U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 AM

9,300 posts, read 8,435,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I find it fascinating how they receive heavy rain, hail and gale winds in winter, but not in summer. I know CA is Mediterranean, but it's just weird.

If you like humidity and oppressiveness.

Though it has rained here (brief shower) with temps around 30C and a relatively low humidity (40-50RH?), it did feel pleasant.

However, rain at 99RH% with temps over 24C is incredibly uncomfortable.
This is the reason why Mediterranean climates are the best. You don't want humidity and rain in the warmer months, that means higher heat indexes. You want rain in the cooler months, which helps two things. It prevents the overnight lows from getting too cold, due to cloud cover. It also adds humidity in the winter when dewpoints can otherwise be too low and thus prevents dry skin.

Cool season rains count "more" than warm season rains as well, because evaporation is less. So you can "get by" with less rainfall than regions with more monsoonal type rains.

Many would love dry, sunny, and warm weather all year, but without rain it is an arid climate that will have brush fires, drought restrictions, lack of lushness, and all that goes with it. Basically in my view, you need rain, so you might as well get it in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 AM

9,300 posts, read 8,435,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The Satellite view yesterday. Nice storm! Is this called a NorWester?

Tornado possible. Storm Prediction Center Mesoscale Discussion 1963

Small hail possible. Storm Prediction Center Mesoscale Discussion 1961
That is an awesome satellite picture Cambium!

One thing that photo shows is how storms coming off the west coast are a bit different. In the middle of the US that storm would have dry air behind it, with clear skies, but notice the "bubbly" clouds behind it. That is because the cold air mixing over the relatively mild ocean causes these clouds. It's the reason why after this storm passes, there will still be clouds and chances of rain in CA, whereas in the center of the US a cold front is always preceded by warm air, then rain/snow, then followed by dry arctic high pressure. I didn't know if anyone else ever noticed this?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 AM

4,284 posts, read 3,966,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Many would love dry, sunny, and warm weather all year, but without rain it is an arid climate that will have brush fires, drought restrictions, lack of lushness, and all that goes with it. Basically in my view, you need rain, so you might as well get it in the winter.
You have just described what it's been like in my part of Colorado thanks to the on-going drought. I'd love to see it rain again the way it used to do during monsoon season. Back in the day, we got by just fine with the monsoonal rain showers that would show up in August plus the run-off in spring from the nice deep snow pack up in SW Colorado's San Juan Mountains. The climate here was ideal back then. In summer, it would get up to 90 degrees or so, but the dry air offset the heat and it would drop down to about 50 degrees on summer nights, making it just right to fall asleep sans running the AC or swamp cooler. We got snow in the winter - maybe 30 inches or so from December to April - just enough for a white Christmas and for the kids to get out their sleds a few times. Often the snow would just evaporate away in the dry air when the sun came out, and the roads would clear themselves. It was nice here then. I miss it.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:02 AM

65,082 posts, read 47,438,893 times
Quote:
That is an awesome satellite picture Cambium!

One thing that photo shows is how storms coming off the west coast are a bit different. In the middle of the US that storm would have dry air behind it, with clear skies, but notice the "bubbly" clouds behind it. That is because the cold air mixing over the relatively mild ocean causes these clouds. It's the reason why after this storm passes, there will still be clouds and chances of rain in CA, whereas in the center of the US a cold front is always preceded by warm air, then rain/snow, then followed by dry arctic high pressure. I didn't know if anyone else ever noticed this?
Nice! I never really compared but yeah, quite a difference..

Here's a look at the current water vapor loop. This shows the moisture level in the atmosphere.

First note the dry air over Florida now.

Looks like dry air is being pushed south in the Pacific kinda starting to cut off the Sub Tropical Jet stream.

Third.. that south push in the Pacific is NOT what you want to see if your a cold lover in Eastern U.S. I want to see a north push!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/comp/nhem/wv-animated.gif

Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM

788 posts, read 576,195 times
It was a very nice soak yesterday here just north of LA. The rain was chilly, and it was a blustery, showery night afterward, but that's why we have furnaces.

Some more showers on the coast today and steadier rain in the foothills. Very pretty to look at. The rain over the ocean reminds me of Taiwan. I'll be taking an umbrella when we go stroll around downtown after work. Still shorts, sandals, and short-sleeve weather during the day.

Now we just need about 10 more of these events.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 AM

24 posts, read 21,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I find it fascinating how they receive heavy rain, hail and gale winds in winter, but not in summer. I know CA is Mediterranean, but it's just weird.
The whole point of a Mediterranean climate is that it rains in winter but not in summer. Doesn't seem weird at all. Just a case of perspective about what's normal. I think it's weird to have Christmas in the middle of summer. Does that mean it's not normal?

Old 12-03-2014, 10:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,751 posts, read 39,711,414 times
Quote:
It's the reason why after this storm passes, there will still be clouds and chances of rain in CA, whereas in the center of the US a cold front is always preceded by warm air, then rain/snow, then followed by dry arctic high pressure. I didn't know if anyone else ever noticed this?
Good point. Though not all storms are from cold fronts. Especially in upstate NY and sometimes here, it's possible for clouds to linger after a storm. Pacific Northwest has the same California pattern in the winter but without bouts of sunshine. And of course western Europe.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The Satellite view yesterday. Nice storm! Is this called a NorWester?
Northeasters are called northeasters because the prevailing wind direction is from the northeast. On the west coast, a prevailing northwest wind would be associated with high pressure over the Pacific.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:53 AM

65,082 posts, read 47,438,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Northeasters are called northeasters because the prevailing wind direction is from the northeast. On the west coast, a prevailing northwest wind would be associated with high pressure over the Pacific.
lol. yes. I was making the classic "big coastal storm" reference by looks.

Heres's current surface pressure and winds and temps. I see a 8-10" snow report and that report showing >18" is a 22" snowfall report from West Woodchuck Meadow in Fresno County

Old 12-03-2014, 11:03 AM

Yea, rain storm should mean a southern airflow for California. Why does Los Angeles have an easterly airflow? Guessing it's out of the storm track for moment. Dew points are on the high side, nearly 60F on the coast, indicating more of a subtropical origin to the storm rather than high in the North Pacific.

Overnight rainfall totals for the San Francisco Bay Area:

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pi...-NOUS46-PNSMTR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or