dexter2; 01-22-2015 at 06:08 AM..

Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,314 times
The city of Corfu at the island of Kerkyra in the Ioanian Sea now in the middle of severe thunderstorm.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,314 times
University of Ioannina today! 30 mm till now with 7 C and RH 94%.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
We had 10 days without any freeze so the grass got green. But tommorow we expect some days with temps below freezeing (not much), so It'll get grey again.
You get grey grass? I don't remember seeing grey grass after a few freezes in Europe.

Speaking of freezing temps, it was 0°C this morning when I arrived at work.

But then the high at Nice airport was a balmy 17°C/63°F.

Flowering mimosa

Daffodils

Stone pines. I swear that thing isn't better at handling traffic than a 4-way stop.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:29 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
It's About Time! Biggest of season so far. Good to have winter back.

2.7" total and counting..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather