Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:25 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's California so far compared to other years:

https://twitter.com/climate_guy/stat...916033/photo/1

I would like to see that graph for the eastern US. The 80's would stand out as incredibly cold, but not in CA. I wonder if a permanent pattern is setting up with these huge stationary high pressure systems over the west, and almost perpetual lows over the east at the 500mb level. This pattern has been going on for a year now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I would like to see that graph for the eastern US. The 80's would stand out as incredibly cold, but not in CA. I wonder if a permanent pattern is setting up with these huge stationary high pressure systems over the west, and almost perpetual lows over the east at the 500mb level. This pattern has been going on for a year now.
Might be breaking down for a bit. This winter doesn't seem like the previous one

Old 12-03-2014, 10:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No. It's been below normal. You're using a graphic based on rankings again... or could be November drove us down more.
Yes, I often use rankings on purpose. Rankings control for the fact some places are naturally more variable than others. 5°F from normal in California is much more unusual than the same departure in the Midwest.

But if you look at the national ranking map, we've been above normal. 82 out of 120, by January to October.

Quote:
Here's the U.S actual departures from normal for the year. Most is below to near normal. I really hate how they use -2 to 0 as a color. They should have -1 / +1 separated. But obviously NOT above normal.

Current Climate Summary Maps - Powered by ACIS - High Plains Regional Climate Center
The difference is the normal used. Your map compares against some 30 year period of record, probably 1981-2010. The ranking map compares against the last 120 years. So it's been been below average compared to the last 30 years, but above average against the last 120 years. Not that far from average for either, though

Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Yes, I often use rankings on purpose. Rankings control for the fact some places are naturally more variable than others. 5°F from normal in California is much more unusual than the same departure in the Midwest.

But if you look at the national ranking map, we've been above normal. 82 out of 120, by January to October.

The difference is the normal used. Your map compares against some 30 year period of record, probably 1981-2010. The ranking map compares against the last 120 years. So it's been been below average compared to the last 30 years, but above average against the last 120 years. Not that far from average for either, though
I kinda call that cherry picking? Whats the purpose mentioning normals then? If that's the case then stop looking at the 30yr normals. Lets go by what you always compare temps too. Next time you post the monthly/yearly mean temp for a location I might ask you what the 120 yr mean is instead. lol

Old 12-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I kinda call that cherry picking? Whats the purpose mentioning normals then? If that's the case then stop looking at the 30yr normals. Lets go by what you always compare temps too. Next time you post the monthly/yearly mean temp for a location I might ask you what the 120 yr mean is instead. lol
Yes, usually the normals are used. But your cold records are against the period of record, not just 30 years. The graphs posted on the previous page all had much more than 30 years.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, usually the normals are used. But your cold records are against the period of record, not just 30 years. The graphs posted on the previous page all had much more than 30 years.
Understand but you weren't replying to me. You replied to Tom regarding 2014 maybe being one of the coldest years in a while, but then you showed the 120 yr ranking maps and said it was above normal.

Almost contradicting. Is 2014 one of the coldest years since 1980s? Or are we below/above "normal" (30yr).

Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Also... in case someone missed it...

Quote:
So I have 1 question... why did TWC decide to bold these words?

So, just to recap from that TWC article..
  • Temperatures were below average across most of the country east of the Rockies for the first 11 months of this year.
  • Temperatures were farthest below average in a swath encompassing the entire Mississippi River Valley and much of the Great Lakes, running 2 to 4 degrees below normal, according to the High Plains Regional Climate Center
  • So far, it’s been the eighth-coldest year on record in Illinois
  • Missouri, Iowa, Indiana and Arkansas are having one of their 12 coldest years of the past 120.
  • There have been 47,402 record lows in the lower 48 so far this year, as opposed to only 33,013 record highs
  • For just the month of November, there were more than four times as many record lows (8,977) as record highs (2,022).
All this cold weather, and yet the headline for the article talked about a “December Thaw” and they bolded the warm text.

If this isn't transparent to the games out there, I have a number you can call.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Understand but you weren't replying to me. You replied to Tom regarding 2014 maybe being one of the coldest years in a while, but then you showed the 120 yr ranking maps and said it was above normal.
The ranking maps were the first thing I found. I can't find a year by year numbers to answer Tom's specific question. My guess is there's been a few years as cold in the last decade or two. Limit to east of the Rockies, and the answer would be diffrente.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather