Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 04:58 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Current Upper Level Pattern

Distinctive SouthEast Ridge and a bottled up cold air/consolidated Polar Vortex.... But what happens next week?

Still 7 days out but here's the GFS projection. Could be because of that Stratospheric warming having an affect on the entire system. Vortex splits and 1 heads into Quebec.

Result would be a return of well below normal temps in the Northeast with near 0, single digits and teens in New England. Max in the teens/20s/30s north of Philly. Below normal from Tennessee to Maine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 05:16 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
^^ I've noticed that these polar shots have tended to favor the Northeast more than the Midwest this winter. The just seem to have a tilt towards the Northeast more than knifing into the Central US.

At any rate, snowcover will be all but history by tomorrow for Illinois, Indiana, and southern Wisconsin

https://twitter.com/WGNWeatherGuy

Old 03-11-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^ I've noticed that these polar shots have tended to favor the Northeast more than the Midwest this winter.

At any rate, snowcover will be all but history by tomorrow for Illinois, Indiana, and southern Wisconsin
Yeah, I may have jinxed that from the fall wondering if that would ever happen. LOL!! Remind me to ask it again in 6 months.

I think its because the PV was more near Quebec then Manitoba or Ontario.

Snowcover still deep in Northeast. I just measured and even with the light rain I still have 12". Ranges from 10-14" around. NUTS

National Snow Analyses - NOHRSC - The ultimate source for snow information

98.6% of Northeast still covered in snow this morning. On the right are previous years for same day.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 AM

Current temps and radar. Its in the 60s in Southern Maryland and Virginia at 7am March 11th. About 20-25 above normal

Here's the current departure from normal temps. Pretty much the whole country is near or above normal

Old 03-11-2015, 06:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
These last few pages are rather depressing. Is there a chance that cold spell may be no more than a week? I didn't care as much about cold weather a few weeks ago, but now that we're getting into mid-March, mild weather may mean green grass and spring flower and actually nice temperatures instead just not-so cold. I miss greenery.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
These last few pages are rather depressing. Is there a chance that cold spell may be no more than a week? I didn't care as much about cold weather a few weeks ago, but now that we're getting into mid-March, mild weather may mean green grass and spring flower and actually nice temperatures instead just not-so cold. I miss greenery.
My gut says it's quick shot but we learned my gut must be upside down at times. LOL

Still long range, we never know if it's a quick shot or long lasting. I remember last year I was burning wood for heat in April and May and veggies couldn't get put out because of a cold Spring.

Here's latest GFS data for Northern CT. Reminder these aren't the max/min temps but the temps at that specific hour

So it says by next Thursday 8pm it will be -4.7°C(23F) at BDL. Looks to stay below normal after this week but the coldest air looks to be 1-2 days according to GFS..

850mb temps back into the negative teens.

Couple of storms next 2 weeks

NWS Boston

Today regarding the models being off on temps:

AS FOR MODEL GUIDANCE...MOS TEMPS HAVE BEEN DISPLAYING A COOL BIAS RECENTLY AND PROBABLY DUE TO INCREASING MARCH SUN ANGLE AND MOS STILL USING COOL SEASON EQUATIONS. AS A RESULT BIAS CORRECTED MOS IS WARMER AND MORE REASONABLE GIVEN THE PATTERN. THEREFORE HIGHS TODAY WERE BASED ON BIAS CORRECTED MOS AND THEN ADDING 2 TO 3 DEGS

THU NIGHT INTO FRI...

WILL FEEL COOLER TOWARD THE END OF THE WEEK THAN IT DID TO BEGIN THE WEEK AS 850MB TEMPS FALL BACK TO AROUND -4C TO -10C. THIS WILL ALLOW BOTH HIGHS AND LOWS TO SLIP BACK TO NEAR TO BELOW NORMAL FOR EARLY MARCH. DRY WX PREVAILS UNDER HIGH PRES.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Cherry and almond trees blossoming now.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

It is pre-spring season in NYC and it it sounds gross.

Before showers — certainly before flowers — there comes that ill-defined time that the fashion houses have seen fit to call “pre-spring,” but that New Yorkers know as the week or two when black snow wanes into black puddles, and the sins buried beneath February’s snowstorms reveal themselves in March’s squalid muck.

Here, beneath the snow, slumbered the vices and indulgences of a city beaten down by harrowing waves of ice, sleet, slush and arctic winds: Airheads candy wrappers, Rice Krispies Treats wrappers, Whoppers wrappers, M&M’s wrappers, chocolate pudding cups, scratch-off lottery tickets, Smirnoff bottles, Fireball whisky bottles, rum bottles and enough sugary drink containers — Arizona Iced Teas, flattened Coke cans, CapriSuns, Snapples of every flavor

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/11/ny...=top-news&_r=0

Old 03-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It is pre-spring season in NYC and it it sounds gross.
Disgusting

On a lighter note... Above 11,500 feet in Hawaii.

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/s...578240/photo/1

Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 AM

LOL.

Dewpoint rose to 45°F at 10 am! I wonder how high the temperature will rise? I'm thinking upper 50s are possible as long a skies stay clear; sun is strong enough this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather