U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,976,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

What seems weird to us native Californians is the idea of rain in summer! Summer is for beach days and afternoons by the pool, not rain!
What many native Californias do NOT realize is that in continental, subtropical, and tropical climates, summer rain is usually short lived, warm, and is followed very quickly by sunny skies and warm to hot muggy temperatures. FAR better beach weather than Southern California's June Gloom which keeps the beaches from getting warm enough to comfortably enjoy the water most of the time in early summer When I visited Miami in May, I could enjoy the beach every morning at from 9AM to noon (Southern California's beaches are rarely warm enough to swim in the afternoon in May, let alone early morning), the afternoon would get a warm thunderstorm and then it would clear up at dinner time. The humidity and the hot sun after the thunderstorm felt far hotter than a day in the low 90s in California which again was good pool/beach weather.

I wish Southern California would get those warm summer showers once a week to keep our hills green, the humidity a bit higher for swimming, and cleaner air quality. We did get a couple of those last summer and I loved the warm nights and warm rain showers.

As for today's rain, it was warm by winter standards, upper 60s and went out in it wearing a light raincoat and sandals. Yesterday's was a bit colder but still mild. I don't mind winter rain in the upper 50s and and overcast skies but "cold" rain becomes annoying when it's in the 40s and low 50s range (like in England and the PNW, and even Northern California). However, any rain that falls in the summer months should be warm enough to wear shorts and sandals in without feeling cold which is why I don't like oceanic climates, even warmer ones. I far prefer subtropical climates that have L.A's temperature range year round with more rain evenly spread throughout the year without sacrificing sunshine. My ideal climate would be 60s and cool rain in winter 2 or 3 times a week and lots of sunny days in between. 80s in summer with mostly sunny days and a couple of warm rain showers a week. At least 50 percent of possible sunshine in winter and 75 percent in summer. Not much "wasted" overcast; it's either sunny or raining.

I am enjoying this week's rain but I'm glad the sun's coming back again this weekend for us to enjoy the improved air quality and it looks like more rain coming later next week. Highs in the 60s and 70s throughout. Very nice weather; far superior to highs in the 90s with dewpoints near 0 F and hot offshore winds.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-03-2014 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Thunder in California is unusual in the winter. Winter rain there is often heavy, but it's not normally torrential like a tropical downpour. San Francisco's heaviest rain from this storm was 0.7" in one hour.

Note that the sea surface temperatures in the direction the storm is from is rather warm — mid 60s in places. These are near-summer conditions for the eastern US. Sea temperatures have been at or near record breaking highs. Dew points are near 60F in San Francisco.
We are getting a heavy downpour in Mission Viejo right now.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-03-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Good point. Though not all storms are from cold fronts. Especially in upstate NY and sometimes here, it's possible for clouds to linger after a storm. Pacific Northwest has the same California pattern in the winter but without bouts of sunshine. And of course western Europe.
Which is why I claimed that L.A.'s climate is more similar to Seattle or even London than any tropical climate in that other thread. Our winter rains come in the same pattern: it's been pretty much overcast and raining on and off for the past two day here with temperatures steady in the 60s. The tempeatures are mild enough to keep the window open and listen to the pitter-patter on the roof. Probably similar temperatures to Oceanic climate's summer rain.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:37 PM

65,082 posts, read 47,438,893 times
Very cool Satellite loop. The sub tropical jet stream is south of the storm but watch how it interacts with it at the end send a plume of moisture into CA.

"New time-lapse animation provides a good picture of why the U.S. West Coast continues to experience record rainfall"

(https://twitter.com/JohnMoralesNBC6/...934653952?s=02)

http://youtu.be/ORm7xQ9oRBo

Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
I look the weather Channel website and now its about 15 C and rainning in Los Angeles, far from a pleasant weather today...
Rain is pleasant only when its combined with warm temperatures.
Not pleasant for summer but very pleasant for winter. Winter rain should be cooler in nature than summer rain. Subtropical climates that get warm rain in summer will get cooler rain in winter similar to what we're been seeing here. Warm summer rain is pretty rare in coastal Southern California but not completely impossible. Look at this clip of a torrential thunderstorm with temperatures in the 90s in San Diego (taken in September of this year). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfzV8QxbH0k

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-03-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,751 posts, read 39,711,414 times
Up in the Sierra Nevada, Yosemite waterfalls now have water in them.

California rain has Yosemite waterfalls flowing again - LA Times

Old 12-03-2014, 11:06 PM

5,518 posts, read 3,372,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
FAR better beach weather than Southern California's June Gloom which keeps the beaches from getting warm enough to comfortably enjoy the water most of the time in early summer When I visited Miami in May, I could enjoy the beach every morning at from 9AM to noon (Southern California's beaches are rarely warm enough to swim in the afternoon in May, let alone early morning)
True. but in Maine those warm days are mostly over by the end of August. In California, the summer gets a later start, but keeps going longer. The SoCal beach may be cool in May and June, but is usually quite hot from July through September and even early October. Locals are aware of this and don't plan May beach days. As I assume folks in Maine don't usually hit the beach in mid-September.

Plus, not everyone loves humidity the way you do... I was in Maine at the end of June a few years ago and for me it was very uncomfortably hot and humid.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,769,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Not pleasant for summer but very pleasant for winter. Winter rain should be cooler in nature than summer rain. Subtropical climates that get warm rain in summer will get cooler rain in winter similar to what we're been seeing here. Warm summer rain is pretty rare in coastal Southern California but not completely impossible. Look at this clip of a torrential thunderstorm with temperatures in the 90s in San Diego (taken in September of this year).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfzV8QxbH0k
I remember Odile remnants we also saw (if i remember correctly) thunderstorms and rain, but nothing near the gusts san diego saw.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:21 AM

1,070 posts, read 879,910 times
I don't know about the rest of my fellow Californians but I am loving all this rain. Last year was so horrible what with the "ridiculously resilient ridge" so I'm really thankful for all the rain we've been having lately. Here on the North Coast we've had pretty significant rain for most of the past week with a bit of sunshine here and there to dry things out a bit. They're calling for more rain through the weekend and into next week so things are starting to look a bit more normal around here.

Last I saw on NOAA the Eureka area is over 100% of normal rainfall totals for the season so far.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,130,238 times
Just happen to read but was shocked that a little over 1 inch is a record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or